Inflation?

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
I am no economist, so I may need a but of correction here. S.A.'s inflation and CPIX are supposedly both under 10% - right?

I just spent a week in Jo'burg after 10 months overseas. I can not believe how expensive things have become. Having stayed with friends who I shared a house with before I left, my spending ended up being about the same as it was before I left, except for the addition of car hire.

Just about everything I spent money on is about 30% more expensive than 10 months ago. Car hire - R280 pd to R399 pd for the same model from the same company. Doctor's visit, up from R180 to R240. My favourite locally produced red wine, bought from the same supermarket, up from R45-ish to R60. Groceries for dinner (cooking for 5) - R60-ish to R90-ish. Don't even get me started on more "luxurious" expenses like eating out and using a wireless hotspot.

How does the official inflation figures relate to what stuff really cost??? :confused:

mccrack

Expert Member
Got back from England 3 months ago and I definately share your thoughts ....
Something is out of whack here, but I just put it down to everyone increasing prices when petrol went up and just left there prices there when petrol came down again

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
That's what I thought as well, but where does the inflation figures come from then? Obviously not derived from the real prices we pay?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
They use a weighted basket of goods...

Usually things most "middle" class people don't use from what I remember.

Charlie.

I don't really think that "car rental" and "red wine" fall into the basket.

noswal

Executive Member
Just heard P&P are spending R110m on new branding of stores.... now some would say to just use that to reduce prices to get in more customers.

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
I don't really think that "car rental" and "red wine" fall into the basket.
I just mentioned those because they were big numbers that stood out. But, car rental aside, I think the things I've mentioned are things that the average middle class person spends money on.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Steers rave burgers are down to R10 (from R12, R12 from R14 for chicken) since last week, so sometimes prices do go down :)