I'm always Hungry Ever since i started cycling

.Froot.

Executive Member
Can't remember exactly, the certificate is somewhere... 3 hours 40 odd... which is my best time in the 3/4 Argus's I've done.
Not bad... the last time I rode it was in '07 and I ended up with a time of 2:51.

.Froot.

Executive Member
How so? I can only see a strain being put on arms due to the arms never leaving the bike.
Your arms take around 10-20% of your bodyweight when riding (obviously depends on what position you are sitting). You should see what your arms will feel like after 6 hours on the road (200km in my case). They hurt like hell.... and I do take them off the bars quite a lot to keep them stretched...

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Your arms take around 10-20% of your bodyweight when riding (obviously depends on what position you are sitting). You should see what your arms will feel like after 6 hours on the road (200km in my case). They hurt like hell.... and I do take them off the bars quite a lot to keep them stretched...
Well keeping them on the bar for 6 hours would undoubtedly make them hurt like hell. Heck, even try keeping your arms stretched out in front of you in a straight line and see how long you can last.

.Froot.

Executive Member
Well keeping them on the bar for 6 hours would undoubtedly make them hurt like hell. Heck, even try keeping your arms stretched out in front of you in a straight line and see how long you can last.
The whole thing is that the constant body weight on your arms for longer than 4 hours gets to you. The 200km I'm referring to was in the Hartebeespoort area... and included over 1700m of vertical climbing- a real killer on the arms.

Deenem

Expert Member
good morning people. Ever since i started cycling, I'm always hungry.:sick: I cycle for about 9kms in the morning and for about 10kms in the afternoon.

I guess this is a sign that the metabolism is hard at work. or i am wrong?:rolleyes:

I think I'm also seeing some positive results... i will post pictures soon... i have the before and after pictures... :D
Basically your body is saying, 'You're not giving the right food I need to power the excercise' . You may think that you're eating enough, but you're probably eating the wrong thing, like putting petrol into a diesel engine, putting more and more of the wrong thing in isn't going to help.

What you body needs for cycling is slow release carbs. If you're eating more protein and raw sugars, then all you're doing it putting more diesel into the petrol engine (and putting on weight at the same time).

Good sources of slow release carbs are rice, grains, beans, baked potatoes (pasta is a fast release carb, good the night before you cycle). Try eating those instead of proteins (meat, dairy, protein bars) or raw sugars (enery drinks, energy bars, desserts)

As soon as you start eating the 'right' food to fuel your engine, your body will turn off the hungry signals.

foozball3000

Executive Member
Running vs Cycling depends on your body's proportions. For me, running is easy and I can go really long distances quite fast... but I hate it. I have a need for speed. So I prefer Cycling. :D

.Froot.

Executive Member
Basically your body is saying, 'You're not giving the right food I need to power the excercise' . You may think that you're eating enough, but you're probably eating the wrong thing, like putting petrol into a diesel engine, putting more and more of the wrong thing in isn't going to help.

What you body needs for cycling is slow release carbs. If you're eating more protein and raw sugars, then all you're doing it putting more diesel into the petrol engine (and putting on weight at the same time).

Good sources of slow release carbs are rice, grains, beans, baked potatoes (pasta is a fast release carb, good the night before you cycle). Try eating those instead of proteins (meat, dairy, protein bars) or raw sugars (enery drinks, energy bars, desserts)

As soon as you start eating the 'right' food to fuel your engine, your body will turn off the hungry signals.
It depends on how you make the pasta. I always eat my pasta aldente and it's pretty much the only carb I eat. I also had to up my intake after I started riding and eating small meals at regular intervals is pretty much the best you can do. I tend to go for seed loaves with lettuce/tomato on it, it's healthy and doesn't tend to make you put on weight.

Deenem

Expert Member
It depends on how you make the pasta. I always eat my pasta aldente and it's pretty much the only carb I eat. I also had to up my intake after I started riding and eating small meals at regular intervals is pretty much the best you can do. I tend to go for seed loaves with lettuce/tomato on it, it's healthy and doesn't tend to make you put on weight.
Before a race I'll usually make a beeeeeeg pot of brown rice a week before and then every night have it with something different. Easy, and heathly as well.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
The whole thing is that the constant body weight on your arms for longer than 4 hours gets to you. The 200km I'm referring to was in the Hartebeespoort area... and included over 1700m of vertical climbing- a real killer on the arms.
I can imagine.

.Froot.

Executive Member
Before a race I'll usually make a beeeeeeg pot of brown rice a week before and then every night have it with something different. Easy, and heathly as well.
I eat pasta for four to five days beforehand as well as my protein shakes.

Deenem

Expert Member
4? Damn.... I usually take two to three. But then again my races never last much more than 2h30min either.
I'm hoping to break three hours for the first time next week at 'Fast One'. Had an accident last year just before the finish, think I got a 03h03 in the end :(

.Froot.

Executive Member
I'm hoping to break three hours for the first time next week at 'Fast One'. Had an accident last year just before the finish, think I got a 03h03 in the end :(
I've never ridden that one before. It's just a little far for me- drive down to the start, then have to get a lift back from the finishline and drive back... not worth it for me. I reckon I'll do a 2h15-2h20 on that one though.

blunomore

Honorary Master
I gymmed yesterday afternoon late and again early this morning. It really makes you hungry !

.Froot.

Executive Member
Let me give you a little pointer that could push the advantage to your side. I have been racing with USN products now for the past 5 years. It really works (contrary to many people's opinions). I use Gaktek and VO2 Max. Okay sure, the 8 GT's and 2 VO2's cost around R50 per race, but for the performance increase it's worthwhile. They claim it gives you 15% more power- I agree. It sounded dodgy to me too but it's helped me set amazing personal records in the past.