Insufficient privileges to comment

GeorgeAF

I have been a long term follower of MyBB but with no official account on their database. I decided to register one last year but even after that, I never really used my account to comment on anything. I decided to join in since most of these international tech sites don't have solutions that can help me locally. But now I see there is a threshold to comment on certain things, or engage in certain topics on this platform.

Excuse me for asking, but why is it that I need to post a certain amount of times in order for me to get permission for other parts of the forums? I read on a few of these hut the answer were vague to say the list

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
Basically so the damage spammers and spambots do is reduced. That is my guess.

GeorgeAF

Basically so the damage spammers and spambots do is reduced. That is my guess.
If I may ask then, is the level of progression to other privileges here automated or is it manual upgrade by a certain person within myBB?

GeorgeAF

I also wanted to comment today on something and had the same issue....
I see your profile also has the "member" title like mine. We are in for a ride until we can get to comment. I also saw the classifieds actually has some bang for buck sweet deals but in our case, we will have to wait a bit longer until we get the "privileges" to participate

chrisc

Executive Member
There must be terms and conditions somewhere to read

On the SA AV Forum you cannot post in the sales section unless you have a reasonable post count.

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
If I may ask then, is the level of progression to other privileges here automated or is it manual upgrade by a certain person within myBB?
It is automated. Most sites are. By contributing to the site you become "trusted". So the more you contribute - the more they believe you are a human not intending to do anything wrong. The logic is flawed though but it all they can really do. If you abuse that "trust", then a human deals with you.

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
I see your profile also has the "member" title like mine. We are in for a ride until we can get to comment. I also saw the classifieds actually has some bang for buck sweet deals but in our case, we will have to wait a bit longer until we get the "privileges" to participate
I think I remember reading that you need 50 posts, but I could be wrong

GeorgeAF

There must be terms and conditions somewhere to read

On the SA AV Forum you cannot post in the sales section unless you have a reasonable post count.
I have seen that on the sales section, which I kinda understand since it's more on the trust side of things. But commenting on current issues shouldnt be this much of a stretch

chrisc

Executive Member
A bit more BS and you'll soon be up there...

The AVForum sales is very busy and you can also "rate" the buyer or seller. I find that very useful and it makes people behave themselves and not advertise junk

I have both bought and sold stuff here too, including cars

GeorgeAF

It is automated. Most sites are. By contributing to the site you become "trusted". So the more you contribute - the more they believe you are a human not intending to do anything wrong. The logic is flawed though but it all they can really do. If you abuse that "trust", then a human deals with you.
Thank you so much for your insight. It doesn't hurt to ask when you are uncertain. I am glad I did.

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
I have taken notice of the 30 posts for a minimum of a month thing. but they don't really have an explanation of why they wanted that. Hence why I asked.
Ah - but they don't have to. But I think you will find it is to do with spammers etc.

GeorgeAF

Ah - but they don't have to. But I think you will find it is to do with spammers etc.
They have unnecessary rules but I guess it's just a matter of abiding to them. It's not like I am spoilt with options. But so far y'all are receptive and I don't mind this waiting anymore. At least it's gonna be worth it since I will be interacting with cool people like you guys here

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
They have unnecessary rules but I guess it's just a matter of abiding to them. It's not like I am spoilt with options. But so far y'all are receptive and I don't mind this waiting anymore. At least it's gonna be worth it since I will be interacting with cool people like you guys here
Now that is the way to butter up other posters :D And look - you are nearly there