iMessage activation issue

iEverything

Hi,

Since last week Sunday I have been unable to activate my Vodacom number with iMessage.

I would switch on iMessage - it would warn me about the charge and then I would get a failed to activate message and then an sms failure to send the international sms to +447786205094

- I have tested the receiving of an International sms
- Confirmed with Vodacom that my account is open for all services, content and VAS
- Changed Apple ID password
- Reset network settings
- Reloaded iOS14.4
- Loaded iOS 14.5 Beta 3

I have literally tried EVERYTHING - got 3rd level support calls logged @ Vodacom & Apple

Yesterday I switched off iMessage on my wife's iPhone 11 who is also on Vodacom (it was activated with both her mobile number and Apple ID) - when I turned it on again it is doing exactly what my iPhone is doing in failing to activate iMessage and the sms failure message to +447786205094

So....here is my big ask to confirm I am not mad and it is not just me - is anyone on an iPhone with an activated iMessage to their mobile number willing to switch off iMessage and turn it back on to see if it registers their mobile number again with iMessage?

I am convinced there is an activation issue between Vodacom and Apple and it is not my localised issue

Thanks for any assistance....

Nahnotme

Try loading R5 or so airtime. I had the same issue and then just tried it. Seems the activation messages doesn't go through bundles or included airtime.

iEverything

Thanks...

prob is that it is a contract and not prepaid so cannot load airtime on it.

SHL

Expert Member
Hi,

Since last week Sunday I have been unable to activate my Vodacom number with iMessage.

I would switch on iMessage - it would warn me about the charge and then I would get a failed to activate message and then an sms failure to send the international sms to +447786205094

- I have tested the receiving of an International sms
- Confirmed with Vodacom that my account is open for all services, content and VAS
- Changed Apple ID password
- Reset network settings
- Reloaded iOS14.4
- Loaded iOS 14.5 Beta 3

I have literally tried EVERYTHING - got 3rd level support calls logged @ Vodacom & Apple

Yesterday I switched off iMessage on my wife's iPhone 11 who is also on Vodacom (it was activated with both her mobile number and Apple ID) - when I turned it on again it is doing exactly what my iPhone is doing in failing to activate iMessage and the sms failure message to +447786205094

So....here is my big ask to confirm I am not mad and it is not just me - is anyone on an iPhone with an activated iMessage to their mobile number willing to switch off iMessage and turn it back on to see if it registers their mobile number again with iMessage?

I am convinced there is an activation issue between Vodacom and Apple and it is not my localised issue

Thanks for any assistance....

Check this post from 2015. Solution on page 2.

Chiller89

Try loading R5 or so airtime. I had the same issue and then just tried it. Seems the activation messages doesn't go through bundles or included airtime.
Chiming in to say this has absolutely fixed the issue every time I've had iMessage not activate.

Depending on what type of contract you may have to purchase airtime through your Vodacom account or something of the sort.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think there are Vodacom contracts where you simply cannot load airtime, you should always be able to. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

iEverything

Chiming in to say this has absolutely fixed the issue every time I've had iMessage not activate.

Depending on what type of contract you may have to purchase airtime through your Vodacom account or something of the sort.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think there are Vodacom contracts where you simply cannot load airtime, you should always be able to. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Just bought a R5 airtime voucher on takealot and on both iPhones that have contracts it will not allow me to load the airtime, called 135 and they said not possible because it is an open contract

iEverything

Tried all of that except the last post where he eventually got someone @ Vodacom to ‘do something’ - wish they would do something for me as well.

Scott

Expert Member
Company Rep
Also having this issue. Just migrated from prepaid to a contract and cannot get iMessage of FaceTime activated on this phone, even after buying airtime etc.

iEverything

I just spoke to the premium help desk who told me they have had a few customers calling in this week with the same issue.

I am convinced Vodacom has an issue with iMessage activation via sms

Scott

Expert Member
Company Rep
No doubt it is a Vodacom issue, I haven't tried calling in. Never had this issue when I was on prepaid so seems like there is some kind of block on outgoing overseas SMSes when on contract or something. @me if you ever find out the solution..

Byronsingaram

Hi , IM having the exact same issue as ieverything, I Cannot activate Facetime or Imessage from Monday with my mobile number. Email addresses are activated fine but mobile number keeps failing to activate. And Constantly getting a message "Failed to send to 44xxxx" Which is Apple's activation server in the UK for IMessage. I confirmed with Vodacom that my contract is able to receive and send International SMS's and have tested this. Logged a call with Apple Support and now it's been escalated to senior engineers but still no resolution. No doubt this must be something on Vodacom side as my wife's activation on MTN goes thru in seconds. but no one at Vodacom is able to assist or knows what could be the issue. I have tried all forums and articles on trying to resolve but nothing seems to work , even went back to a previous Iphone 11 and same issue occurs. So it's not the device. Hoping Vodacom and Apple can resolve this soon for us ..

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
I just ported to Vodacom this morning and I see not only are the bastardized blocking it, but I’m getting billed R1.50 for each failed attempt.

Byronsingaram

Has anyone received any updates from Vodacom ? Apple support closed my ticket and said it's a Carrier issue (Vodacom)

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Has anyone received any updates from Vodacom ? Apple support closed my ticket and said it's a Carrier issue (Vodacom)

Support is worthless, they telling me to take the phone into a Vodacom store, as if the guy in the store can solve a network issue.

It is a carrier issue.

Karel11

I can't see any solution in this thread. Where exactly is it?

Byronsingaram

Just an update on this issue, Vodacom Twitter page is full of other users having the exact same issue with the activation of Facetime and Imessage as IM facing, and been robbed of the R1.50 per SMS . Vodacom giving me the run around with testing of updating APN and network configurations , but nothing is working. Vodacom have no idea how to resolve this ...

iEverything

Senior account management (not call centre or a store) have finally confirmed to me that they have identified a sms routing issue when the iMessage activation sms goes out that they have escalated to 4th line to resolve - this was Wed morning. You can stop trying to resolve it or calling them as it is on their backend - hopefully it gets fixed in the next day or so. If they notify me will let the forum know