Importing PC hardware from Amazon vs buying local - pricing and warranties

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Importing PC hardware from Amazon vs buying local - pricing and warranties

The rand’s excellent performance against the US dollar over the last few weeks is good news for PC gamers who are looking to save money on upgrades to their gaming rigs.

Even with healthy competition between South African stores which sell PC hardware, building a powerful desktop is not a cheap exercise.

You would be hard pressed to configure a capable rig for anything less than R15,000, and would more likely have to spend in excess of R25,000 to enjoy constant frame rates of over 60fps in the latest graphically-demanding titles.

Bobbin

Executive Member
I seem to recall VR (i.e. Oculus Quest 2) is another big cost saving via Amazon. It made no sense to purchase locally, even if you could find it.

Something like $299 (ex shipping/taxes) for the basic headset via Amazon but around 12k locally at the time I checked. Even including shipping+taxes I don't think it was close to 12k.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Is there really a warranty hit with Amazon? I think you're just without the item for a longer time.

Personally, I blame the "channel" for this. Everyone adding in a 5% here or an 8% or even a 15% - when amazon keeps everything in stock and makes it available, without 10 middlemen. That are so protected that you can't buy if you're not one of the "chosen" ones..

mikef

Expert Member
An additional factor to consider when buying electrical items is that in many products sold in the USA are 120 volt - requiring an additional voltage stepdown converter

Swa

Honorary Master
Yeah I don't see what's so attractive about importing. If you stick to one or the other you generally pay the same so might as well take the local support.

EpicPotato

It's a tough one. If it breaks then I'll have to figure it out.
Yeah, that's a scary one for me.

My R10k laptop broke last year, a month or so after it's warranty ended(the dog bit the charging cable). I was quoted R18k for a new board, so I told them where to shove it.
Mind you, the laptop still worked, up until the point where the battery ran out, so I couldn't charge it.

Sold the dead thing for R600 and the HDD for another R500.

So you understand my concern on these matters.

afrodeity

I bought an MSI z370 gaming plus Mobo less than a year ago, needless to say it blew up when I replaced the PSU with a brand new EVGA 650W. The company will only fulfil the warranty if I post it back from a USA address. Amazon were completely unhelpful and claim they only responsible for returns within 30 days. Am going to try for a credit, but think both companies should be more proactive on returns.

Last edited: