India gives SA middle finger

yebocan

Honorary Master
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
14,008
The Indian cricket juggernaut has fired a particularly cynical shot across South Africa’s bows.

Cricket South Africa suddenly faces potentially one of its most serious diplomatic crises of the post-isolation era as once staunch ally the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) threatens to rip this country’s intended keynote series of the 2013/14 summer to shreds.

In a move that will have major implications for CSA’s coffers and the good humour of their Proteas-supporting public if it proceeds, the Indian authorities have approved rival tours both preceding and following the scheduled Indian visit to South Africa - ones which only seem to indicate that almost half of the proposed, keenly-awaited international clashes between these strong foes will be scuppered by them.

The BCCI announced on Sunday that it had given the green light for a previously unscheduled tour of India by moderate West Indies (comprising both Tests and one-day internationals) in November, while also approving an itinerary for India’s trip to New Zealand which curiously and glaringly encroaches on the roster for the supposedly blue-chip SA safari already revealed by CSA to domestic enthusiasts.

A few weeks ago, CSA unveiled a packed programme of SA-India clashes (the Proteas top the global Test pile, whilst India head up the ODI category) across all three major formats, scheduled to begin on November 21 and only ending on January 19.

But the West Indies tour now clearly threatens to overlap with the start of that combat, whilst an itinerary released by the New Zealand authorities on Monday indicates the first ODI against India starting on January 19: that is supposedly the final day of the third and last Test between the Proteas and MS Dhoni’s outfit at the Wanderers.

The New Zealand tour also now starts - ominously from a South African perspective - more than two weeks earlier than previously thought.

The BCCI is yet to formally approve the itinerary for the SA tour, which CSA says will include three Tests, two Twenty20 internationals and as many as seven money-spinning ODIs.

Instead the Indian bosses now reportedly want a mere two Tests (always a brew that irks followers of the purist form), three ODIs and the two T20 matches.

According to The Times of India on Monday, the BCCI considers CSA to have “unilaterally” issued the initial fixtures without Indian consent.

The newspaper said the South African safari had “run into serious trouble” as a result of the West Indies tour initiative.

That visit will also now probably be the party-pooper for SA fans who had wished to see Sachin Tendulkar become the first cricketer to reach the 200-cap mark in Tests in the traditional New Year Test at Newlands: it now appears the 40-year-old batting icon will reach the landmark in his home city of Mumbai against the significantly weaker Caribbean outfit.

But by far the more worrying issue right now is the fate of the whole Indian visit to these shores - bilateral relations have been so tetchy since CSA’s appointment of Haroon Lorgat as CEO that the entire mission being in peril cannot be discounted.

The BCCI made warlike noises even before Lorgat’s appointment, because they had locked horns with him while he was serving as chief executive of world body the International Cricket Council (ICC) and made clear to the SA authorities that they would not take kindly to his installation domestically.

Sadly, it seems that a mouth-watering series - one taking place slap-bang in South Africa’s peak summer holiday time - is now teetering as a result primarily of a bout of “silly buggers” and clashes of egos between administrators.

Some deft diplomacy and perhaps even the deliberate display of an olive branch - whether it is justified or not - may be required by Lorgat and company to salvage even a curtailed tour out of the BCCI, which knows it is the real power of world cricket commercially and sometimes luxuriates in that very position quite infuriatingly.

It is not as though CSA can quickly concoct a suitably glamorous Plan B for peak summer: other fierce traditional cricketing rivals England and Australia will be locked in the second of back-to-back Ashes series Down Under at the time the Indian tour is meant to be commanding intense attention here.

Just as irksomely, Test cricket will be the biggest loser yet again if the Indian visit is slashed to two Tests rather than three - remember that only a few months ago there had even been hopeful talk of hiking the Test portion to a more desirable four, something the No 1-ranked Proteas are well overdue for.

Are CSA going to take off their cap and put it humbly in their hand - even if quietly muttering blue murder as they do so - before the BCCI mandarins?

That seems the million-dollar question right now.

Maybe, too, it is the only way to wriggle out of a frightful mess ...


http://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Proteas/India-gives-SA-middle-finger-20130902
 

yebocan

Honorary Master
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
14,008
BCCI can go screw themselves!! Around every turn, they want to dictate terms...Time the ICC grows a pair, you may have the biggest market India, but how would you like to play against yourself? There is going to come a time, when the world is going to say stuff this!! Sooner then later pls...
 

Bern

Expert Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2010
Messages
2,675
That visit will also now probably be the party-pooper for SA fans who had wished to see Sachin Tendulkar become the first cricketer to reach the 200-cap mark in Tests in the traditional New Year Test at Newlands: it now appears the 40-year-old batting icon will reach the landmark in his home city of Mumbai against the significantly weaker Caribbean outfit.

This seems it is purely a money thing for the Indian concern - play in their stadiums against a substandard side (read better percentage of revenue at stadiums and TV rights for India) and allowing Tendulkar to be more likely to smash a century in front of his home crowd. They don't want Dale Steyn bowling him out for a duck at Newlands or something like that for the historic occasion. Plus can you imagine the merchandising $$ for him in Mumbai?
 

Musicmp3

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2012
Messages
810
We dont have the b*lls to tell them to shove it. We allow them to make mockery of us. Naturally the ICC will also bow to them.

I say stuff them and makie their tours illegal!

The tail is wagging the dog here..................
 

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
6,652
They already know from the IPL that they can give the ICC the middle finger. I would suggest most of our players playing in the IPL wouldn't want to rock the boat either...
 

Ecco

Executive Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
8,903
I cant believe there is no news on the India tour to SA.

