I'm currently feeling like Rain is taking me for a ****.

ShaneDylan96

I got myself Rain 5G a couple of months ago (The R700.00 package) and it was good for about 4 months, But for the last 6 weeks, My connection is utter garbage with speeds so low that the Speedtest fails every time...

I restarted the router last week Tuesday and I finally got my router connected to my closest tower (First time it ever connected to it) and I immediately noticed a change in speed... I got speeds of 300mbps down and 30mbps up (Which I never got before)... Now that lasted for only 2 days and then the router decided it wants to connect me to the further away tower out of its own and since then, I've been having no luck with it at all... I can't get my connection to break even 10mbps down and 3 mbps up... Support on Twitter only answered their dm's once and started ghosting me and that was last week... I'm not sure if the towers are screwed or if I'm screwed and if I should just rather cancel it and waste my money further.

Anybody else with similar problems lately? I can't even play games online because the speeds are worse than a mobile hotspot and it's just a lagging stuttering mess and the jitter on the speedtests are always very high.

Is there anything I can do to fix my problem or am I never gonna get the full experience of 5G? Sadly there isn't Fibre in my area and other packages are way too expensive to even consider.

*Images added to give insight... Faster speeds were from the closest towers and then it threw me back onto the further away tower and I've got a feeling that both towers are busted... This morning I got fast speeds again which only lasted for about 4 hours and then it dipped again... I did more speedtests but all of them failed when it got to upload speed testing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201017_222853_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20201017_222853_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg
    925 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_20201018_001613_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20201018_001613_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_20201020_170534_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.jpg
    Screenshot_20201020_170534_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20201020_211208_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20201020_211208_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20201020_211233_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20201020_211233_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20201021_064915_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20201021_064915_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20201022_233515_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.png
    Screenshot_20201022_233515_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.png
    121.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20201026_220546_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20201026_220546_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20201020_182235_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.jpg
    Screenshot_20201020_182235_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57

ShaneDylan96

Look at all the other complaints, it's not just you they taking for a ****.
This is becoming such a sad joke... No wonder they lost a lawsuit 2 weeks back for false advertising... Pair that with the fact that hard lockdown is coming back and everybody is gonna "overload" their towers again.
Well... Guess I have to go back to using mobile data instead.

ShaneDylan96

@rain_networks @rain_mobile

I would get in touch with their network team and have them manually plak you onto the tower with better speeds.
They won't answer me... When they do, It's a basic copy and paste response... I'm on the tower close to me again now but the speeds are atrocious and I'm only getting 3 out of 5 bars and last Tuesday I got 5 out of 5 bars... It's as if the tower got up and moved.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
An ISP is a network.
Each ISP has it's own, physical network.
There are great ones. There are kak ones.
Whether you use Mobile, LTE, 5G, DSL or Fibre. Each ISP has it's own network.

RAIN has a kak network.
Even if you were physically connected to the tower somehow, fkall would change.

They don’t understand it themselves.
We've tried.
Edit: spelling

Last edited:

Totempole

Expert Member
Each ISP has it's own, physical network.
There are great ones. There are kak ones.

... and then there's Rain's network, in a league of kak all on its own.

Much like a pyramid scheme, they recruit new customers with promises their network can't keep. You'll get great speeds for a while until they de-prioritise you to make room for the next poor fool that falls for it.

Sure, there's a small group of users that are still getting great performance and have been since day 1. These are the user's they need to use as examples of their "stellar" network performance, to keep investors happy, and new customers flowing in.

Just a theory, don't quote me on it, but an extremely plausible one based on recent reports.

Space

you gotta ask whether it is one of the reasons their founder and CEO up and left....

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
I got myself Rain 5G a couple of months ago (The R700.00 package) and it was good for about 4 months, But for the last 6 weeks, My connection is utter garbage with speeds so low that the Speedtest fails every time...

I restarted the router last week Tuesday and I finally got my router connected to my closest tower (First time it ever connected to it) and I immediately noticed a change in speed... I got speeds of 300mbps down and 30mbps up (Which I never got before)... Now that lasted for only 2 days and then the router decided it wants to connect me to the further away tower out of its own and since then, I've been having no luck with it at all... I can't get my connection to break even 10mbps down and 3 mbps up... Support on Twitter only answered their dm's once and started ghosting me and that was last week... I'm not sure if the towers are screwed or if I'm screwed and if I should just rather cancel it and waste my money further.

