In case you're thinking of C-Fiber

Aleksas

Dear potential C-Fiber subscriber,

I want you to share my experience with you before you go down this road since, if you're looking for hints and tips on here regarding how an ISP performs, you're likely to care quite a bit about your connectivity.

The process of working with C-Fiber is incredibly painful. Whilst they may be competitively priced in the market, especially on Openserve (the network provider in my area), you always get what you pay for. I cannot speak to their connectivity - since I am still not connected - but in terms of customer service, I've definitely bought the lowest-end product that would be out there.

The story begins placing my order about five weeks ago. C Fiber delayed in passing the order on to Openserve by two weeks despite their assurances on the phone that I would get a confirmation of the order within 24 hours. They also neglected to email me anything, even a confirmation number, after charging my card, making following up particularly painful.

After this delay, I followed up regularly. It seemed that I would have to take the management of the installation of the line into my own hands and follow up frequently. I kept doing so and went through at least three people who were "senior enough to resolve the query". None of them called me back. At that point, we were four weeks in since I placed my original order.

To seek some type of satisfaction, I turned to Hello Peter. I quickly received a call from the Cell Cs complaints department - only to discover that they couldn't help since C-Fiber is a department completely on their own - they operate like the wild west within Cell C. They could only direct the complaint back to the people who couldn't solve it in the first place.

At this point, I wanted to move to another ISP. Every single ISP warned me that if I move, Cell C will drag their feet regarding the cancellation with Openserve and that it would cause even more delays because it could cause a gunk up in the system and I would have to wait for C-Fiber to ratify the cancellation and then go back to the beginning of the Queue. Much to my dismay, I was now literally trapped with C-Fiber until my line was at least installed -- whilst being unable to get any progress out of them.

To add insult to injury, I asked one of the other ISPs (ISPAfrika) to follow up regarding the order and see if they can take it over or expedite. They inform me that it is ready for installation and Openserve needs to be asked to do so by C Fiber!

After turning into the nightmare customer (a role I genuinely dislike) I finally got a hold of someone that could try to solve this. He (name kept out for privacy sake) oversees their installations. He escalated the matter, according to him, and I would receive a call within 24-48 hours. Two weeks later, I received a call. I immediately inform Cell C and they assure me that the second that Openserve has the line installed, it will be up and running. "It's just plug and play".

It was Openserve that wanted to come and install. True to their word, they rocked up on the day and installed the line and had it ready to go. The technician ensured that it was ready, gave me all the details I need to activate it. I call the "supervisor" at Cell C to arrange for activation and get the runaround again -- "I can't do anything for you until Openserve emails me. That can take a few days".

Here I now sit, with a shiny beautiful Openserve fiber connection in my home and unable to connect. I cannot reiterate enough how much it rings true that "You get what you pay for" in life, and specifically with ISPs. Also note that, according to many others that use their service, they have no local break out besides Gauteng. As such, you won't be getting competitive gaming pings to Europe.

To recap how it all went (approximate dates, I can't recall it all - although my call logs and emails do...):

Day 1: Place order with Cell C
Day 12: No feedback on the order from Cell C, so I call them repeatedly.
Day 14: Cell C places the order with Openserve (which then may have up to 6 weeks lead time).
Day 21: With no update on the order besides an order number -- and no ETA, and nobody willing to help, I take to hello peter
Day 22: I get a call from Cell C complaints apologizing profusely. They will direct the query to C-Fiber as they cannot deal with it.
Day 24: I call escalations with Cell C. They repeat what the complaints department already told me - C-Fiber works independently and they don't slot into the rest of cell C.
Day 25: I call WebAfrika - They are extremely helpful and within one day let me know, via their accounts manager with Openserve, that the installation is ready. I need to pressure my ISP - but my ISP is nowhere to be seen.
Day 25: I get a call from someone senior at C-Fiber. Openserve will call me within 24-48 hours.
Day 27-34: Call the person every single day to indicate Openserve has not called. Ignored about half the days, and promised it would be solved the other half.
Day 36: Openserve rocks up to install the line and activates everything. Cell C double-backs on their claim that everything would be running them and requests "another 48 hours". (I anticipate another two weeks of endless calls...).

The bottom line here is not that it took long - but that dealing with C-Fiber was the most painful customer service experience of my life. They are also accountable to nobody. This has been worse than even Telkom (and I've had a number of house installs with them in the past).

You may want to go with them because their Openserve packages are cheaper than the rest, especially at 100 megs - but just be aware that you will get what you pay for.

Good luck to the rest of you with your processes of installation, whoever you opt for!

As for me -- I'm going out to get wasted and then buy more mobile data, since my beautifully installed Fiber line is worth just about nothing at the moment.

With kindest regards,

Depressed internetless sod.

borjah

Took three weeks for me to switch to them from WebAfrica (fortunately I already had a line installed, but oddly enough had to convince them of that!). Once live however the service has been fairly smooth, I also couldn't resist the 100mb Openserve uncapped pricing.....

Aleksas

I think the results should just speak for themselves below.

Note: The distance is because Cell C only has a JHB break out - so thinks I am in JHB, even though I live in CT. For reference, I used a test account with Axxess, and I bought a 100meg uncapped line (unshaped, unthrottled, unlimited as per their own T&Cs).

Results.jpg

Mind, I literally just got the username and password. So they'd be "applying whatever policy they have" right from the 1st meg and bringing me to these painfully slow speeds.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
You’re lucky compared to me actually...

7 months and 0 installation with no ETA.

TPants

I can't speak about openserve, I have been on C-Fibre vumatel trenched 50/5 for about 5 months without any issues, international downloads are always maxed out and have been very happy so far.

Spasie

I have tried to cancel my Cell C fibre connection since beginning of June. I wrote to both Cell C and Vumatel to cancel my Cell C connection and move to a different ISP and only Vumatel acknowledged my email. Since then I have written to Cell C, emailed them, phoned them and spoken to the accounts department numerous times as the have sent me monthly accounts, but they just keep sending me accounts without acknowledging the fact that I am not connected anymore. Vumatel acknowledged my June email to change to another ISP and my line was switched on 1 July.
Cell C is worse than Telkom when it comes to cancelling an account - a disaster. It seems that they are so short of money that they cling to anything that still has some potential for earnings - this after threataning to cut the connection 2 months ago!. They have now handed me over to a debt collector claiming that I owe them four months rent for a non-existing fibre line.

My honest opinion is that Cell C has the worst consumer support function I have ever come across and I would discourage anyone to join them. They are USELESS.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I didn't see this thread when it was made, but if you have the entire install/set-up done and are just waiting for details, OpenServe fiber is the same as ADSL.
Just plug in your router and you can dial the PPPoE connection. If CellC doesn't give you the details, you can save a bit and get e.g. a Vox or Afrihost data account for a month and use those details.
OpenServe is the only ISP where you can use any ISP on the line no matter what your current ISP is.

FlashPaperGrind

I thought I'd necro this thread since it's 2019.

I have signed up with C-Fibre (100/100) and am pretty satisfied with my line speed. That said, the actual service received from C-Fibre is shocking. They claim to be unlimited to the point of not throttling or shaping but there seems to be some shaping during certain times and the obvious throttling of certain protocols regardless of how you use your line.

I think they are wayyyyy out of their depth as a fibre ISP and once my contract is up (or I can afford to pay the installation costs for cancelling early) I will be moving to a different ISP.

Oh, and on top of the above mentioned issues, they bundle the Black TV service and activate it before you even receive your Black Box which means that by the time you get it and want to watch content, you can't, your trial is up.

0/10 will NEVER recommend to a family or friend, or even an enemy.

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep

I have signed up with C-Fibre (100/100) and am pretty satisfied with my line speed. That said, the actual service received from C-Fibre is shocking. They claim to be unlimited to the point of not throttling or shaping but there seems to be some shaping during certain times and the obvious throttling of certain protocols regardless of how you use your line.

I think they are wayyyyy out of their depth as a fibre ISP and once my contract is up (or I can afford to pay the installation costs for cancelling early) I will be moving to a different ISP.

Oh, and on top of the above mentioned issues, they bundle the Black TV service and activate it before you even receive your Black Box which means that by the time you get it and want to watch content, you can't, your trial is up.

Hi FlashPaperGrind

Please PM us with the following information:

1. Contact Number
2. Address
3. Fibre Line
4. ID Number (This is if you are not familiar with the number associated to your fibre line).

Alternatively, drop us an email on sm@cellc.co.za. We'd like to address your concerns.

