Immigrating to the UK

Yes, this is the crux of the issue when they raise it to 38k a year.

Currently, we meet the financial requirements because my wife earns more than the min (18k GBP) per year over the last 12 months - we just need a job in the UK that pays more than that now to complete the requirements.

Hence why I was saying, when they raise it to 38k - above what she currently earns; then her job here won't count towards the financial requirement and she'd need to go to the UK for 6 months, earning 38k or more - and only then I could apply for a visa.
Having left the UK a while back thankfully stayed long enough to get the UK passports for my entire family. We went through the trauma of hoping we still qualified with all the new rule changes every year. One thing I recall from my time, was that the rules applied to new applicants so if you got in on the old system that's the method by which they had to base your application. Hopefully that still applies here? The govt tried to change the rule to make it retrospective in my time (2006 - 2010) but it was taken to court by others, so we benefited from having to qualify on the rules on which my visa was granted.

Can I ask what job pays around 18K a year? I assume it's part time? I would have not thought you could get a salary like that nowadays.

Having left the UK a while back thankfully stayed long enough to get the UK passports for my entire family. We went through the trauma of hoping we still qualified with all the new rule changes every year. One thing I recall from my time, was that the rules applied to new applicants so if you got in on the old system that's the method by which they had to base your application. Hopefully that still applies here? The govt tried to change the rule to make it retrospective in my time (2006 - 2010) but it was taken to court by others, so we benefited from having to qualify on the rules on which my visa was granted.

Can I ask what job pays around 18K a year? I assume it's part time? I would have not thought you could get a salary like that nowadays.

New rules would apply to us; since we are still in the process of getting my first visa. Wife and son have British citizenship, just me on a pleb passport.

As for job that pays 18k a year - in the UK, that is very low and why they want to double it. Too many people abusing it. My wife earns more than that, here in SA - but less than 38K GBP a year.

I think 2024 will be my last year in SA, I am making good progress simplifying my affairs, stashing money in Guernsey at the moment. I think the UK will win as destination, but still weighing up my options for the visa. Any one here get in on another type of visa? I looked at the Global Talent visa and only sort of make the cut according to the endorsement questionnaire on Tech Nation. Any luck with getting an endorsement for the Innovative Founder visa? I am not keen on working for someone if it can be avoided.

Plan B would probably involve Portugal or Malta and Plan C only a skilled visa for the UK.

Yeah lets be honest, if you arrive in the UK and earn less than 18k you are not a very skilled worker. Work full time and earn minimum wage and you will earn more than 18k in a year, which in my opinion are the jobs the school leavers without degrees or trades should be doing.

Just seen a FB post on a Saffa group: someone was asking for a friend, whose visa is expiring, how he would go about applying for asylum.

No wars, genocide (farmers excluded), mass persecution, etc, in SA last time I checked. I knew things were bad, but jeez. One of the replies was actually from someone who had helped Saffas claim asylum!

Last I heard of anything similar was that muppet who tried it in Canada years ago (I worked with him in another life).

Jano I'm calling BS who ever posted that.

Those groups are filled with 99% bored Volvo driving soccer mom's from Bryanston. No way an actual assylum seeker will be on that group and even if they are and if true it would have been in the news, just like the Canadian case.

Jano I'm calling BS who ever posted that.

Those groups are filled with 99% bored Volvo driving soccer mom's from Bryanston. No way an actual assylum seeker will be on that group and even if they are and if true it would have been in the news, just like the Canadian case.

It’s an ex-pat group. And it was a group member asking on behalf of a friend.

Would be epic if I could land a job with them. But not the end of the world if not. Wife will find something for sure I think.

So, Monzo got back to me. They want a chat.

Surprised, as when I applied online they had 200+ applications, according to LinkedIn.

It would be super cool to work for a UK bank such as them, as they are more for the tech side and pushing innovation from what I can see.

Surprised, as when I applied online they had 200+ applications, according to LinkedIn.

It would be super cool to work for a UK bank such as them, as they are more for the tech side and pushing innovation from what I can see.

Good luck.

Bloody hell, nice one. Hope it goes all the way man

I used to watch these programming videos from a guy that worked at Monzo, Jake Wright, don't know if he makes videos anymore but it was always interesting to watch. They look like a great company tbh, good luck!

I used to watch these programming videos from a guy that worked at Monzo, Jake Wright, don't know if he makes videos anymore but it was always interesting to watch. They look like a great company tbh, good luck!
Thanks.
He is a backend engineer, I see. I’m on the iOS side.

Mate of mine in the UK interviewed with them last year, for the same position. Didn’t make it through for various reasons.

Out of interest how long did your SWV take and did you have to pay the costs?

Thanks.
He is a backend engineer, I see. I’m on the iOS side.

Mate of mine in the UK interviewed with them last year, for the same position. Didn’t make it through for various reasons.

The iOS app seems to get precedence at Monzo as well, new features seem to appear in the iOS app before the Android one from what I’ve noticed (though I am only a customer with no inside knowledge).

Out of interest how long did your SWV take and did you have to pay the costs?

Yep I had to pay everything upfront - it was reimbursed when I got here.

This was my timeline after from when I received the CoS:

12 May - CoS received
30 May - Visa application Submitted
2 June - Visa appt. At TLS
27 June - Visa received

*Bear in mind this was also during delayed processing times

The iOS app seems to get precedence at Monzo as well, new features seem to appear in the iOS app before the Android one from what I’ve noticed (though I am only a customer with no inside knowledge).

That’s the case in general for most apps afaik. Easier to write for iOS and specific hardware supported than Android with 74738818191 different devices, each with their own random hardware specs. One of the reasons they have to keep throwing more RAM at the problem while Apple still just blasts along with 6GB.

That’s the case in general for most apps afaik. Easier to write for iOS and specific hardware supported than Android with 74738818191 different devices, each with their own random hardware specs. One of the reasons they have to keep throwing more RAM at the problem while Apple still just blasts along with 6GB.
As someone who has done Android development (Bidorbuy) it’s definitely not as smooth as iOS development because of the fragmentation as you mention. However I wouldn’t say it’s the reason features are delayed. It comes down to money…

It’s often that iOS will have less users for an app but the revenue is higher per user. So iOS teams are bigger generally. In the case of MrD though, when I was working there, Android was always ahead of us because their team was bigger and we had some moron who fixed washing machines back in the day make a mess of the original codebase when he started the project.

Yep I had to pay everything upfront - it was reimbursed when I got here.

This was my timeline after from when I received the CoS:

12 May - CoS received
30 May - Visa application Submitted
2 June - Visa appt. At TLS
27 June - Visa received

*Bear in mind this was also during delayed processing times

Thanks. Did you have to be in the UK within 30 days for the visa?

Thanks. Did you have to be in the UK within 30 days for the visa?

More specifically, you must start work no later than 28 days from the start date on your CoS, or 28 days from the start date on your visa – whichever is later.

As someone who has done Android development (Bidorbuy) it’s definitely not as smooth as iOS development because of the fragmentation as you mention. However I wouldn’t say it’s the reason features are delayed. It comes down to money…

It’s often that iOS will have less users for an app but the revenue is higher per user. So iOS teams are bigger generally. In the case of MrD though, when I was working there, Android was always ahead of us because their team was bigger and we had some moron who fixed washing machines back in the day make a mess of the original codebase when he started the project.

Yeah, apparently iOS development pays quite a chunk more than Android, so usually attracts the best.

Back