• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Insurance 3rd party claim

Mvu

Good day everyone

Need some advice. Someone rammed into my car on Saturday night. We did the AR and I have the details. Now apparently he needs to register the claim on his insurance if I want to go 3rd party. Or else i can do the quotations and ask my lawyers to persuit him. I am getting frustrated now. The guy hasnt registered the claim as agreed.

Any advice? I am trying to avoid claiming from my insurance because even if I go that route I still need his insurance claim number if I want to recover my access. Or else I just cut my losses and fix my car. :twisted:

namzsteve

Expert Member
Good day everyone

Need some advice. Someone rammed into my car on Saturday night. We did the AR and I have the details. Now apparently he needs to register the claim on his insurance if I want to go 3rd party. Or else i can do the quotations and ask my lawyers to persuit him. I am getting frustrated now. The guy hasnt registered the claim as agreed.

Any advice? I am trying to avoid claiming from my insurance because even if I go that route I still need his insurance claim number if I want to recover my access. Or else I just cut my losses and fix my car. :twisted:
Never, hunt the fool down. He rammed your car not the other way round.

Sorry man.

R13...

Honorary Master
You don't need his claim number to claim from your insurance. Your insurance will try to recover the costs from him regardless. May not succeed unfortunately, but it's the best way forward.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Go through your own insurance, give his details say what happened, give the police case number and let them sort it out. This is why you pay for insurance, if it's third party it shouldn't affect your no claim bonus.

mic_y

Expert Member
Good day everyone

You have 3 options here:
1. Wait for him to process his claim and then harass his 3rd party insurance to get your part of the claim pushed through. This will most likely take in the region of 3 months as his insurance has ZERO motivation to actually pay out.

2. Claim from your insurance. This will incur the cost of excess and losing your no-claim bonus (if you have one). You or your insurance may then attempt to claim the excess paid back. This will be time consuming and a pain in the ass.

3. Fix the car. This will return a working vehicle to you ASAP

Cr419

Executive Member
Go through your own insurance, give his details say what happened, give the police case number and let them sort it out. This is why you pay for insurance, if it's third party it shouldn't affect your no claim bonus.
Do this. People are arseholes. Claim from your own policy, that's what you have it for. They will claim your excess back from him. In my case that took a bit more than 2 months. Less hassle.

Mvu

You have 3 options here:
1. Wait for him to process his claim and then harass his 3rd party insurance to get your part of the claim pushed through. This will most likely take in the region of 3 months as his insurance has ZERO motivation to actually pay out.

2. Claim from your insurance. This will incur the cost of excess and losing your no-claim bonus (if you have one). You or your insurance may then attempt to claim the excess paid back. This will be time consuming and a pain in the ass.

3. Fix the car. This will return a working vehicle to you ASAP
My other issue is the no claim bonus.
I will ask my insurance whether they can contact his insurance.

I really shouldn't be the one stressing

Ecko_1

i'll concur with a few here. Use your own insurance and let them fight it.

Wife was in accident in March. Guilty party filled out AR with my wife and each submitted own claims. We were refunded our full excess a month ago. Insurance recovered full cost.

Also had it the other way in the past. Someone else rear ended my wifes car. Battled to get a 3rd party claim with the other insurer, and eventually all fell down because the other guy withdrew his claim. Insurer said that as he has not put a claim the insurance is no longer a party to the accident. Only way would have been to pursue in court.

Venomous

Honorary Master
And as an FYI

Even if you don't claim from your insurance you need to inform them of this damage/repair or they could reject future claims.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

Don't even bother discussing it with your insurance.. Just lodge the claim and let them fight it out...

If you have the other guys insurance details just provide them to speed up the process.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Well, thats what you get for going "to claims bonus" insurers, stress. They offload some of their stress onto you, thus now you stress about it. Don't want the stress? Then don't go with them or ignore the no claims bonus, if you do go with them.

RedViking

Honorary Master
Insurance is there so you can claim. Hand it over to them so they can do their job. Why bother with 'no claim' rubbish. If you want to safe money, don't have insurance then.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Nothing to stress about.
Hand over all the details to your insurance and let them do their job.

Nithan15

Expert Member
Exactly what everyone said here, I had an incident and gave all the details to my insurer and they arranged everything no hassles at all.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Unfortunately unless you are with the same insurance company, not even your own insurance will be able to claim back from the 3rd party's insurance unless the 3rd party registers a claim with their own insurance. Reason the gave me is that only the policy owner can open a claim on the policy, and unless there is an open claim then they won't pay, feedback loop- they won't pay because there's no open claim.

Billy

Expert Member
This is the sensible route. I have had two claims in the past 4 years both from people ramming into my car. Both times the Insurance Company handled it and I paid nothing and did not lose my No Claims.

cueball

Went through this. A guy who lived up the the road from me randomly drove through my garage door and hit the car inside. Still not clear on what was up with him, he seemed really out of it but according to neighbours of his the guy is a straight arrow, never drinks, etc.

Anyway... I asked my broker, she said best is that I claim from my own insurance and their legal team would attempt to reclaim my excess as it is quite clearly no fault of mine.

I didn't think anything would come of it, but about a month ago I randomly received notice of a deposit into my bank account. After nearly a year they had managed to get his insurer to cover my excess payment.

My broker did mention that blame apportionment is not always that clear, e.g. an accident which occurs while both parties are moving, but they do evaluate incidents and fight on your behalf.