Importing Electronics into South Africa

Nekk

Hi All,

So they had the invoice already from the supplier and I had to pay R250+- for import duties and tax. Not to bad. They cleared it about an hour ago

Thanks for all the replies
Hi Gc, thanks for reviving an old thread, lol. I'm curious to know, what was/were the additional documentation(s) you then had to provide if they already had the invoice from the supplier.? Was the invoice available to them same as the one sent to you.? And how did they arrive at an amount of R250? (Was it a % of the range of the value of the item)?

I'm looking to order a small gadget from Aliexpress.

Nekk

Hi Gc, thanks for reviving an old thread, lol. I'm curious to know, what was/were the additional documentation(s) you then had to provide if they already had the invoice from the supplier.? Was the invoice available to them same as the one sent to you.? And how did they arrive at an amount of R250? (Was it a % of the range of the value of the item)?

I'm looking to order a small gadget from Aliexpress.

erwink

Ordered the OnePlus 6 a couple of weeks ago from gearbest, the good news it's in SA and the bad news Aramex wants me to R 2 253.68 for customs and duties. I feel this is rather excessive as people who have ordered the exact device from the same company paid R 350.00. Any way to sort this issue out?

Davitpzim

I would like to ship this cheap phones of about 60 dollars in gearbest what will happen will tax take only 24% of 60???
Is that sure?

malamm

Hi there, can I ask you a few questions, since I'm considering purchasing one phone from Axiom Telecom in Dubai who uses either Aramex or DHL to import the phone into South Africa. They have listed a Shipping Cost, however I'm not too sure whether that costs includes VAT and Import/Customs Duties. Do you think these have been included in the shippin cost, or are they excluding along with any other fees to be levied??

Visser

Expert Member
Hi there, can I ask you a few questions, since I'm considering purchasing one phone from Axiom Telecom in Dubai who uses either Aramex or DHL to import the phone into South Africa. They have listed a Shipping Cost, however I'm not too sure whether that costs includes VAT and Import/Customs Duties. Do you think these have been included in the shippin cost, or are they excluding along with any other fees to be levied??
No, the shipping fee is only the fee you pay for them to ship your item.

When it comes to South Africa, and it is a cellphone, SARS has a formula:

1. Take the price of the phone and add a 15% luxury item markup. (If your phone is R10k, then the value will be calculated as R11,500)

2. On that amount they then add a 7% duty fee. (Which will be R805)

3. Then they add 15% VAT (Which will be R1725)

So, your import taxes will be another R2530 which you have to pay over and above the shipping fee.

But then, the courier company will add another R400-R800 clearance fee to that taxes. So, you could expect another R3k-R4k bill before it is delivered.

So, your total import bill will consist of:

1. The courier shipping fee
2. The duties and taxes
3. The courier clearance fees

In certain instances, depending on the phone you buy and its value, it may cost you the same or even be cheaper, just to buy an airline ticket, fly to Dubai and go buy one there.

malamm

No, the shipping fee is only the fee you pay for them to ship your item.

When it comes to South Africa, and it is a cellphone, SARS has a formula:

1. Take the price of the phone and add a 15% luxury item markup. (If your phone is R10k, then the value will be calculated as R11,500)

2. On that amount they then add a 7% duty fee. (Which will be R805)

3. Then they add 15% VAT (Which will be R1725)

So, your import taxes will be another R2530 which you have to pay over and above the shipping fee.

But then, the courier company will add another R400-R800 clearance fee to that taxes. So, you could expect another R3k-R4k bill before it is delivered.

So, your total import bill will consist of:

1. The courier shipping fee
2. The duties and taxes
3. The courier clearance fees

In certain instances, depending on the phone you buy and its value, it may cost you the same or even be cheaper, just to buy an airline ticket, fly to Dubai and go buy one there.

Woah, there was a lot I wasn't clear on, and I'm so grateful for your thorough clarification. Thank You so much for your response hey, I really needed this information.

Swa

Honorary Master
My Aramex order included customs and clearance fees even after being cheaper. Got stopped at customs and since it was a low value didn't pay any duties or vat. A phone may attract a 9% duty and 16.5% vat.

Visser

Expert Member
My Aramex order included customs and clearance fees even after being cheaper. Got stopped at customs and since it was a low value didn't pay any duties or vat. A phone may attract a 9% duty and 16.5% vat.
Yes, where the value of your item is below R500 you will not pay any customs or taxes. These type of parcels of mine generally flies through the clearance process.