Inside the luxurious smart homes of SA’s millionaires

Arthur

Honorary Master
What unbelievably hideous houses in the article pics. Big thumbs down. Smart house maybe. But utterly tasteless and cold.

_TrXtR_

The control LCD's are kinda eyesore... like they wanted a temporary solution. Ive seen better looking ones for sale, probably limited stock from the supplier :D

garyc

Expert Member
The first house has 70 automated blinds. I imagine that the repairman will be visiting regularly.

Milano

Honorary Master
What a headache, no tks. You would need a 'backup home' in very near proximity unless you want endless repairman traffic through your home.

DLComputer

DLComputer representative
Company Rep
The first one almost looked like a container house, or well the same type of design I suppose.

PsyWulf

Executive Member
1 thing I must add about these control 4 units (I've dealt with a few complex installations by other companies). They can be very sensitive to network disruption (and load shedding). The wireless Mesh the units create for their remotes to be able to "roam" is also finnicky at times - needing to reboot the remotes a few times a week

The units run a custom build headless linux so i'd sometimes set up an automated batch/schedule to telnet in and cycle the units in correct order to prevent hiccups

kolakidd

What unbelievably hideous houses in the article pics. Big thumbs down. Smart house maybe. But utterly tasteless and cold.
Absolutely, there is just a complete lack of any personality. I don't understand the desire for architects to make a home more like a hotel than a living space.

SplaT

Absolutely, there is just a complete lack of any personality. I don't understand the desire for architects to make a home more like a hotel than a living space.
I love house designs like this. I very much prefer a clean open modern design.

Why does my house need a personality? How do you even define what gives a house personality? Clutter?
I would kill to live in houses like these.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I would kill to live in houses like these.
Yeah. Something died. :p

Apart from Bauhaus boxiness, another problem is .... no books. None of these houses have any books. Their occupiers don't seem to read.

It shows.

Last edited:

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Yeah. Something died. :p

Apart from Bauhaus boxiness, another problem is .... no books. None of these houses have any books. Their occupiers don't seem to read.

It shows.
Given the level of automation etc,i'd assume a Kindle/iPad would carry the balance of the libraries of a few countries and not take more space than a magazine (and it's not a design feature so is removed to off-shot during photos)

Arthur

Honorary Master
Given the level of automation etc,i'd assume a Kindle/iPad would carry the balance of the libraries of a few countries and not take more space than a magazine (and it's not a design feature so is removed to off-shot during photos)
Possible, of course. Undeniably. But I suspect very unlikely, based on my experience. :D

Arthur

Honorary Master
Well even my non palatial home ( Read 3 bedroom ) has no books displayed,but we're avid readers with kindles and tablets ;)
Lekker. Of course you're right. I'm being a bit irreverent. Know too many people with oodles of boodle but no interior life. ;)

MrR

Expert Member
So, gotta ask this:

A new threat arises by incorporating smart technology in your home, namely hacking (in all shapes and form). What protection/risk mitigation do these systems offer and are certain local industries ready for it; like the insurance industry?

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
The control LCD's are kinda eyesore... like they wanted a temporary solution. Ive seen better looking ones for sale, probably limited stock from the supplier :D
The first house has 70 automated blinds. I imagine that the repairman will be visiting regularly.
Joh, the jealousy.

The link that @Kingofmybbknowitalls posted, now that are garish...