Incredible perks which SA tech companies offer their employees

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
A buddy of mine works for MWEB and they get free DSTV and ADSL - I'm not 100% sure on the DSTV part, but I am of the ADSL part because I'm using his modem/router and account as backup since lives in a flat where he's not allowed to install a phone line.

km2

Expert Member
Some of the concierge services rather give the impression that they're there to remove excuses for employees being late returning from lunch.

Smurfatefrog

Expert Member
A buddy of mine works for MWEB and they get free DSTV and ADSL - I'm not 100% sure on the DSTV part, but I am of the ADSL part because I'm using his modem/router and account as backup since lives in a flat where he's not allowed to install a phone line.
Free DSTV unlikely seeing as DSTV employees dont get it for free

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Free DSTV unlikely seeing as DSTV employees dont get it for free
Maybe it changed?

Everyone in Naspers used to get it for an almost free discounted rate. That included Multichoice, Mweb, M24 as well as I recall 2 or 3 linked "family subscriptions" you could give to friends and family.

Even some part shared subsidiaries got it.

It was something like R150 or R180 for the full bouquet.

Quintrix

Heading and content of article don't match. I don't see a perk and an incentive as being the same.

To win a prize for being the best/delivering good sercvice is an incentive.

Free breakfast is a perk

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Lol @ Hertzner.
"Here, have a R100 injection on us! No, you can't keep the syringe."
Heading and content of article don't match. I don't see a perk and an incentive as being the same.

To win a prize for being the best/delivering good sercvice is an incentive.

Free breakfast is a perk
Yep, agreed.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Maybe it changed?

Everyone in Naspers used to get it for an almost free discounted rate. That included Multichoice, Mweb, M24 as well as I recall 2 or 3 linked "family subscriptions" you could give to friends and family.

Even some part shared subsidiaries got it.

It was something like R150 or R180 for the full bouquet.
Yup.

When I went for an interview about 2 years back, they punted the discounted DSTV for myself and linked family members, as well as a (slow) MWEB connection. Pity though the salary itself was 50% less than what I needed :/

krycor

Honorary Master
Telkom offers a Rand value discount on telecom services last time I heard in 2005/6 for permanent employees.

beans100

Honorary Master
Well, I get to use as much toilet paper as I want, when I go to the toilet. Oh, and a free lunch.

MickeyD

RIP
Telkom offers a Rand value discount on telecom services last time I heard in 2005/6 for permanent employees.
The rand value covers POTS line rental and voice calls - amount differs with job grade. It remains a benefit upon retirement (at pensionable age)

Birthday month = 13th cheque (although many have forgotten the purpose of it).

Sales staff qualify for holidays to exotic destinations (this is an incentive, not a perk).

Many staff have Telkom Mobile (work) phones and get from R300 worth of calls for free. (value depends on job grade)

Last edited:

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
When I worked at MTN Business, I got a data sim with unlimited data. that was cool for me at the time.

sparticus

Expert Member
Vodacom offers free cellphone up to a limit as well. Not sure why they listed what they did , seemed like the worst outa the lot and they not actually.

TrueCartman

Some of these are really nice...

The company I work for does the following :

Petrol card. (has a max value that's pretty high.. Everyone gets this)
Cell phone paid . (again max value..which I don't reach on my red vip contract)
Adsl at home paid. (Adsl and data..)
Open bar every day (open from 3pm...)
Free colddrinks during the day..
Flexi hours..
Regular lunches and braai's...

And last but not least..realises human beings work for them and everything that comes with that realization.