Importing a car from USA/UK to South Africa

Siegrain

Hi guys

I was wondering as a permanent South African citizen....

Let's say I want to buy a new luxury car online in the UK/USA for personal use and wanna import it to South Africa. Do you know what I should do in order to do so and what documents I should have/obtain.

The reason why I want to buy a car overseas is because luxury cars are very expensive in South Africa and are way cheaper overseas so that is why I was wondering....

Thanks you.

NiTeD

Expert Member
Don't forget to convert from LHD to RHD, take to SABS for testing, apply for a special permit if it's not new... Better to bring it in through Namibia or Botswana imo

Corelli

Legally they wont allow you to import a LHD model

America really drive on the wrong side of the road and are left hand drive (lhd).

South Africa has banned the import of newer (past 30-40) year generation models of lhd cars from usa or well anywhere. As such you may only import right hand drive models. This however has a 100% duty.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
There is a good reason they are more expensive here...because of all the related costs.

What shouldn't be expensive are the ones that get built here but that's a whole different story.

saturnz

Honorary Master
Hi guys

The reason why I want to buy a car overseas is because luxury cars are very expensive in South Africa and are way cheaper overseas so that is why I was wondering....

Thanks you.
the authorities know this, which is why they have such strict procedures to prevent you from doing this

Reactions: 16V

Drifter

Honorary Master
Dont be fooled by the price you see overseas, importing a luxury car is going to turn out way more expensive. There is 100% duties + 14% VAT + huge shipping costs. Add to that the cost for your clearance certificates this side, you will just lose out doing it yourself. If it was that easy and cheaper, all of us would be importing cars.

Sakkie7766

Hi just want to find out i want to buy an electric motorcycle so wats there to know about import it to south africa and all the costs and documents. Thanks

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Hi guys

I was wondering as a permanent South African citizen....

Let's say I want to buy a new luxury car online in the UK/USA for personal use and wanna import it to South Africa. Do you know what I should do in order to do so and what documents I should have/obtain.

Thanks you.
As a permanent resident you can import a used car, exempt from VAT and duty, not new.

crackersa

Honorary Master
America really drive on the wrong side of the road and are left hand drive (lhd).

South Africa has banned the import of newer (past 30-40) year generation models of lhd cars from usa or well anywhere. As such you may only import right hand drive models. This however has a 100% duty.
by your statement, 2/3 of the planet drives on the wrong side of the road. you may want to rethink your statement since you are the minority.

https://www.aceable.com/blog/countries-that-drive-on-the-left-side-of-the-road/

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
by your statement, 2/3 of the planet drives on the wrong side of the road. you may want to rethink your statement since you are the minority.
On horseback passing another rider, your sword arm (most people are right hand strong) is next to the oncoming rider and you can defend yourself. It was also the way the Romans (who built most of the road in europe) travelled. Soldiers wore their swords on the left, so cross body drawing naturally swung the sword to the right. If you wore the sword on the right you couldn't draw it unless you were left handed.

saturnz

Honorary Master
it is possible to import a car without the huge hassle that's been mentioned before, but you need a good working relationship with the courier company and you will need good strong skills with working on cars since you will be making rather unorthodox decisions.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
And if it's not RHD or a car available in SA you going to not be happy with what insurers tell you when you want to insure it.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Importing cars is not for the people looking to save money, it is for the rich who want a car not already available here and don't really care how much it costs.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
And if the model is not available here, the servicing department is going to have a field day BS'ing about the parts being "different".