Interesting trends revealed in South African mobile speed tests

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
These figures are surely unreliable when so many other variables could be responsible for network speeds in different areas?

Ah, I see they admit as much:

It should be noted that this network performance comparison only compares radio access vendors.

The overall network performance can also be influenced by core network architecture, backhaul capacity, network optimisation, and other factors.

quovadis

Executive Member
Now time to correlate the average weather conditions for an area and write another article.

Mier

Expert Member
Nonsense article.

It creates the impression that one vendor is superior to the other, while in reality Network Operator capex, strategy, spectrum and site density plays a dominant role in how a network performs.
Vendors develop their equipment according to international standards and will perform very similarly, all things being equal.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Nonsense article.

It creates the impression that one vendor is superior to the other, while in reality Network Operator capex, strategy, spectrum and site density plays a dominant role in how a network performs.
Vendors develop their equipment according to international standards and will perform very similarly, all things being equal.
This ^^

Its all to do with various factors, the network configuration, noise levels, site saturations, etc.. too many things. Its not the bloody network equipment. All of these things are designed to interoperate with a set of published standards or specs.

Joseph matane

Good article ever since I found this website I have learned a lot about broadband which made me to research more good work guys keep such inform coming like how many towers on each network support 4x4 mimo and 8x8 mimo roll out plan I know 256 QAM is reality now on almost all LTE and LTE-A sites and most of those sites has fibre backbone which will make more advanced user thoughput internet speed possible like 100mbps down and 50mbps 15ms in small town villages

entrepr

Expert Member
For one thing, Western Cape seems to fare worse than Gauteng. Are the speedtest servers in Isando or are there additional servers down in Westerford?