Impact of resignation on bonus

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
The new opportunity came knocking on my door, I didn't go out looking for it, and by the looks of it things are moving fast on the other side.

It would be a huge loss as I got a 35% bonus increase and met the targets this last year
So make sure when you resign you highlight these terms to your superiors that you weren't running away and had no issue with your current role and someone sought you out.

I left my previous company on similar terms and often get invited to events I used to attend with them because I'm still considered as part of the old crew even though I'm no longer working there.

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
I am going to try and negotiate a later start date with the new company so that my notice can be submitted post bonus pay-out.

I have worked my ass off the last year to get that bonus, not gonna let it slip easily
Then it would probably be better to wait, if possible.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Just take the job. A bonus means f'all in comparison to CTC in the long term.

Mosgi

Ya No, not going to work. I will be ostracized..
So I'd assume you dont have any friends in the department. Read your contract, often they have specific clauses in relation to this as if they go against it they get dragged to CCMA, but as mentioned above, it will still be at the discretion of the company.

Do you not think that the company will be nice to you after you resign? Giving them additional notice might get you in good books and potentially a counter offer unless you wouldn't want that...

wombling

Bonuses are discretionary but if you can prove the company regularly gives bonuses to everyone including the tea lady every year then it follows that this is more standard practice than discretionary. Still don't hold your breath for it. I used this method and got a payout when I left one of SA's largest law firms. It depends how well you present your case for getting the bonus. Mine boiled down to having had a really busy year and working my ass off. Not getting a bonus would have been punitive rather than rewarding hard work. Sour grapes shouldn't stop you going to a better job.

Daruk

Honorary Master
I am going to try and negotiate a later start date with the new company so that my notice can be submitted post bonus pay-out.

I have worked my ass off the last year to get that bonus, not gonna let it slip easily
What does your contract say?

The_MAC

Executive Member
What does your contract say?
"sole discretion of management" - its a bit vague if you ask me.

I don't doubt my boss will not hold it back, but I have heard that our HR suffers from sour-grape syndrome and does not make the exit process smooth. Makes me think them in conjunction with payroll would pull a fast one on me.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master

I don't doubt my boss will not hold it back, but I have heard that our HR suffers from sour-grape syndrome and does not make the exit process smooth. Makes me think them in conjunction with payroll would pull a fast one on me.
Wait for payroll to kick off, hand your laptop in and take a nice holiday at home with your remaining days that you are supposed to work in. F'k 'em.
Don't tell them which company you are going to work for either.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Wait for payroll to kick off, hand your laptop in and take a nice holiday at home with your remaining days that you are supposed to work in. F'k 'em.
Don't tell them which company you are going to work for either.
I might want to come back here in the future, company has been good to me. I just don't want to be in a situation where I forfeit my bonus on a technicality.

Venomous

Honorary Master
I might want to come back here in the future, company has been good to me. I just don't want to be in a situation where I forfeit my bonus on a technicality.
A company I worked at before....
Policy was that if you resigned before the bonus is paid to you, you'll not get it even if you got a letter stating RXXX bonus. (paid 25 june normally)
Further they had a clause that states like - no resignations will be accepted between 20 and 31 may.

And other companies tend to follow a similar pattern even if not exclusively/explicitly written.

So if you really really really need that money and it can make a difference to you then wait until the bonus physically reflects in your account then go and resign.

Other company head hunted you, then ask that they hold on a bit if they really want YOU that badly that they seeked you...

Mosgi

Look it's simple, open cards work best... with both your current and future employer. I have known people who have had their new deal sweetened to account for loss of bonus, and I personally have signed off on a bonus for someone leaving out of cycle due to a great opportunity that came their way & their contribution while they were working for me. Find and target your closest person in upper management and discuss from there.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Illegal for a company to force you to take leave so they don’t need to pay you for it.

Not illegal to take leave of agreed upon with the company.
It's illegal to take leave during your notice period. Unless I'm grossly mistaken?