International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 2

Arthur

Honorary Master
Shed a crocodile tear for Scotland's Chief Medical Officer and Top Coronavirus Medico, Madam Doctor Catherine Jane Calderwood, caught breaking the lockdown rules she herself promulgated.

Resigned. Under pressure.

I'm not a fan of trashy tabloids, but in this case The Sun did us hoi polloi a favour by exposing the hypocrisy of Dx Rx Mx Calderwood, sneaking off to her second home in the country while excoriating the common riff-raff for doing the same to relieve the rigors of shutdown.

This catastrophe does have some moments of relief, even if only schadenfreude.

Last edited:

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Shed a crocodile tear for Scotland's Chief Medical Officer and Top Coronavirus Medico, Madam Doctor Catherine Jane Calderwood, caught breaking the lockdown rules she herself promulgated.

I'm not a fan of trashy tabloids, but in this case The Sun did us hoi polloi a favour by exposing the hypocrisy of Mx Calderwood, sneaking off to her second home in the country while excoriating the common riff-raff for doing the same to avoid the rigors of shutdown.
I read the story earlier, but my interpretation is 180 degrees the opposite. A valuable public servant hounded out of her job, in the name of public shaming:

Arthur

Honorary Master
I read the story earlier, but my interpretation is 180 degrees the opposite. A valuable public servant hounded out of her job, in the name of public shaming:
Even in these twilight moments of what little remains of civilisation, it's gratifying to see just one of Our Noble Elites hoisted by her own petard. She wanted lockdown and had specifically scolded those who went to second homes, but exempted herself.

This isn't a case of social shaming, but of hypocrisy exposed.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master

I'm not a fan of trashy tabloids, but in this case The Sun did us hoi polloi a favour by exposing the hypocrisy of Mx Calderwood, sneaking off to her second home in the country while excoriating the common riff-raff for doing the same.
And she was forced to resign / resigned.

A rarity in these days where blatant hypocrisy is supported, doubled down on, or ignored.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
I think it was straightforward. She didn't abide by the rules yet wanted everyone else to. She had to go.

May be a loss, but she dug her own grave... metaphorically, of course

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
I think it was straightforward. She didn't abide by the rules yet wanted everyone else to. She had to go.

May be a loss, but she dug her own grave... metaphorically, of course
Oh wouldn't it be lovely if the politicians in SA followed the same principle. Marching around, giving orders, appearing at press conferences, etc.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

Resigned. Under pressure.

I'm not a fan of trashy tabloids, but in this case The Sun did us hoi polloi a favour by exposing the hypocrisy of Dx Rx Mx Calderwood, sneaking off to her second home in the country while excoriating the common riff-raff for doing the same to relieve the rigors of shutdown.

This catastrophe does have some moments of relief, even if only schadenfreude.
Heh heh. Harm from pleasure, (which I could work out) which means getting pleasure out of someone else's misery which I looked up, and the English word is actually "epicaricacy", which means pleasure from the misfortunes of others. But there is a real pleasurable ring about the German word that just does not come through with the English word.

And the Afrikaans equivalent? The only thing I could find was "lekkerkry" but that does not do it. Then I remembered the phrase: "Ag ag hoe lekker kry ek nou" which seems to fit. :laugh: :D

@Arthur at his best! :cool:

Oldfut

She should rather have been demoted to be a nurse on the "front line". Ditto with our motley crew.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
UK mobile carriers politely ask people to stop burning 5G towers

The top four UK mobile operators have issued a joint statement asking for help to stop people burning 5G towers. Multiple cell towers were targeted in the UK last week in apparent arson attacks, after online conspiracy theories have been falsely linking the spread of the coronavirus pandemic to the roll out of 5G. There’s no scientific evidence to suggest a link, but the theories have been spreading widely on social networks like Facebook and Nextdoor.

Brian_G

Expert Member
Where there's smoke, there's fire...? :X3:

...but the theories have been spreading widely on social networks like Facebook and Nextdoor.
WTF is Nextdoor now??

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Sad note:

The UK government has admitted that none of the 17.5m antibody tests it ordered in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic work well enough to be used. Ministers had high hopes that the arrival of the tests would give a much clearer picture about how many people had been infected by Covid-19, paving the way for an eventual easing of lockdown restrictions. The failure of the tests is a significant setback and suggests Britain may be further away from being able to launch an effective programme of mass testing. The government is working with nine companies that have developed coronavirus antibody tests, which screen for whether someone has recovered from the disease and is likely to be immune. The tests are being assessed by researchers at Oxford university — but each one has so far proven unreliable.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Where there's smoke, there's fire...? :X3:

WTF is Nextdoor now??
Social Gumtree if you may, like Carbonite for your community.

EDIT:

Nope. A moment later they show up as suggested friend's on Facebook forcing Birch videos into your face :eek: