Injured Matrics lay charges against Protesters

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20100819124407819C124915

Two hundred protesters stormed into the premises of the Scottburgh Country Club yesterday and allegedly assaulted Scottburgh High School matrics with knobkieries.

The pupils were attending classes that had been quietly arranged to help them with their work during the teachers' strike. Six pupils have laid charges of assault against the protesters.

Cosatu's Zet Luzipho yesterday distanced the organisation from the incident.

Despite this attack and continued reports of intimidation, the Department of Education yesterday urged matrics to continue going to school during the strike.

A teacher from Scottburgh High School said: "When protesters arrived at our school last week, forcing us to close, we had to come up with a plan. We thought we would be pro active and arranged to have lessons at the country club for our matrics, so that we don't provoke further intimidation."

The teacher, who asked not to be named, said the school's 107 matrics had arrived in civvies yesterday and gone to the Scottburgh Country Club, where the school had been granted permission to conduct lessons.

However, at 11.30am yesterday he said about 200 protesters had arrived through the back of the club and assaulted pupils using their fists and knobkieries in an attempt to gain access into the club.

If I was one of the parents of these guys... and a protester attacked one of my kids....

Well... let's just say there would be hell to pay.

Freaking scumbags.

Handz

If i was one of the parents...there would be alot less than 200 protesters when im done

zulgin

Expert Member
Let the police use real bullets instead of rubber bullets - just once.

hawker

Honorary Master
This makes me mad!

No respect. Animals.

Last edited:

wrathex

Expert Member
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20100819124407819C124915

If I was one of the parents of these guys... and a protester attacked one of my kids....
Well... let's just say there would be hell to pay.

Freaking scumbags.

Agreed, there's a big difference between peaceful protest and criminal assault.

If my child was injured or assaulted in any way, anywhere, I would go into high combat mode, thank the lord my son is in Grade 11 and only has a year and few months left in the school system.

His school is in daily sms contact with me, and the whole of Stellenbosch, comprising the university and several primary and high schools, is geared towards the safety of students in general.

I remember the apartheid days in primary school, we painted our windows so the 'terrorists' couldn't see us in our classrooms, and having to do bomb drills frequently. Students and learners shouldn't fear going to school, and their safety shouldn't be an issue at all.

I would like to mention the other civil servant strikers, the health workers, who abandon their patients without blinking an eye, it's disgusting.

Labour unions should be held accountable for members who endanger the lives of citizens and individuals must be prosecuted for injuries and damages caused.

Voicy

Honorary Master
These philistines are just part of a massive group of car guards.

100% threats and intimidation .... 0% accountability for their actions. If they're willing to beat on kids, I gladly invite them to pick on a mob of us their own size.

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
parents or students that have been intimidated or injured or held hostage by these hooligans should report them and lay whatever charges are deemed necessary and follow through with it just to teach them a lesson.

Kornhole

Blackburn Fan
WTF! Hell,they are trying to get educated you dumb (swear word). :mad: Disgusting!! By the way could you guys let me know why they are striking? I knew that they were just don't know why.

S7wede

Expert Member
To everybody posting in this thread, I say thank you for your words of support. Just to let you know more of the situation, we, the educators and staff of Scottburgh High School, have reported into the police station daily since last thursday. We have laid charges of intimidation, but the inspector involved has commented that it will be fruitless. This type of intimidation occurred during the last public sector strike as well and police also refused to open a case then.

F

Fudzy

What amazes me about situations like these is it really highlights the huge divides we have in our society still. It's atrocious that people can get away with things like this, what's even more atrocious is that there are probably people who work with people who endorse this type of behaviour.

Draconia2

Expert Member
i would seriously ^$^$@$ some #$%^ up if my kids (when they arrive lol) got hurt in this, my lawyers would do what they do best , be the bloodsucking insects they are lol .

i really do hope most of them got captured or atleast something is being done about this other than simple charges, we all know it will only take months and months before there is an outcome. these animals make me sick. Dont take this the wrong way down, there are some really good people out there, for one : my pastor.

Respect to the good people . ya man

pmbellis

We have laid charges of intimidation, but the inspector involved has commented that it will be fruitless. This type of intimidation occurred during the last public sector strike as well and police also refused to open a case then.

Grab your local reporter to accompany you, grab one or two concerned citizens with good video cameras [that record audio well] & THEN go and lay your charge.

The police CANNOT refuse to open a case if you report assault. The media attention will force them to follow correct procedures ... just make sure YOU stay within civilized bounds on camera!

S7wede

Expert Member
we had E-TV, and our daily newspapers at school today taking learners statements and video evidence. I would like to bet real money, that COSAS / COSATU will not hold any accountability.