I'm colourblind & now the latest MSN Live Messenger uses COLOURS ONLY 2 show statuses

AmaDownload

Oh, nooooooo!!

I just upgraded to the latest MSN Live Messenger (i think it's now version 9), but where previously I could see what my buddies were up to (like busy/on the phone/away/available) with little pictures, now M$ decided to use COLOURS ONLY !!!!

So red is supposed to be away, yellow supposed to say busy and green available, (i probably got that wrong too), but I CANNOT SEE anything any longer!!!

I am sure I am not the only colourblind MSN user on this forum? Is there anybody with a fix for this problem? - Even if I could just change the colours from green/yellow/red to black/white/blue/red (there are only 4 statuses left now as well)...

I tried calling Bill Gates, but he doesn't work there anymore..

Last edited:

Grimspoon

Executive Member
That really sux dude, I can't say I have ever heard of someone having this kinda of issue, but I can see it is a serious issue indeed. I wonder if MS even takes colour blind people such as yourself into consideration?

I would seriously try and send them an email, I don't know how much luck you will have but give it a try. Other than that I don't know if there possibly other messengers out there that you could possibly use. I am sure someone on here will be able to tell you.

bekdik

Honorary Master
As another colour challenged reader, I can sympathize. In fact I was today bitching about router leds that switch between orange and green - I had to ask a passer by what colour the led was!

Unfortunately it's very common for people to ignore colour blindness, which can cause all kinds of problems, not the least of which is spending an hour looking at a blue screen which allegedly has red writing on it!

nic777

Expert Member
Do you use MSN for anything more than text chatting?

If so, maybe you can change to Pidgin which is a great program for msn (and other chat programs) but not able yet to support video and audio.

Pidgin show a message and change the icon to indicate status changes.

AmaDownload

No, I use MSN basically only for text chatting really..

The one solution is to go back to version 8.5... Frankly i only upgraded because a pop-up told me I should :)

I bumped into A-Patch.. It tweaks a lot in the newest version of messenger (like removing all the advertising, etc), but unfortunately it doesn't allow you to customise the icons...

EISH

bratwurst

Expert Member
Just upgraded my messenger today, and I hate the new look...
Same here. The new look has put me off so much that it was quicker to remove and install the 8.5 version again then upgrading to the newest version.

Somehow after removing the new version, the "A new version is available" does not pop up anymore.

But for f sakes mircosoft, stop changing the look and feel of all applications, rather make them more stable so I don't friggin get the error message: Application Hang up :D

Vegeta

Executive Member
mmm you're colourblind? I'm sorry but that's gotta suck. Whats a good movie like for you? Or something colourful like transformers?

alkit

Digsby all the way:
www.digsby.com

It will connect you to the MSN service and you can customize the icons as you wish.
It has so many additional features as well, that I never use msn/google chat/facebook chat anymore.

It really is a great program and worth a try!

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Granted I'm not colourblind, but I'm loving the new MSN's multi-sign-in ability... and the interface is something I got used to awhile ago..

LillPienkPawny

mmm you're colourblind? I'm sorry but that's gotta suck. Whats a good movie like for you? Or something colourful like transformers?
It really isnt that bad . Some people dont even know they are colour blind till some one points it out to them , most colour blind people cant see the diffrence betwen certain shades of green red and orange . So they wouldnt really pick it up while watching something like a movie.

Fortunatly colourblind people see easier through certain types of camoflage so thats one good side of it.

Last edited: