Increased demand for devs in South Africa - average salaries in Gauteng, Western Cape, and KwaZulu-Natal

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Great news for programmers in South Africa

Demand for software developers in South Africa grew by 38% since January, the May 2021 CareerJunction Index (CJI) report revealed.

The CareerJunction Index monitors supply and demand trends in the South African labour market.

It represents online labour dynamics in South Africa by providing an analysis of the relative ratio of supply and demand in the online job market.

The CJI analysis is based on data gathered from the CareerJunction website.

Johand

Expert Member
I can believe it. It is almost impossible to get qualified people and everybody is poaching good people as well.

eg2505

Honorary Master
one thing I never understood, if its so hard to get Devs locally, why even hire locally? accent/ work ethic?

cant you hire Devs from India/USA or E/europe, its not like they need to be here to do the job, its all anyway done remotely.
Meetings/project plans everything.

I mean the laws of supply and demand arent on thier side,

konfab

Honorary Master
one thing I never understood, if its so hard to get Devs locally, why even hire locally? accent/ work ethic?

cant you hire Devs from India/USA or E/europe, its not like they need to be here to do the job, its all anyway done remotely.

Devs from first world countries are going to cost $$$ because of the exchange rate.
And all decent devs from India and other places like that get poached by the Amazons and Microsofts of the world.

Johand

Expert Member

Depends on the exact nature of the work. Some work offshore easily (e.g. a clear specification can be written, and code can be implemented in a software factory) and some is nearly impossible (work requiring a lot of iteration because it can't be specified fully upfront, detailed architecture/integration work spanning multiple systems and teams etc.)

Most big corporates have a mix depending on the specific requirements. But IMHO it is impossible to offshore everything.

eg2505

Honorary Master
IMHO it is impossible to offshore everything.
its simply too expensive, at the moment, but prices are dropping, and soon its possible to do almost everything offshore.
espcially with many of the talented local based Dev's going elsewhere, who will be left?

hj007

Expert Member
Anyone tried out the remote jobs like remoteok? Curious to see who's had success with this?
Saw there were a couple firms now that pay high rates regardless of country location.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Turbo nogal! jy is fancy
The best there was

WinWorld: Borland Turbo Pascal 7.x

Hamster

Resident Rodent

There's a dev shortage everywhere. I cannot think of any reason I would want to work for an SA company while sitting in Europe. I'm not hating on SA, but it sounds like a lot of complexity/admin for work that I can find here.

Besides, for Euro salaries you'll find somebody in SA.