Important how to do this (nuke Vista partion, increase size of Ubuntu partition)

Lino

I am back
Hey there, well I have Vista and Ubuntu both installed on my system in a dual boot setup. Same hard disk two different partitions. I want to do the following.

a) Delete the Vista Partition
b) With the free space increase the size of my Ubuntu partion

How do I do all of this, and if I do this will I damage my grub boot loader?

Kasyx

Expert Member
Your best (easiest) bet is to delete the Vista partition, and then just format it as ext3 (because no one uses Reiser any more now that he's going to jail) and mount it as /data or something and use it for additional storage.

milomak

Honorary Master
I still use Reiser. In fact there are many people who still use Reiser. In fact I believe development of Reiser4 is still on the go. But that's another story.

To answer the op - Fire up GParted. Delete the Vista partition. You should be able to slide the Ubuntu partition larger. Apply changes.

And of course, do backup your data before doing the above. And do read my sig below.

Kasyx

Expert Member
I still use Reiser. In fact there are many people who still use Reiser. In fact I believe development of Reiser4 is still on the go. But that's another story.

Well, I asked my mom about which partition scheme she wanted to use for their home firewall I set up, and she wanted to go with ext3 because of Reiser's murderous ways :D

As for Reiser4; I, like the rest of the world, are holding thumb and clenching sphincter in anxious anticipation of its sheer awesomeness :p

As for the actual thread at hand; go with what milomak said (though forget not to consult the sig), my way is for the lazy man.

milomak

Honorary Master
Well, I asked my mom about which partition scheme she wanted to use for their home firewall I set up, and she wanted to go with ext3 because of Reiser's murderous ways :D

:D

I briefly flirted with ext3 after the the news of the wife's murder. but then promptly suffered the only incident of a linux filesystem failing on me.

Lino

I am back
Yah, finally did it and it worked without any problem, Ubuntu is now my main OS

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
I use reiser on my servers... the dude is up for murder? wtf?

Lino

I am back
Not that anyone cares but I use ext3 file system in linux