Inside the ultra-modern R6-million Cape Town shipping container home

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
  • Pitch black
  • R6m

giphy.gif

CommonSense

Now I know why Nkandla was so expensive. Should have used containers instead of mud there.

Now I think the Nkandla people really did a terrific job considering the basic equipment they had to work with, instead of this new-fangled highly modern container stuff.

elysian

They should use some of that profit and get a pro to make their website.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
That is not that cheap, looks terrible, and I wonder how the house will handle rust considering it's right at the sea. Yes, it's weathered steel, but most containers at sea are ~10 years, in storage it's around 25 years.
My second question is how the house handles insulation, it's going to get very hot in there.

nightjar

Executive Member
Shows that no project is impossible if you chuck enough money at it.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
In my view, it is not that bad, but not good-looking. Also, the container idea here is more cosmetic than anything else. I doubt that the buyer went out to buy a 'container' home, it was a design choice in my opinion.

“Using containers for construction enabled us to work with the steep site to create stepped terraced indoor and outdoor areas,” she said.

From the photos, land was still moved. The columns still required structural engineering, as did the casts.

But yeah, I like the idea, not the home.

Grant

Honorary Master
I rather like it.
The black will allow the house to blend into its natural surroundings once the vegetation around the house starts growing again.
At night it would look rather good, with just the lighting visible - far better than snow white houses sticking out like sore thumbs from the surrounding environment.

krycor

Honorary Master
That is not that cheap, looks terrible, and I wonder how the house will handle rust considering it's right at the sea. Yes, it's weathered steel, but most containers at sea are ~10 years, in storage it's around 25 years.
My second question is how the house handles insulation, it's going to get very hot in there.

Containers are not the cheap and effective solution to buildings..insulation and structural support issues mean you have to solve that with other materials.

From what I’ve read, it’s cool for facades but even there.. you get the same effect with cheaper materials as cladding.