Importing Console Games (beat the price increase)

benitok

Damnit, F&*% SAPO.:mad::mad::mad:

The below was taken from a local ps3 forum site.

Maybe it was the local suppliers putting pressure on them not to supply us anymore. Don't fear we will find another site that is cheaper.

jarrodr

Expert Member
:(I cry because they gave me a 3 pound discount on Killzone 2 and the rand is doing OK-ISH. So I would've got it with shipping for R452+R9 (for currency exchange)

Solidus

Expert Member
This is just unfair, I'm still waiting for my resident evil 5. Thinking of writing it off if refunding is gonna be a problem now. Gotta love SA

jarrodr

Expert Member
This is just unfair, I'm still waiting for my resident evil 5. Thinking of writing it off if refunding is gonna be a problem now. Gotta love SA

Damnit, I would've got you RE5 this past-weekend at BT Games Centurion and posted to you,

Sorry man

Solidus

Expert Member
Damnit, I would've got you RE5 this past-weekend at BT Games Centurion and posted to you,

Sorry man

LOL now you tell me!
Its all good man, maybe its still coming maybe not.
If they refuse to help me I'm not still gonna fight. Its been 15days already and I contacted them yesterday just to find out. Still no response and package still not in the country

0rk0

From what I've heard you can still order from Shopto, but only if you had an account with them and didn't claim a lot of packets lost.

Unfortunately for new customers it will not be possible to buy from them since they will not allow you to register.

PDonut

was wondering, has anyone tried importing Guitar Hero: World Tour? Its seems like a pretty big box...

PDonut

well i was registered with shopto and managed to order 1 game but now i get this message if i try to add something to my basket: "Delivery option / Country code not available."
owell, guess i was taken off.

0rk0

From what I've heard you have to order every 2 months to keep the account active.

Not sure how true this is.

I keep loging in to their site to make sure they see activity, don't know if that helps.

I just ordered Dead Space and they shipped it , no problem.

I don't mind buying every second month or even every month from them.
At the prices they have compared to ours its a bargain.
You basically get 2 games there compared to the price of a South African purchase.

Solidus

Expert Member
From what I've heard you have to order every 2 months to keep the account active.

Not sure how true this is.

I keep loging in to their site to make sure they see activity, don't know if that helps.

I just ordered Dead Space and they shipped it , no problem.

I don't mind buying every second month or even every month from them.
At the prices they have compared to ours its a bargain.
You basically get 2 games there compared to the price of a South African purchase.

Dead Space, Niiiicccccccccceeeeeeeeeeee!
I think I have to finish it before you come and beat me to Platinum you trophy whore, lol! :D

I just claimed a refund, its been a month now and my package still hasn't arrived in the country even. They haven't even replied to my emails :mad:
I'm not gonna import for a while now, already have too much games then I can even play :eek:

0rk0

Dead Space, Niiiicccccccccceeeeeeeeeeee!
I think I have to finish it before you come and beat me to Platinum you trophy whore, lol! :D

I just claimed a refund, its been a month now and my package still hasn't arrived in the country even. They haven't even replied to my emails :mad:
I'm not gonna import for a while now, already have too much games then I can even play :eek:

Hahaha...don't worry too much.
Borrowed MK vs DC from friend and try to get as many as possible, but won't spend days with it. (Should be done with what I want tomorrow)
Then it's on to the last 4 levels of RA3.
In between it's Little big planet with the wife.

So you only need to start worrying about next week Friday...:D

Sorry to hear about your "wonderful" experience with Shopto...

Solidus

Expert Member
Hahaha...don't worry too much.
Borrowed MK vs DC from friend and try to get as many as possible, but won't spend days with it. (Should be done with what I want tomorrow)
Then it's on to the last 4 levels of RA3.
In between it's Little big planet with the wife.

So you only need to start worrying about next week Friday...:D

Sorry to hear about your "wonderful" experience with Shopto...

LMAO the thing is I can't balance time between games.
If its not Fallout 3 its Bioshock if not that then Resistance 2 or Wipeout.
I just can't commit to getting platinum cause I have too many games lol!
But perhaps I will aim for that Dead Space Platinum this weekend, halfway there only :eek:
Yah Shopto really shafted me but I'll find another alternative, perhaps you and I can work out something if you receive your packages ;)

0rk0

Since we're all blocked from Shopto found a great alternative:

http://www.gamesbasement.co.uk

Great prices and great service, site just launched yesterday so they still busy sorting out some issues.

Not really an option for South Africans.

This is from their terms and conditions:
"To be eligible to purchase Products on this Website you must:

Register by providing your real name, phone number, e-mail address, payment details and other requested information
Provide a delivery address in the United Kingdom. Please note that PO box numbers, hotels and accommodation addresses are not acceptable
Be over 18 years of age
Possess a valid credit or debit card issued by a bank acceptable to us"

Sorry to burst your bubble :eek:

Last edited:

Solidus

Expert Member
Not really an option for South Africans.

This is from their terms and conditions:
"To be eligible to purchase Products on this Website you must:

Register by providing your real name, phone number, e-mail address, payment details and other requested information
Provide a delivery address in the United Kingdom. Please note that PO box numbers, hotels and accommodation addresses are not acceptable
Be over 18 years of age
Possess a valid credit or debit card issued by a bank acceptable to us"

Sorry to burst your bubble :eek:

LOL nah dude those T&C's are wrong, we are in contact with the owners on the ps3za forum and I follow them on twitter. They shipping to SA just the site is having problems with taking credit cards at the moment, should be resolved by 2pm our time. Check the Marketplace section on ps3za the thread became quite huge :D
Oh and I just got Steet Fighter IV for Free but the trophies are looking to be murderously hard lol!

Last edited:

W0lver1n3

Try trustworthy sellers on ebay or playasia

Hi,

i have enjoyed buying through ebay, check with sellers if they sell and ship to south africa. also check their reputations and made contact through ebay messages etc. I also shopped regularly with PlayAsia as they often have region free games. Recently bought tomb raider underworld for under R200 including shipping which took less than 2 weeks to arrive from date of shipping from Hong Kong.

Just ordered singstar abba for my wife via ebay at R240 less than local price and hope to get it soon.

I do buy local quite often, but it makes sense to find reputable sellers overseas to help stretch the budget.

Happi Gamin :)

smb3

how about www.thehut.co.uk I think they got some decent prices. i haven't been on there for long though. I personally havent bought anything there but i know some guys that imported some games with them successfully. I think there delivery cost like 4 pounds if im not mistaken

:)

Cltgra005

I'm busy checking out this online store: http://www.zavvi.com/home.dept.

They got some nice deals. Apparently they're a Division of The Hut Group (same as the website thehut.com). Funny thing is, their prices are lower than that of The Huts. Why do you think that is?

I'm busy gathering information on the SA customs and SAPO, and I'm happy I did coz there seems to be a loads of facts and tricks which could really help me stay out of trouble when I buy online.

Cltgra005

Yeah zavvi.com is very tempting. I'm busy talking to someone from SARS about the customs fees for games. It's pointless buying a PS3 game from zavvi.com where it's R200 cheaper, only to spend R210 on customs fees. And that's not the only issue to take into account - There's also the possibility that your parcel will go missing in the post.