Immigrating to the UK

Yeah, apparently iOS development pays quite a chunk more than Android, so usually attracts the best.

Yup it’s been pretty good pay wise. Monzo salary range for this position is £95k to £150k - which I think is good for London salary?

Morning guys

It's less than 3 weeks to go until I make the big move and it is starting to feel very real.

Has anyone done the pricing comparison between Shyft and an FNB Channel Islands account?

I am wondering which is more economical for transferring funds across and to use as a transactional account until I can open a Lloyds account that side.

I only ever used the Shyft with the card really. It has a 1.5% transaction fee when you use it. So you'll pay to convert Rands to Pounds, and then 1.5% on everything you use the card for.

I never used the Shyft account as a transactional account. I mostly use the shyft account to convert rands to pounds.

Oh, only time I couldn't use my Shyft card was putting in petrol at the 'person-less' fuel station. My card would just not accept the pre-auth of 100 pounds.

Reactions: x32
Thanks for the feedback!

Some reasons I have for wanting to move:
- I have quite a few siblings who have moved over
- My kids cousins their age are all in Scotland
- My eldest will be starting school in 2025 and already, looking at schooling here is stressful. Especially with mostly expensive private schools in my area
- I've been to visit a few times and love it
- SO is afraid of starting over but wants to move
- I don't mind starting over
- Both of us are early 30s so the age thing wouldn't be an issue
Ancestral Visa application submitted.
Biometrics appointment for 18 December.
Once approved, I will submit applications for my wife and kids.

I'd go with the fnb CI account to be honest. It's pretty much a fully functional UK local debit card - can pay your salary in and everything.

I'd go with the fnb CI account to be honest. It's pretty much a fully functional UK local debit card - can pay your salary in and everything.
This. Fnbci you can use just like a normal UK account for receiving and making payments. I doubt an employer would pay money into a non-UK account. I use Shyft to draw money from SA only - either transfers or swipes.

Reactions: x32
If you are trying to minimise fees:

Capitec for initially swiping ZAR in UK
As soon as you land & have your BRP get cheapo bank account like Monzo.
The use Shyft app to move ZAR to UK based bank account.

Ridiculously good, yes, so good luck!
It's such a broad range though. £160k is pretty good but you'll need to be amazing to get that salary. Most talented senior developers in London will be doing £120k or so. £160k is principal dev salary at the upper end of what banks would offer.

Quick question:

If I do go over on a SWV - and decide to switch to a Family visa. Does my time in the UK reset for ILR?

Quick question:

If I do go over on a SWV - and decide to switch to a Family visa. Does my time in the UK reset for ILR?
Yes.
Switching immigration categories

Like the above scenario, changing immigration categories can cause the clock to restart. If a Skilled Worker migrant changes employer but remains in the Skilled Worker category, the 5-year qualifying period is maintained. However, if a Skilled Worker migrant changes to a dependent visa, the clock will restart.

Last edited:
Yes.
Switching immigration categories

Like the above scenario, changing immigration categories can cause the clock to restart. If a Skilled Worker migrant changes employer but remains in the Skilled Worker category, the 5-year qualifying period is maintained. However, if a Skilled Worker migrant changes to a dependent visa, the clock will restart.
100% correct.

Considered to take the SO off a skilled workers visa to my ancestral and confirmed via an immigration lawyer that all time spent in the UK will be reset to zero. Furthermore, depending on what visa you switch too you might be required to leave the UK and re-enter.

100% correct.

Considered to take the SO off a skilled workers visa to my ancestral and confirmed via an immigration lawyer that all time spent in the UK will be reset to zero. Furthermore, depending on what visa you switch too you might be required to leave the UK and re-enter.

Silly rule tbh - they should rather say if you spend X days out of the country, then the clock resets.

Back