^NS

jacova

To further prove that I am now being throttled across the HTTP protocol (the host average is what I have been getting up until yesterday):

View attachment 630116

So tired of this BS. Your lies have lost you a customer Cell C.
Sitting with the same issue. When I signed up for the 50/50 I was prommised the best service and no shapeing etc etc.

Below the true speed: I only get 11.68/Mb insteed of around 50Mbps. I have tested this at my workplace who is running a 50/50 from Metrofiber and I get average of 47Mbps. That is to say I have run the test while 10 people where connected to it.

==================================================
URL : http://ipv4.download.thinkbroadband.com/100MB.zip
Name :
Speed (Bytes) : 1426.0 KB/Sec
Speed (Bits) : 11.68 Mbps
Downloaded : 102400.0 KB
Start Time : 2019/03/14 04:30:12 PM
Download Duration : 00:01:12
Download Order : 1
==================================================

jacova

Maybe you need to consider doing a true speed test.

Applemachanic

Hi FlashPaperGrind

Please PM us with the following information:

1. Contact Number
2. Address
3. Fibre Line
4. ID Number (This is if you are not familiar with the number associated to your fibre line).

Alternatively, drop us an email on sm@cellc.co.za. We'd like to address your concerns.

^NS
What’s the point you guys are so useless you never resolve ****. It’s shocking that you’re in business. Your call center agents are the Best there is when it comes to bullish!t too. I’ve logged several calls and have several reference numbers later and nothing is resolved. Too think I went from a connector 1 sim only to the fiber connector 50 package would be an easy upgrade unfortunately it’s been a miserable experience. A person would think that anyone upgrading from about R500 per month to R1600 a month would get speedy support. Unfortunately cell c biggest fault is the dumb asses they have on the phones in the call center. After shouting and demanding to speak to a manager you eventually get through to someone claiming to be a manager who doesn’t know what’s going on... Fed up with you useless lot. Will have to plaster my experience on YouTube, Facebook, hello peter and the ombudsman... Advice to you cell c: Train your staff on the products you sell

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Dear potential C-Fiber subscriber,

I want you to share my experience with you before you go down this road since, if you're looking for hints and tips on here regarding how an ISP performs, you're likely to care quite a bit about your connectivity.

The process of working with C-Fiber is incredibly painful. Whilst they may be competitively priced in the market, especially on Openserve (the network provider in my area), you always get what you pay for. I cannot speak to their connectivity - since I am still not connected - but in terms of customer service, I've definitely bought the lowest-end product that would be out there.

The story begins placing my order about five weeks ago. C Fiber delayed in passing the order on to Openserve by two weeks despite their assurances on the phone that I would get a confirmation of the order within 24 hours. They also neglected to email me anything, even a confirmation number, after charging my card, making following up particularly painful.

After this delay, I followed up regularly. It seemed that I would have to take the management of the installation of the line into my own hands and follow up frequently. I kept doing so and went through at least three people who were "senior enough to resolve the query". None of them called me back. At that point, we were four weeks in since I placed my original order.

To seek some type of satisfaction, I turned to Hello Peter. I quickly received a call from the Cell Cs complaints department - only to discover that they couldn't help since C-Fiber is a department completely on their own - they operate like the wild west within Cell C. They could only direct the complaint back to the people who couldn't solve it in the first place.

At this point, I wanted to move to another ISP. Every single ISP warned me that if I move, Cell C will drag their feet regarding the cancellation with Openserve and that it would cause even more delays because it could cause a gunk up in the system and I would have to wait for C-Fiber to ratify the cancellation and then go back to the beginning of the Queue. Much to my dismay, I was now literally trapped with C-Fiber until my line was at least installed -- whilst being unable to get any progress out of them.

To add insult to injury, I asked one of the other ISPs (ISPAfrika) to follow up regarding the order and see if they can take it over or expedite. They inform me that it is ready for installation and Openserve needs to be asked to do so by C Fiber!

After turning into the nightmare customer (a role I genuinely dislike) I finally got a hold of someone that could try to solve this. He (name kept out for privacy sake) oversees their installations. He escalated the matter, according to him, and I would receive a call within 24-48 hours. Two weeks later, I received a call. I immediately inform Cell C and they assure me that the second that Openserve has the line installed, it will be up and running. "It's just plug and play".

It was Openserve that wanted to come and install. True to their word, they rocked up on the day and installed the line and had it ready to go. The technician ensured that it was ready, gave me all the details I need to activate it. I call the "supervisor" at Cell C to arrange for activation and get the runaround again -- "I can't do anything for you until Openserve emails me. That can take a few days".

