install a web browser on a pc that dont have any.

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
file explorer will allow you to go to a website, or an ftp site, just type in the website or ftp site name.
or you can create a network share on another computer, and connect to that to copy any browser off.

if not, wget, curl, ftp, ssh, or terminal are options if available., although the usb is the easiest - stick one on your keyring so you always have it with you.

many many options that will work (and have been touched upon above).

wget is probably the easiest, then ftp..

For example, if you wish to download the US English installer for Windows (32bit)
the url is https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-latest&os=win&lang=en-US

This could be pasted into the location bar of a browser, or used with curl or wget, e.g.
wget -O FirefoxSetup.exe "https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-latest&os=win&lang=en-US"

For other operating systems replace 'os=win' with:
Windows 64bit os=win64
OS X os=osx
Linux x86_64 os=linux64
Linux i686 os=linux

Lucas Buck

Executive Member
Thank you ponder for all the information and to all the guys who did the same and the guys who lead me to this.Ponder this is great stuff man.I will archive this information immediately.Just a quick question is this ftp server gonna run for a long time and is these folders being updated bi yearly..Ponder this was the solution i was looking for although others also said ftp but i ran powershell and it could not find anything,i will post the error but the explorer side worked.

When running powershell this error occurs
Get-Process : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'ftp'.
At line:1 char:1
+ PS D:\> ftp ftp.sun.ac.za
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: :)) [Get-Process], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetProcessCommand
Leave out the "PS D:\>" when copying the command.

Insert this command in powershell, "ftp ftp.sun.ac.za", without the quotation marks.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Honorary Master
the thing is i already fixed it ,all i am asking is what if you in a situation like that then what does one do
no browsers
no flash
no phone
no network cable no bluetooth.
is there a way
Drive caddy. Stick hard drive into caddy and connect to another computer then copy install file across

dablakmark8

Honorary Master
Leave out the "PS D:\>" when copying the command.

Insert this command in powershell, "ftp ftp.sun.ac.za", without the quotation marks.
ok will try that now ..thank you man its working now but it failed on username

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
You can’t not have a browser in modern windows, it’s literally built into the system.

Are you sure it’s not just the shortcut that’s missing?

Lucas Buck

Executive Member
You can’t not have a browser in modern windows, it’s literally built into the system.

Are you sure it’s not just the shortcut that’s missing?
That machine is most likely suffering from aids, syphilis and gonorrhea. A clean install is the way to go.

ponder

Honorary Master
Just a quick question is this ftp server gonna run for a long time and is these folders being updated bi yearly..

I don't know how long into the future the server will run but what I can tell you is the first time I used that univ of stellenbosch server was in 1992...
If you look at the path /ftp/pub/mirrors/ftp.opera.com/desktop/43.0.2442.806/win/ that will tell you they are mirroring the ftp.opera.com server, the server contents are synced at least daily using rsync.
You'll notice that the opera files are out of date as opera no longer maintains that browser so there will be no updates.
You can also setup your own ftp server in the cloud and sync folders from ftp.opera.com, ftp.mozilla.org etc

...,i will post the error but the explorer side worked.

I don't know why powershell gives you that error. Does it work with the normal dos CMD window?

dablakmark8

Honorary Master
I don't know how long into the future the server will run but what I can tell you is the first time I used that univ of stellenbosch server was in 1992...
If you look at the path /ftp/pub/mirrors/ftp.opera.com/desktop/43.0.2442.806/win/ that will tell you they are mirroring the ftp.opera.com server, the server contents are synced at least daily using rsync.
You'll notice that the opera files are out of date as opera no longer maintains that browser so there will be no updates.
You can also setup your own ftp server in the cloud and sync folders from ftp.opera.com, ftp.mozilla.org etc

I don't know why powershell gives you that error. Does it work with the normal dos CMD window?
problem is fixed,i had to omit some text