Independent Citroen mechanic

signates

Executive Member
I had a recall on my Citroen C4 EGS6 issued and took the car in today. A month ago an error popped up indicating the the engine is faulty and repair was needed. There was no difference in the car except on occasion the turbo would not work.

I asked then to do a diagnostic on the error and get back to me. I received a call this afternoon with some bad news. It will cost R100k to fix the issues, new turbo, petrol pump and cylinder head.

A while ago i had issues with their pricing on parts and after eventually sorting out out, they asked that their initial pricing was incorrect as they were moving to a new system. Received the quote and thought I'd do a quick check and the HP Petrol Pump that they quoted at R15k I can get from the UK for less than half excluding any import costs. The same with the turbo that they quoted at R23.5 k i can get for about R12k. Cylinder head was R25k and labour at R14k and engineering costs of R5k.

The other thing is that i do not know how to interpret the diagnostic report.

I'm looking for a mechanic in CT, preferably Somerset West/Strand that can look at the report and l let me know what the best way forward is. It's a 2011 model with 150k km on the clock. Love the car and never really had any issues. The car is still driving even with the current error message. The car is probably only worth R100k retail and and even less on trade-in. Fortunately it is paid up. maybe i should just trade it in as is.

A3@MBB

Time to sell the DS5 to me then ;-)

Quote sounds a bit wonky and that they are trying to shoot flies with a shotgun.

French car connection, my sister serviced her C3 at them while out of warranty. They never had a problem with them and was always honest in fault finding

http://www.frenchcarconnection.co.za

Last edited:

signates

Executive Member
Time to sell the DS5 to me then ;-)

Quote sounds a bit wonky and that they are trying to shoot flies with a shotgun.

French car connection, my sister serviced her C3 at them while out of warranty. They never had a problem with them and was always honest in fault finding

http://www.frenchcarconnection.co.za
Thanks. Will send them the diagnostic report and here what they have to say.

The DS5 is still going strong. Its the C4 EGS6. Actually thinking of trading the C4 in for another DS5 even though Citroen is leaving SA. Lovely car, just bad dealerships.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Their Twitter account is very much still active & involves almost daily postings. There're still in the country just no new cars will brought it for the time being at least.

Also FYI:

signates

Executive Member
Saw that.

The last time they quoted me R15k for a part that a UK Citroen dealer could get me for R2.5k excluding import costs. They eventually said that the part was assigned a new part number and that the initial quote was on the old part number and they reduced the price to R2800.00. Thread is somewhere on MyBB.

The part number for the HP Petrol Pump is 981993848 (R15 056.72 excluding labour) and the Turbo part number is 9807682180 (R23 498.23 excluding labour). I can get prices directly from a Citroen dealer in the UK at less than half their price at today's exchage rates.

airborne

Executive Member
That's ridiculous, small bore engine, not even a gearbox repair is included never mind a full engine overhaul, for a R100k!!

Can't you use a generic turbo, they come in at around R5k these days and have the cylinder head crack repaired at an engineering shop, and then with not much more labour that cost will also include fully rebuilding the head.

But basically what they are saying is we don't repair cars anymore, because for an ordinary bloke with zero diy/thrifty skills with a R100k repair for that car is a write off. Sell for spares and get a whole new car is a way better option.

That reminds me, a complete good condition(from an accident write off) 2hnd engine won't be much more than R10k, that's also a decent option?

Or try source just the head and pump/turbo, probably might not even need a pump or turbo replacement, knowing the stealerships they quote via best practice, ie if this happens replace this this and that and this is the price.. They don't even bother checking the condition of the existing parts..
Swine!

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
I believe any eCar dealership can deal in any brand, and same goes for the Bosch workshops. You must at least find a dealership that is an RMI member, for a little bit of confidence.

signates

Executive Member
Update.

Got my car back and still driving fine. Paid Citroen R912.00 for the diagnostic report.

I sent the report to 3 different workshops, an independent mechanic, FrenchConnection in Strand and a Bosch Service Centre in Strand. All of them are requesting that they do their own diagnostic report and each charging a different fee. I have asked why I need to have another diagnostic done and have not heard back from any of them.

Maybe I'm missing something but if they not going to physically inspect the engine and only going to plug in their diagnostic tool, is it really needed to pay for a diagnostic at every single mechanic. Can they not use the report that Citroen gave me?

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
signates, put yourself in their shoes. If you're a doctor and your patient brings you another doctor's diagnosis, are you going to treat based on that diagnosis directly or are you going to do your own checks to make sure? Their reputation is at stake if they don't fix the issue, because you'll blame them and not the original incorrect diagnostic report.

signates

Executive Member
It's a diagnostic report from Citroen. The company that manufactures the car. Is there any way that Citroen's report will be different to their 3rd party diagnostics?

Maybe my understanding is wrong but the impression I get is that they simply plug in their diagnostic tool and it reads the error codes and technical information from the car. They then recommend what needs to be done.

Your anology is a bit flawed as it's like taking a lab result to different doctors for an opinion and not having the same test done at different labs.

airborne

Executive Member
What they mean by the term diagnostics report is an inspection which would entail using electronic diagnostics and physical inspection/stripping of parts to ascertain what is wrong.

No garage is going to do a quote for a complex issue based on the report of another company unless you say how much to do "X" job. Even then often they'll typically want to see the car if it's major work.

But ideally you want an independent diagnosis, Citroën may easily have got it wrong, getting a quote to repair what they think is broken won't be so helpful, it's common for dealers to just throw money at problems without even bothering actually nail the root cause.

Philipopo

Please i want to know whether Citreon Ds4 2012-2014 is a nice and reliable car, the common fault. And where can i find a good repair workshop around Cape town, southern and northern suburbs. Okekephilip2@gmail.com it's my email

signates

Executive Member
I'm a huge Citroën fan an owned a C4 VTS, C4 EGS6 and currently have a DS5 and would not advise you to buy one. They are reliable cars but the problem comes in with replacements parts all having to come from France since Citroën pulled out of SA. I've never had any issues with the Citroëns I've owned. Currently have a small chip on the windscreen of the DS5 and have to wait 8 weeks for a new windscreen to be imported.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Having owned Citroens in the past....I can honestly say the best fix for the vehicle is setting it ablaze in a field somewhere.
I had endless issues with my first Citroen and intermittent issues with the second. I guess I needed to own the 2nd Citroen to well and truly learn my lesson.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Please i want to know whether Citreon Ds4 2012-2014 is a nice and reliable car, the common fault. And where can i find a good repair workshop around Cape town, southern and northern suburbs. Okekephilip2@gmail.com it's my email
Are you a fan of the brand or are you just buying a car? If the latter just move on and look at something else. Even if you find the mechanic you will still needs to get parts and I bet whoever sells them would want to make a fortune on that rare occasion someone comes in to buy a part.