The AGM was supposed to resolve this matter yesterday - nothing has been reported in the news.
 

undesign

Executive Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2007
Messages
9,024
Best team in the world...and we hardly play any tests. Fekking ridiculous. :mad:
 

Wall

Sports Addict
Joined
Mar 12, 2009
Messages
30,841
With amount of money involved and India being a major source of this revenue, I think it will be difficult to stop them. In effect they control the ICC. Rules are changed, schedule's decided only when the BCCI is happy and it's complete BS.

CSA,ECB and CA need to team up against the BCCI, the only problem is the boards like Sri Lanka, Pakistan and WI are financially stricken and are not in any sort of position to turn down the BCCI.

I have absolutely no respect for the organisation that is the BCCI.

I was reading a few cricketing forums and there are Indian fans who can see the motives and intentions of the BCCI and they are equally disappointed that the tour is in jeopardy.
 

Wall

Sports Addict
Joined
Mar 12, 2009
Messages
30,841
South Africa's players would like to see an "urgent engagement" between their board, CSA, and its Indian counterpart, the BCCI, to resolve fixtures over this summer's India series. The national team is due to leave for the UAE this Friday but their home tour against India has no confirmed itinerary after the BCCI objected to CSA's schedule of three Tests, seven ODIs and two Twenty20s.

Tony Irish, the South African Cricketer's Association (SACA) chief executive, told ESPNcricinfo that the BCCI's leadership structure has been formalised following yesterday's AGM and the players are hopeful the series can be discussed as a matter of importance. ICC chief executive Dave Richardson also spoke on the issue for the first time when he said they could not intervene in bilateral arrangements.

"This is the main tour of the summer and has a massive financial implication on cricket. We are about six weeks away from it and to have it all up in the air is really worrying and frustrating," Irish said. "The players want to see it sorted out. Until yesterday, CSA did not know who they were dealing with at the BCCI because they had not had their election but now that that is sorted it, they need to do whatever it takes to get the discussion going."

CSA has confirmed it is awaiting the dates of a meeting with the BCCI, although it was earlier mooted that the presidents of the boards would meet at the ICC board meeting on October 16 and 17.

Irish, in the meanwhile, met with all the players as part of his usual pre-season get together and said the issue of the India tour came up among many of them. "The players are stakeholders in the game and will be affected by whatever happens," he said, explaining the impact is two-fold. "It's not just a financial thing, it's also about the opportunity to play in in a high-profile Test series and substantial limited-overs competitions."

The South Africa Test team, ranked No. 1 in the world, has not played a match since February. They were due a bumper summer including two Tests against Pakistan and three each against India and Australia in a bid to extend their lead at the top of the rankings. "This is the best Test team we have ever had and it's a very settled unit. They need to be playing in order to keep that momentum," Irish said.

While seven ODIs were considered overkill, the financial gains would have benefitted South Africa's smaller grounds. Should the tour be curtailed, which seems a certainty in light of India's other series against West Indies and New Zealand, South African cricket could lose up to R200 million (US$20 million).

Irish and the players are not the only people who want to see the issue sorted out. South Africa's provincial affiliates are anxious to know who will host matches and even Richardson expressed concern. "The ICC does not like the fact that two of its strongest members are in dispute. Historically, South Africa and India have been the strongest of allies. The game needs both," he told South Africa's Sunday Times.

But Richardson explained why the ICC cannot intervene in bilateral arrangements. "Constitutionally we are a members' organisation. The ICC only has as much authority over the members as the members are prepared to give it. The ICC currently does not have the authority to determine the FTP. The FTP schedule was determined by agreement between the full members."

The FTP is a non-binding agreement and should countries not reach consensus over the composition of tours, the ICC requires them to play a minimum of two Tests and three ODIs. It looks increasingly likely that maybe that's all South Africa will get out of India this summer, although Graeme Smith's team would obviously like more.

Source: cricinfo.

The bolded bit is of major concern to me. it's our peak season and this is all we can expect this summer? ****ing ridiculous.

The ICC needs to amend their rules to minimum 3 tests and 3 ODI's at the very least.
 

MongooseMan

Expert Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2009
Messages
1,350
The BCCI has invited Cricket South Africa president, Chris Nenzani, for discussions on the proposed bilateral series, whose details are yet to be agreed upon and finalised.

"I have formally invited Mr Nenzani to come down to India and discuss the nitty-gritty of the series," BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel said. "The date and venue will be finalised once all formalities are completed."

Patel, however, made it clear that the BCCI had not invited CSA chief executive Haroon Lorgat, whose appointment is believed to have led to the breakdown of relations between the two boards. Lorgat and Patel had met on the sidelines of the ICC chief executives' committee meeting in Dubai last month, but had failed to reach a consensus over itinerary.

Though an agreement has been elusive so far, Patel was confident the tour would take place. "We are very positive about the tour and don't see any reason to take the extreme step."

He elaborated on what the BCCI's grouse with the schedule announced by CSA was. "All that we are aggrieved about is the fact that we were taken for granted and the itinerary was announced unilaterally. Besides, our priority is the Board's and our players' interests. My boys are not machines, they need a break. Who are you (CSA) to tell them they should be on the road for more than three-four months?"
http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-india-2013-14/content/story/678093.html

I reckon we cancel and play Afghanistan...
 

Mercury12

Expert Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2008
Messages
1,585
Tendulkar announces his retirement after his 200th test in India in November. This is probably the real reason India cut the series short.
 

droplet

Expert Member
Joined
May 13, 2011
Messages
1,649
totally sad that SRT doesn't get the chance to bow out against the best...

money-grabbing BCCI...
 
Top