Import duty on iphone 3GS bought from ebay US

sumeetwork

Hi friends,

I am searching for the import duty prices all over the net but didn't find any... so m writing this post so every one can share their experience.

i am thinking of buying a iphone 3GS 16GB from ebay US now the total amount of the iphone is $685 handset price + $35 shipping charges = $720.
Now i just wanted to know the total amount i have to pay after the product arrive here in South Africa, i mean the custom clearance...

Can any one help me with that want to know the total amount on $720 iphone.

Thanks

ITCynic

Expert Member
Call one of the freight companies that do international shipping. They normally have a dedicated person who calculates these duties.

Also you might need to call Customs because you might need an import permit. Check with them as you are a private person/importer.

On top of that you are gonna pay VAT as well.

Last edited:

sumeetwork

Thanks sooo much... i'll do that.

some of my friends had imported toys from US through ebay and it comes directly to them without any custom duty.

iphone is the most vibrant mobile phone these days and there should be some one who did the deal in real time... please reply guys..

ITCynic

Expert Member
Call one of the freight companies that do international shipping. They normally have a dedicated person who calculates these duties.

Also you might need to call Customs because you might need an import permit. Check with them as you are a private person/importer.

These 2 telephone calls could save you a lot of frustration :)

jasonbot

I've received a number of electronics and I've paid 14% + R25 handling fees.

sumeetwork

Thanks guys...

but didn't get any information from the customs department as they don't predict the duty before the package arrive.. but VAT(14%) is definite.

i'll update this post as soon as i'll get some more information about the same... or import the parcel.