The_Ogre

Honorary Master
An alternative to ebay is Aliexpress, for Chinese goods. They take CC payments, but it's held in escrow until you confirm receipt. They have a dispute resolution mechanism, and a rating/review process, and an array of shipping options.

I've used it for ~ 2 years now. Just check the descriptions - they can be a bit vague at times. If you're unsure, rather look for a seller with a excellent rating.
Ian
I've ordered more than 50k's worth of stuff from them for the last year and never had a single, not one, issue.

Btw Aliexpress = Alibaba. Only found that out recently

igeorge

Btw Aliexpress = Alibaba. Only found that out recently

Alibaba is the vehicle for connecting manufacturers to distributors, with large MOQ's. Aliexpress is retailers to customers, with no MOQ's. Many factories also have an "Aliexpress store" as well.

Last edited:

oscarlets

I am sorry for disappearing,by electronics I mean chargers and low end tablets. I hear they are tax free,etc and again thank you for sharing the info and suggestion,

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
I am sorry for disappearing,by electronics I mean chargers and low end tablets. I hear they are tax free,etc and again thank you for sharing the info and suggestion,

Check with SARS.GOV.ZA or call their call centre. They may be duty free, but you will pay VAT on 110% of the value of the goods.

Falco

Banned
R1000 + VAT of 14% of R1100 + shipping + R35 + duty (no duty for computer parts e.g. hard drives).

Not sure how much duty for consumer electronics is, someone else will have to chime in. Could be as high as 25%.
A few questions sir..
When you say 25%, you mean 25% of which value?
Is there a list of duty percentages for certain items?
How do you pay the supplier on the other end of the world? First pay and hope you receive the goods?

Someone told me that he submits a letter of credit from his bank to the supplier. As soon as he receives the goods, the money is released from the bank to the supplier