Importing apple products using MyUS

Soljaah

Has anyone had experience with importing Apple products using a package forwarding service such as MyUS?

From what I can see, duty on laptops is 0%, and for tablets/phones it's 7%.

Then there is a 9% excise duty slapped on, and VAT of course.

I'm interested to know whether this route is worth it or whether the end cost will be about the same as buying locally.

Kola_CT

Expert Member
I used Aramex Global Shopper earlier the year to bring in a Macbook and iPad.

Only paid shipping and VAT, no duties.

It was a bit cheaper than it would have been locally but not much.

Only reason I did that was because I had a virtual CC with USD on, and the Macbook config I wanted was not available locally at the time.

This was during lockdown when RoE was at its worst, if I had to buy in ZAR it would not have been worth it at all.

Soljaah

Interesting that there was no duties. But yeah if it's going to be a minimal saving then probably not worth the hassle.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Has anyone had experience with importing Apple products using a package forwarding service such as MyUS?

From what I can see, duty on laptops is 0%, and for tablets/phones it's 7%.

Then there is a 9% excise duty slapped on, and VAT of course.

I'm interested to know whether this route is worth it or whether the end cost will be about the same as buying locally.
Mobiles phones and tablets should have different codes. For South Africa 0% duty and no excise on an iPad. You'll just pay VAT. You can get it shipped to South Africa for $40 or so.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Whether it is cheaper depends on when you buy and the model. Some models have more inflated prices than others in South Africa.

Soljaah

Mobiles phones and tablets should have different codes. For South Africa 0% duty and no excise on an iPad. You'll just pay VAT. You can get it shipped to South Africa for $40 or so.
And what about laptops?

noxibox

Honorary Master
In South Africa for mobile phones I'd use 8517.12.10 - no duty, 9% ad valorem, 15% VAT

For tablets 8471.41.90 looks appropriate - no duty, no ad valorem, 15% VAT

For a laptop 8471.30.90 - also just 15% VAT

Those do depend on the size of the device. It says if any side exceeds 45cm then they're subject to 9% ad valorem. You might get someone who tries to use the size of the laptop when it is open, i.e. doubling the width.

Others might disagree about the correct code. It isn't always clear which should apply. Also check with whoever is shipping to you whether they fill in a code.

neoprema

Executive Member
i buy all my apple products from BH PHoto in New York and ship them over. Primarily to just not support the thieves that are Core Group in ZA. But lately i see their prices are getting closer and closer to what one pays for the US product + shipping + VAT. For now though i'm still sticking to buying outside of the country on principle.

The only problem is the warranty, since i think in their usual crooked business dealings, Core found a way to not repair Apple products with the international warranty that are being used in ZA permanently. Or so I heard...

JohnJuniorV3

Expert Member
i buy all my apple products from BH PHoto in New York and ship them over. Primarily to just not support the thieves that are Core Group in ZA. But lately i see their prices are getting closer and closer to what one pays for the US product + shipping + VAT. For now though i'm still sticking to buying outside of the country on principle.

The only problem is the warranty, since i think in their usual crooked business dealings, Core found a way to not repair Apple products with the international warranty that are being used in ZA permanently. Or so I heard...
You can either get your stuff repaired at the store here in SA which is mainly managed by CORE, but apparently the repair centre is managed by Apple, so they definitely uphold all international warranties, even if you buy Apple Care they will honour the extended warranty, just not accidental damage.

neoprema

Executive Member
You can either get your stuff repaired at the store here in SA which is mainly managed by CORE, but apparently the repair centre is managed by Apple, so they definitely uphold all international warranties, even if you buy Apple Care they will honour the extended warranty, just not accidental damage.
oh really? wow thats interesting.

shadow_man

Executive Member

How? I just checked their site and all the MBP models i'm looking at say "No shipping to SOUTH AFRICA"...

neoprema

Executive Member
How? I just checked their site and all the MBP models i'm looking at say "No shipping to SOUTH AFRICA"...
Shipito or MyUS - I use Shipito 99% of the time. All my Apple products fro the last 6 years been coming through them.

Soljaah

Anyone had any issues ordering directly from the Apple store and using a package forwarding service? I hear they sometimes cancel orders to package forwarders.

piet70

I looked into this last year and decided it's not worth it, too many fees & risk for such a high ticket item.
  • MyUs Fees
  • Couldn't by directly from Apple (international billing address), so would have to use their Personal Shopper service (extra $$$)
  • Shipping fee via courier (FedEx/UPS) + Insurance $$$
  • Collection Fee / VAT / whatever SA customs decides $$$
You could try and get a blackfriday deal at somewhere like Best Buy, but you are correct there is a risk of the package forward address being blacklisted (happen to me on other smaller items). And you only find out after the fact when the transaction is reversed.

I ended up getting a deal at macshack.co.za. They import their Apple Laptops from the US, so you get the US keyboard layout and not the European one (which is why I initially looked at importing).

I found that comparing apple.com prices with ZAR/USD + VAT + Shipping + Insurance macshack was reasonable (at the time).