iMessage activation issue - Telkom

Kiemo

Expert Member
The leave it on .. Ans wait for iMessage to active it will take a few minutes or so ... but just leave it ... I’m using freeme and I never had a problem with my iMessages unless I take out my sim... but I suggest you guys ... use your Apple ID as a iMessage instead of your contact number ... you can use both don’t matter

susefan

The leave it on .. Ans wait for iMessage to active it will take a few minutes or so ... but just leave it ... I’m using freeme and I never had a problem with my iMessages unless I take out my sim... but I suggest you guys ... use your Apple ID as a iMessage instead of your contact number ... you can use both don’t matter
My main use of iMessages is to sync sms between devices. I use two devices with two different numbers in different situations. With calls I set call forwarding from the device that is away to the one I am using, not so convenient to do every time I leave one device behind but it’s the only way to do it. For sms however I don’t know how to forward them automatically so the only way to get them from one device to the other is to have iMessages activated for both numbers with same iCloud account and have the two devices connected to the internet and sms will sync and I won’t miss the OTPs when I need them.

Kiemo

Expert Member
My main use of iMessages is to sync sms between devices. I use two devices with two different numbers in different situations. With calls I set call forwarding from the device that is away to the one I am using, not so convenient to do every time I leave one device behind but it’s the only way to do it. For sms however I don’t know how to forward them automatically so the only way to get them from one device to the other is to have iMessages activated for both numbers with same iCloud account and have the two devices connected to the internet and sms will sync and I won’t miss the OTPs when I need them.
Sms Won’t sync so that’s why I said instead of using a number as a primary iMessage contact use your Apple ID as a primary

susefan

There might be a How To that I am not aware of but for sms to sync two way I need both numbers activated in iMessages and both devices signed to same Apple ID.

Cool_Guy1989

Seems Telkom finally fixed the issue. My number is now activated. iStore had confirmed that there was a problem with Telkom.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Seems that issue is back - wife's iMessage (7+; Freeme contract) refuses to activate using the cell number - blergh

PS: that is on wifi and the 'data' method

Last edited:

VanillaBox

Expert Member
Seems that issue is back - wife's iMessage (7+) refuses to activate using the cell number - blergh

PS: that is on wifi - haven't tried the 'data' method yet -

iMessage activate only with international SMS, so load bit airtime, and it will activate, SMS bundles only work for local SMS

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
iMessage activate only with international SMS, so load bit airtime, and it will activate, SMS bundles only work for local SMS
Seems I can only buy a minimum of R50 airtime - what a waste just to activate something.

Are they actively trying to get people to drop the Freeme contract or something?

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member
Seems I can only buy a minimum of R50 airtime - what a waste just to activate something.

Are they actively trying to get people to drop the Freeme contract or something?
Did you port your number over to Telkom or is it a brand new Telkom number?

Jacada

This problem has re-surfaced for me after upgrading to 14.6. My iMessage was activated but immediately after the upgrade it wanted to activate again. Now it's just stuck on "waiting for activation".
Have tried all the tips in this thread with no luck so far.

spacedman

This problem has re-surfaced for me after upgrading to 14.6. My iMessage was activated but immediately after the upgrade it wanted to activate again. Now it's just stuck on "waiting for activation".
Have tried all the tips in this thread with no luck so far.
Same issue, but I'm on MTN. Did you ever find a fix?

GudaniLuvhani

Seems like the issue is a simple spending limit one. For contract users one must dial *180# and go to manage account, increase spending limit. By default the limit is zero on most packages with bundled minutes and data (Prepaid users must just add airtime). This means the activation sms can’t be allowed by the billing platform as it can’t be billed with R0.00 spend limit. The included bundles don’t cover the cost of the “premium” sms. Call centre agents do need to be updated on this. This was more than 3 months of waiting. I was ready to cancel the contract

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Seems like the issue is a simple spending limit one. For contract users one must dial *180# and go to manage account, increase spending limit. By default the limit is zero on most packages with bundled minutes and data (Prepaid users must just add airtime). This means the activation sms can’t be allowed by the billing platform as it can’t be billed with R0.00 spend limit. The included bundles don’t cover the cost of the “premium” sms. Call centre agents do need to be updated on this. This was more than 3 months of waiting. I was ready to cancel the contract

Thank You.

Saddest part for me is that it's 2021 and you have to use USSD on a R20,000 smartphone because their app (and website) is such a pile of putrescence

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
I find the website a confusing mess

Same with the app

No idea how to use the WhatsApp facility

Maybe it's just me....
That’s true lol.
WhatsApp is probably the easiest, probably similar to USSD.

0811601700 - Add that as a contact and send a message to get the menu, you also can manage all the numbers under your profile.