Importing Electric Motorcycle From China Into South Africa

GriffinMaree

Hello, I hope this isn't too off topic but I'm trying to import an electric motorcycle from Alibaba. I'm a bit new to importing from overseas but i'm not new enough to know what's a scam and what isn't. The bike i want is legit but i'm not sure what the currant laws and VAT charges are on electric motorcycles/bikes. My main questions are:

- Is there any restrictions I should know about before purchasing and importing an electric motorcycle (3000w motor) into South Africa?
- What are the VAT charges on Electric motorcycles I'm most likely to be charged with? (I assume 15%?)
- What are the likely shipping costs on something that large?

I have done as much research as I can but I cannot get solid answers on any of these questions. If you have any experience with these fields please help. I'm trying to get affordable transport and buying a electric motorcycle directly from a Chinese factory seems like the best choice. (Barely any cost for fuel or repair on electric cars or bikes, the bike I'm looking at is R10k before tax and shipping costs)

zx14

Contact Scottus Maximus on the forum, that is his business.

GriffinMaree

Chpeda

Hello, I hope this isn't too off topic but I'm trying to import an electric motorcycle from Alibaba. I'm a bit new to importing from overseas but i'm not new enough to know what's a scam and what isn't. The bike i want is legit but i'm not sure what the currant laws and VAT charges are on electric motorcycles/bikes. My main questions are:

- Is there any restrictions I should know about before purchasing and importing an electric motorcycle (3000w motor) into South Africa?
- What are the VAT charges on Electric motorcycles I'm most likely to be charged with? (I assume 15%?)
- What are the likely shipping costs on something that large?

I have done as much research as I can but I cannot get solid answers on any of these questions. If you have any experience with these fields please help. I'm trying to get affordable transport and buying a electric motorcycle directly from a Chinese factory seems like the best choice. (Barely any cost for fuel or repair on electric cars or bikes, the bike I'm looking at is R10k before tax and shipping costs)
Did you manage to get the details am also trying to import from UK please share how you did it etc....

ponder

Honorary Master
Lol that's like a mini bike with 12" tyres, wonder if people are aware of that.

Séan Warnick

Customs aren't that stupid unfortunately. Parts are fine but the chassis/frame, engine block and hub/axle will require clearances and registration.
Thanks Scott you've been really helpful.
It's a real shame it's so difficult. Vehicle in south africa are rediculously overpriced.

alqassam

Expert Member
Bring it into swaziland Lesotho namibia bots etc then put in bakkie and take ober the border

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Thanks Scott you've been really helpful.
It's a real shame it's so difficult. Vehicle in south africa are rediculously overpriced.
They're expensive because there is something like a 50% or 100% import duty. The same will go for anything you import so there's really no point in trying unfortunately.

Séan Warnick

They're expensive because there is something like a 50% or 100% import duty. The same will go for anything you import so there's really no point in trying unfortunately.
It's 36%. Certain things are still worth it provided it starts off at a good price.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
It's 36%. Certain things are still worth it provided it starts off at a good price.
Cool, just remember it being ridiculous but yeah I think companies producing their own stuff in bulk and therefore selling off large quantities in the market can work with the cost but for single items you are correct in that you really need to find a great bargain and then be willing too go through all the paperwork.