Infringement Notice Cancelled - PAIA

ProfA

Honorary Master
So you paid the fine why? Was there a summons issued for your arrest?

Neuk_

Executive Member
I checked PayCity or whatever it is called the other day, three fines, one says case finalised but is from years ago and the other two were R560 and R125 if I remember correctly. I went through a roadblock a few years ago and the cop printed out all my fines and then didn't know what to do when I thanked him but failed to offer anything in the form of a bribe.

eg2505

Honorary Master
question for you guys,

if you have a lot of fines, at what point do they arrest you on the spot?
(contempt of court, summons, warrant?)
asking for a Friend, as me, I paid my ridiculous fine for doing 75 in a 60 zone, got fined R400

a friend of mine regularly gets massive fines, drives like a p0es, and bribes regularly,
im trying to determine at what point will he get locked up?

b_crazy

Expert Member
question for you guys,

if you have a lot of fines, at what point do they arrest you on the spot?
(contempt of court, summons, warrant?)
asking for a Friend, as me, I paid my ridiculous fine for doing 75 in a 60 zone, got fined R400

a friend of mine regularly gets massive fines, drives like a p0es, and bribes regularly,
im trying to determine at what point will he get locked up?

According to this:

https://southcoastherald.co.za/21601/when-can-you-be-arrested-at-a-roadblock/

• Police officials conducting a roadblock may only legally arrest you for an unpaid traffic fine if a valid warrant of arrest has been issued against you. A warrant of arrest is normally issued if you have failed to appear in court following the issuing and service of a summons against you. In terms of Section 39 of the Criminal Procedure Act you have the right to be informed of the reason of your arrest and the right to demand a copy of the warrant of arrest at the roadblock. There is no legal provision that you have the right to receive the original warrant, as has been suggested by various sources.The police will thereafter have the right to detain you in custody until you are lawfully discharged. Should you demand to receive a copy of the warrant and fail to receive it, but are still unlawfully detained or arrested, you will have the right to bring civil action against the police where you may seek compensation for an unlawful arrest or detention.