Anybody else with similar problems lately? I can't even play games online because the speeds are worse than a mobile hotspot and it's just a lagging stuttering mess and the jitter on the speedtests are always very high.

Is there anything I can do to fix my problem or am I never gonna get the full experience of 5G? Sadly there isn't Fibre in my area and other packages are way too expensive to even consider.

*Images added to give insight... Faster speeds were from the closest towers and then it threw me back onto the further away tower and I've got a feeling that both towers are busted... This morning I got fast speeds again which only lasted for about 4 hours and then it dipped again... I did more speedtests but all of them failed when it got to upload speed testing.

Good morning @ShaneDylan96

My apologies for the inconvenience could you please provide me with the email address that is linked to your rain account, let me take a look into this issue for you and get it sorted.

Nemesis77

Have you tried configuring the antenna configuration? This solved it for me. Kept switching between 2 towers until I selected the antenna configuration that basically forced it to the tower O wanted. Look in the manual by clicking help in the web portal of the router. I believe they call it antenna index. There are 10 to choose from, you have to test all to find the best one. By default the router is configured to automatically retest and decide for itself which antenna index is the best, disable the auto switch feature.

Spartan117

Well Shane, RAIN is messed up. They recently launched a 4G Unlimited Mobile Only Package for R 379 as well. Meaning, there will be more congestion on their Towers. I used to be on the 4G Home Unlimited Package but that was useless. Intermittent connections. Then I switched over and degraded to 4G 19-Hour Unlimited again. Also useless because I have 5 Bars but there is NO INTERNET. I cancelled completely because RAIN won't improve believe me... RAIN will get worse. And on top of that, there might be another resurgence or spike of Covid 19 Cases (Second Wave) meaning, we will go into a Hard Level 5 Lockdown again if confirmed by the Government. Then RAIN will be Bad again!!

So, I would highly suggest that you CANCEL their 5G Plan because RAIN will never improve..Vodacom and MTN pay lots of Money to keep their Towers Up and Running but RAIN doesn't pay for their Towers. They just ROAM mostly. There will always be a fluctuation in their Speeds because RAIN is unstable!!!

I am using Normal 4G LTE Mobile Data even though it is a bit pricey though, but atleast I can browse the internet, download, upload, Stream and play games online on my Xbox One.

With RAIN I couldn't do any of those because the PING and Jitter is too high. Download Speed is 0.09 mbps and Upload is 1.23 mbps. That is completely USELESS for me!!!

I say, CANCEL buddy!!!

Spartan117

I doubt anything will be fixed... This morning, My connection is constantly jumping from 4 bars to 3 bars.
It won't get fixed ShaneDylan96. RAIN is useless. I hope by next year that Optic Fiber will be everywhere in South Africa so that all LTE Mobile DATA can be discontinued for good. Their making too much money but provide a poor service!!! A bunch of useless consultants that works at RAIN. They always offer the same COPY and PASTE support. How pathetic is that???

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Well Shane, RAIN is messed up. They recently launched a 4G Unlimited Mobile Only Package for R 379 as well. Meaning, there will be more congestion on their Towers. I used to be on the 4G Home Unlimited Package but that was useless. Intermittent connections. Then I switched over and degraded to 4G 19-Hour Unlimited again. Also useless because I have 5 Bars but there is NO INTERNET. I cancelled completely because RAIN won't improve believe me... RAIN will get worse. And on top of that, there might be another resurgence or spike of Covid 19 Cases (Second Wave) meaning, we will go into a Hard Level 5 Lockdown again if confirmed by the Government. Then RAIN will be Bad again!!

So, I would highly suggest that you CANCEL their 5G Plan because RAIN will never improve..Vodacom and MTN pay lots of Money to keep their Towers Up and Running but RAIN doesn't pay for their Towers. They just ROAM mostly. There will always be a fluctuation in their Speeds because RAIN is unstable!!!

I am using Normal 4G LTE Mobile Data even though it is a bit pricey though, but atleast I can browse the internet, download, upload, Stream and play games online on my Xbox One.

With RAIN I couldn't do any of those because the PING and Jitter is too high. Download Speed is 0.09 mbps and Upload is 1.23 mbps. That is completely USELESS for me!!!

I say, CANCEL buddy!!!

Hi @Spartan117 I hope that you do consider us in the future, right now there is still a lot of work we are doing with regards to the Network and improving the capacity so hopefully, you will consider us in the future. There are some people experiencing issues like the case of @ShaneDylan96, and we will work on resolving these issues so that you can have a better experience overall.

