Insane packet losses and im losing hope

eltonstrydom

So I have the most INSANE packet losses I have ever seen. And to top it all of I have spoken to atleast 6+ afrihost support members and everytime they just reset my ports and ask me to restart my router. Then it doesn't do anything the packet losses persists and they say everything seems fine on their side. here is a screen shot of my horror(not this is on a good day). The screenshot is when connected via wifi(i switched from ethernet while testing to see if i had a faulty cable). Anywho my packet losses goes anything from 5% to 100% constantly. And I am a very passionate gamer. I use to game atleast 5 hours after work everyday but yeah. Not anymore. Is the problem from my side or afrihost please can someone with more network experience help me out with some solid advice.

Attachments

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
What happened recenty that caused this? Bad thunderstorm?

eltonstrydom

What happened recenty that caused this? Bad thunderstorm?
I moved into a new area, and moved my line from telkom here(just the voice) then ordered afrihost dsl and data(i am a new customer only been with them for a few weeks). All the copper lines are 100% i tested the snr margin attenuation and all that stuff.

Basically its been like this since i got the internet from them(first i assumed its because i only got a 2mbps line) I upgraded to a 4mb just for incase. Then one day i noticed im playing with 160 ping. Only for the one day and after that packet losses all the way again.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
So I have the most INSANE packet losses I have ever seen. And to top it all of I have spoken to atleast 6+ afrihost support members and everytime they just reset my ports and ask me to restart my router. Then it doesn't do anything the packet losses persists and they say everything seems fine on their side. here is a screen shot of my horror(not this is on a good day). The screenshot is when connected via wifi(i switched from ethernet while testing to see if i had a faulty cable). Anywho my packet losses goes anything from 5% to 100% constantly. And I am a very passionate gamer. I use to game atleast 5 hours after work everyday but yeah. Not anymore. Is the problem from my side or afrihost please can someone with more network experience help me out with some solid advice.
I can see that you average ms from your router (Hope 1 = 192.168.1.1) is 22ms this is really not good. If you are testing via wifi. Please test via LAN. If you are testing via LAN please switch cables or ports till get a reading equal to or less than 1 ms.

eltonstrydom

I can see that you average ms from your router (Hope 1 = 192.168.1.1) is 22ms this is really not good. If you are testing via wifi. Please test via LAN. If you are testing via LAN please switch cables or ports till get a reading equal to or less than 1 ms.
Hi there, so i attached it to the router directly. I took another screenshot. This is definetly way better but there are still packet losses from the jumps after my router.

Attachments

eltonstrydom

Also I don't know if this could be a result for packet losses. But there was a problem when upgrading my 2mb line to a 4mb line. Something in miss management from you guys and openserve. So I am still waiting for that to be sorted. Could this to some degree be a factor for packet losses?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Also I don't know if this could be a result for packet losses. But there was a problem when upgrading my 2mb line to a 4mb line. Something in miss management from you guys and openserve. So I am still waiting for that to be sorted. Could this to some degree be a factor for packet losses?
I will need to look into that part on my side. Do you mind sending me a PM with your account information?

Hi there, so i attached it to the router directly. I took another screenshot. This is definetly way better but there are still packet losses from the jumps after my router.
Can you possibly run a test to afrihost.co.za? I would like to see how a local address works as that IP address is pointing to an international server.

eltonstrydom

I will need to look into that part on my side. Do you mind sending me a PM with your account information?

Can you possibly run a test to afrihost.co.za? I would like to see how a local address works as that IP address is pointing to an international server.
Still waiting for a reply on my convo message i sent you. but here is the local ping test. Still having INSANE packet losses and nobody have been able to help me I have not played a game in weeks now.

Attachments

eltonstrydom

So just an update if anyone was interested. I tried using VPN software as some google searches said this helps. And while running the VPN software I have 0% packet losses. I can 100% game on a stable connection. Only problem is for all those proper VPN software I have to pay. Which I am not willing to do since I am already paying afrihost for internet? The problem is most definitely on your side afri people. Please help me.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Still waiting for a reply on my convo message i sent you. but here is the local ping test. Still having INSANE packet losses and nobody have been able to help me I have not played a game in weeks now.
I am so sorry about this, it honestly looks like I have missed your PM.

So just an update if anyone was interested. I tried using VPN software as some google searches said this helps. And while running the VPN software I have 0% packet losses. I can 100% game on a stable connection. Only problem is for all those proper VPN software I have to pay. Which I am not willing to do since I am already paying afrihost for internet? The problem is most definitely on your side afri people. Please help me.
That very odd. You will use the same breakout even though your connection is now encrypted.

When you are testing are you testing roughly around the same time?

eltonstrydom

That very odd. You will use the same breakout even though your connection is now encrypted.

I mostly shift between the evening times, i am going to test it in a few minutes swell since I have the day off. Trust me i am just as confused as you because even thou I am using a vpn my first jump outside the exchange will always be the same?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I mostly shift between the evening times, i am going to test it in a few minutes swell since I have the day off. Trust me i am just as confused as you because even thou I am using a vpn my first jump outside the exchange will always be the same?
Pretty much, as it drops traffic from port 80 if I remember correctly.

eltonstrydom

Okay so quick update I am playing games now. and my ping is insanely low. 147 on europe with 0% packet losses. What could cause the packet losses at different times of the day then

eltonstrydom

Pretty much, as it drops traffic from port 80 if I remember correctly.
so what can we do to get rid of those packet losses at night? I am playing now and having 0 problems. it seems its just as night as im use to only get home latte afternoon.

Iamnotageek

Expert Member
Never, ever game with WI-FI. Cable baby, cable ! Use WI-FI when you're busy moisturising a girl on Whatsapp or Facebook Messenger.

Gaming always always use a cable. Every gamer knows this.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
so what can we do to get rid of those packet losses at night? I am playing now and having 0 problems. it seems its just as night as im use to only get home latte afternoon.

If it is happening at specific times (especially late afternoon and early evening when you can expect most people to be at home), I would guess you are connected to a congested exchange. So everyone that is getting home is logging in at the same time. There is nothing that you can do to address that, short of some how getting OpenServe to upgrade the backhall cabling to the exchange.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I have sent you a PM with a test that you can send me when you experience issues again.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
If it is happening at specific times (especially late afternoon and early evening when you can expect most people to be at home), I would guess you are connected to a congested exchange. So everyone that is getting home is logging in at the same time. There is nothing that you can do to address that, short of some how getting OpenServe to upgrade the backhall cabling to the exchange.
We are testing to see if this could be the case.

eltonstrydom

One of the openserve technicians that came to fix my line( and yes beside my packet loss my line was down for 4 days due to some issues on openserves side, just my luck) said that they are actually busy replacing cables somewhere outside the exchange that will give higher speeds or something, could this possibly be what you are referring to ?

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
One of the openserve technicians that came to fix my line( and yes beside my packet loss my line was down for 4 days due to some issues on openserves side, just my luck) said that they are actually busy replacing cables somewhere outside the exchange that will give higher speeds or something, could this possibly be what you are referring to ?

Possibly, yes.