Here I now sit, with a shiny beautiful Openserve fiber connection in my home and unable to connect. I cannot reiterate enough how much it rings true that "You get what you pay for" in life, and specifically with ISPs. Also note that, according to many others that use their service, they have no local break out besides Gauteng. As such, you won't be getting competitive gaming pings to Europe.

To recap how it all went (approximate dates, I can't recall it all - although my call logs and emails do...):

Day 1: Place order with Cell C
Day 12: No feedback on the order from Cell C, so I call them repeatedly.
Day 14: Cell C places the order with Openserve (which then may have up to 6 weeks lead time).
Day 21: With no update on the order besides an order number -- and no ETA, and nobody willing to help, I take to hello peter
Day 22: I get a call from Cell C complaints apologizing profusely. They will direct the query to C-Fiber as they cannot deal with it.
Day 24: I call escalations with Cell C. They repeat what the complaints department already told me - C-Fiber works independently and they don't slot into the rest of cell C.
Day 25: I call WebAfrika - They are extremely helpful and within one day let me know, via their accounts manager with Openserve, that the installation is ready. I need to pressure my ISP - but my ISP is nowhere to be seen.
Day 25: I get a call from someone senior at C-Fiber. Openserve will call me within 24-48 hours.
Day 27-34: Call the person every single day to indicate Openserve has not called. Ignored about half the days, and promised it would be solved the other half.
Day 36: Openserve rocks up to install the line and activates everything. Cell C double-backs on their claim that everything would be running them and requests "another 48 hours". (I anticipate another two weeks of endless calls...).

The bottom line here is not that it took long - but that dealing with C-Fiber was the most painful customer service experience of my life. They are also accountable to nobody. This has been worse than even Telkom (and I've had a number of house installs with them in the past).

You may want to go with them because their Openserve packages are cheaper than the rest, especially at 100 megs - but just be aware that you will get what you pay for.

Good luck to the rest of you with your processes of installation, whoever you opt for!

As for me -- I'm going out to get wasted and then buy more mobile data, since my beautifully installed Fiber line is worth just about nothing at the moment.

With kindest regards,

Depressed internetless sod.
Hi Aleksas

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

Please PM us your ID number + contact number and all reference numbers you might have on your end we would love to assist.

^NZ

gimpex

Old thread but I’ve had a great experience with c Fibre after a disaster with Afrihost and Rocket net before that.

CFibre said 4 to 6 weeks for line installation , so I took out a cell c LTE SIM card for the interim period . They had me up and running within a week , including line installation and the one time I called support , took a while to answer , maybe 10min , but they were efficient . No complaints at all so far.

Afrihost.... took them 10 days after ONT activation and still couldn’t connect me. Each time I called I was asked to reset the router etc etc
Frustrations galore.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Old thread but I’ve had a great experience with c Fibre after a disaster with Afrihost and Rocket net before that.

CFibre said 4 to 6 weeks for line installation , so I took out a cell c LTE SIM card for the interim period . They had me up and running within a week , including line installation and the one time I called support , took a while to answer , maybe 10min , but they were efficient . No complaints at all so far.

Afrihost.... took them 10 days after ONT activation and still couldn’t connect me. Each time I called I was asked to reset the router etc etc
Frustrations galore.
There's a reason is now voted one of the worst ISP in SA.

Applemachanic

What’s the point you guys are so useless you never resolve ****. It’s shocking that you’re in business. Your call center agents are the Best there is when it comes to bullish!t too. I’ve logged several calls and have several reference numbers later and nothing is resolved. Too think I went from a connector 1 sim only to the fiber connector 50 package would be an easy upgrade unfortunately it’s been a miserable experience. A person would think that anyone upgrading from about R500 per month to R1600 a month would get speedy support. Unfortunately cell c biggest fault is the dumb asses they have on the phones in the call center. After shouting and demanding to speak to a manager you eventually get through to someone claiming to be a manager who doesn’t know what’s going on... Fed up with you useless lot. Will have to plaster my experience on YouTube, Facebook, hello peter and the ombudsman... Advice to you cell c: Train your staff on the products you sell...I’m posting this again to prove my point... did they not see my complaint earlier or did they choose to ignore it or can’t they see user Aleksas last posted on January 22 2018