Spartan117

Hi @Spartan117 I hope that you do consider us in the future, right now there is still a lot of work we are doing with regards to the Network and improving the capacity so hopefully, you will consider us in the future. There are some people experiencing issues like the case of @ShaneDylan96, and we will work on resolving these issues so that you can have a better experience overall.
Well Rain Mobile,

Your support is ridiculous. I am an IT Support and never in my life have I encountered such a Copy and Paste reply like the consultants at RAIN. They always say, Restart the Router, Optimize it and put it close to a Windows. Well, that is useless. I configure Routers and even that doesn't help on Rains Network. If I configure my Router with Vodacom, MTN, CellC or Telkom LTE and add a Poynting Antenna to my Router, there is a major improvement. However, with RAIN, there is no improvement at all...

I am not insulting RAIN Company, but believe me, it maybe not today, tomorrow, but in the future RAIN will cease to exist because of their lack of knowledge, their poor support, services and poor DL and UL Speeds. That can't be changed because there is too many congestion on your Towers. Unlimited Data means nothing if there is NO INTERNET or INTERMITTENT CONNECTIONS. I would rather prefer to pay lots of money for an ISP that provide an ALWAYS ON INTERNET with great DL and UL Speeds.

As the saying goes,CHEAP STUFF NEVER WORKS OUT. IT HAS TOO MANY CONS...I would rather pay for expensive data packages and get what I pay for, but for RAIN, I will never Opt for RAIN even if you manage to go to 6G within the coming Years, but there will never be an improvement on the RAIN Network, not now, that ever!

Too many consumers are complaining because your Internet works for a certain time only. You cannot make any excuses because I used your 4G Home Unlimited and 19-Hour Rain packages. I believe that 5G Home or Premium won' be any different because it's still RAIN. Pointless and not worth opting for.

I would rather pay for more expensive 4G LTE or 5G LTE Packages that doesn't Throttle me at all.

For your sake, I hope RAIN will improve over the 5 - 10 years so that you can atleast offer a Great Service and Customer Support to your consumers.

And lastly, please get a VOIP or SKYPE number so that your customers can atleast Reach you...Queuing doesn't work as it makes customers frustrated.

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Well Rain Mobile,

Your support is ridiculous. I am an IT Support and never in my life have I encountered such a Copy and Paste reply like the consultants at RAIN. They always say, Restart the Router, Optimize it and put it close to a Windows. Well, that is useless. I configure Routers and even that doesn't help on Rains Network. If I configure my Router with Vodacom, MTN, CellC or Telkom LTE and add a Poynting Antenna to my Router, there is a major improvement. However, with RAIN, there is no improvement at all...

I am not insulting RAIN Company, but believe me, it maybe not today, tomorrow, but in the future RAIN will cease to exist because of their lack of knowledge, their poor support, services and poor DL and UL Speeds. That can't be changed because there is too many congestion on your Towers. Unlimited Data means nothing if there is NO INTERNET or INTERMITTENT CONNECTIONS. I would rather prefer to pay lots of money for an ISP that provide an ALWAYS ON INTERNET with great DL and UL Speeds.

As the saying goes,CHEAP STUFF NEVER WORKS OUT. IT HAS TOO MANY CONS...I would rather pay for expensive data packages and get what I pay for, but for RAIN, I will never Opt for RAIN even if you manage to go to 6G within the coming Years, but there will never be an improvement on the RAIN Network, not now, that ever!

Too many consumers are complaining because your Internet works for a certain time only. You cannot make any excuses because I used your 4G Home Unlimited and 19-Hour Rain packages. I believe that 5G Home or Premium won' be any different because it's still RAIN. Pointless and not worth opting for.

I would rather pay for more expensive 4G LTE or 5G LTE Packages that doesn't Throttle me at all.

For your sake, I hope RAIN will improve over the 5 - 10 years so that you can atleast offer a Great Service and Customer Support to your consumers.

And lastly, please get a VOIP or SKYPE number so that your customers can atleast Reach you...Queuing doesn't work as it makes customers frustrated.

Hi @Spartan117 Our goal is to provide affordable data to everyone and have data accessible to all, and as I mentioned before, we will continue to improve our Network and capacity for our customers to have a better experience. Right now you can contact us on 081 610 1000 if you require assistance over the phone.

ShaneDylan96

Well Rain Mobile,

Somebody from their support team got back to me and it's exactly the same... They said they changed some settings and I should restart my router pointing to the tower closest to me and it didn't help at all.