Imports: Scott's Shipping Services

Last edited:

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Scott, do you happen to already have a source for used Nikon lenses? The retail prices in SA are extortionate so that inflates the used prices, while overseas they're a lot better (purely judging by Amazon).

I was wondering if it'd help to reduce shipping costs on a per lens basis if you grouped a few orders together.

Scott, do you happen to already have a source for used Nikon lenses? The retail prices in SA are extortionate so that inflates the used prices, while overseas they're a lot better (purely judging by Amazon).

I was wondering if it'd help to reduce shipping costs on a per lens basis if you grouped a few orders together.
I don't have a source but pop me a link and I can quote easy peasy.

Group orders and combined shipping don't really make things much more economical as the shipping is billed on weight. The times when it does help is if the retailer has high local shipping costs or free shipping over $X.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
I don't have a source but pop me a link and I can quote easy peasy.

Group orders and combined shipping don't really make things much more economical as the shipping is billed on weight. The times when it does help is if the retailer has high local shipping costs or free shipping over $X.
Will do. The thing I'm wondering is how do you do collection? If I buy a lens from a private seller in the UK, would you include collection in your shipping rates, or would that person need to send the lens to an address in the UK?

Will do. The thing I'm wondering is how do you do collection? If I buy a lens from a private seller in the UK, would you include collection in your shipping rates, or would that person need to send the lens to an address in the UK?
I can't do collection, seller will have to post.

However I don't do 3rd party shipping ie: where a customer buys, I have to handle everything from purchase to delivery. Private sellers also present an issue unless they can generate an acceptable invoice for the purchase.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
I can't do collection, seller will have to post.

However I don't do 3rd party shipping ie: where a customer buys, I have to handle everything from purchase to delivery. Private sellers also present an issue unless they can generate an acceptable invoice for the purchase.
Aah right, so you're more like a boutique import service where somebody tells you what they want that's overseas and you then quote on the total purchase and delivery direct to them? The invoice thing is a bit of a shame because as soon as you buy something from a store you're going to be paying a little extra (or a lot extra) for their profit margins.

MickZA

Executive Member
Aah right, so you're more like a boutique import service where somebody tells you what they want that's overseas and you then quote on the total purchase and delivery direct to them? The invoice thing is a bit of a shame because as soon as you buy something from a store you're going to be paying a little extra (or a lot extra) for their profit margins.
Ah, but for lazy buggers like me it's a great service. I never considered overseas purchases before, too much schlepping involved. :)

Haha "boutique", but in essence yes that's correct. The invoicing is for customs, sadly not really any way round this.

Ah, but for lazy buggers like me it's a great service. I never considered overseas purchases before, too much schlepping involved. :)
The perfect customer! ;)

Congrats Scott! I'm thinking what you need now is an online ordering form, it'll reduce your admin workload dramatically.
Thanks! I'd certainly love that but it's unfortunately a fairly manual process, far too many variables to account for. Over the next few months I'll begin developing a webpage in which I'll probably incorporate a "Quick Quote" page, final numbers will still have to go through me though.