International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 2

buka001

Executive Member
I am curious about the Chain of Command in the UK. I know Raab is now deputised, but is there a formal process of who is deputy if the PM is incapacitated?

I mean they would have had contingencies like this for the Cold War?

What happens to Nuclear launch authority etc?

Just curious, that is all.

McT

The Humble Scot!
No, i think the stats are grim if you are put on a respirator.
Yep, and if there are underlying health issues that could complicate things, e.g. hypertension, lung related disease, etc.

May he get well soon. It will be good for public morale to see his feistiness back in full swing.

Dave

Honorary Master
I am curious about the Chain of Command in the UK. I know Raab is now deputised, but is there a formal process of who is deputy if the PM is incapacitated?

Just curious, that is all.
Raab was already designated as deputy by virtue of being appointed as First Secretary of State.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
For the moment, if BoJo has to be intubated and put on a ventilator, then Raab is acting Prime Minister. For how long depends on BoJo's recovery.

If, say, BoJo dies, then a chain of events is set off. Raab is now Acting PM and reports directly to Parliament and the Queen. With the sitting PM now deceased, an emergency sitting of Parliament needs to be held to decide on when to hold an election to vote in a new PM. If elections are held early to avoid a situation where Raab spends more than 100 days in office, then Raab goes to the Queen to get her to dissolve parliament. Then new elections are held, and things move on from there.

Raab has few actual powers compared to BoJo. In fact, several ministers have powers that not even BoJo has, by design, to avoid a concentration of power in government. Nuclear capability is not actually something BoJo can just do. He would have to call a secret sitting of parliament to discuss it and get their approval.

Dave

Honorary Master
f, say, BoJo dies, then a chain of events is set off. Raab is now Acting PM and reports directly to Parliament and the Queen. With the sitting PM now deceased, an emergency sitting of Parliament needs to be held to decide on when to hold an election to vote in a new PM. If elections are held early to avoid a situation where Raab spends more than 100 days in office, then Raab goes to the Queen to get her to dissolve parliament. Then new elections are held, and things move on from there.
Incorrect, there is no need for an election, the Conservative Party will need to elect a new leader and he/she then becomes PM.

The UK does not vote for a PM.

Raab has few actual powers compared to BoJo. In fact, several ministers have powers that not even BoJo has, by design, to avoid a concentration of power in government. Nuclear capability is not actually something BoJo can just do. He would have to call a secret sitting of parliament to discuss it and get their approval.
The PM is also solely responsible for ordering a nuclear strike.

Last edited:

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
The happy clappy Americans are going all out to f**k their country.

Hundreds of worshippers, about half of them black and half white, converged on the church, many arriving in 26 buses sent to pick them up.
*sigh*

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Several hospitals in Sweden have reportedly stopped administering chloroquine to coronavirus patients following reports the drug was causing adverse side effects.

According to the national paper Expressen, hospitals in the Västra Götaland region are no longer offering the antimalarial medication, with side effects reported to include cramps and the loss of peripheral vision.
Gee, guess there is something people can lose, Donnie.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

MiW

Expert Member
30331 new cases and 1255 new deaths in the United States

An estimated additional 180 - 195 deaths per day occurring at home in New York City due to COVID-19 are not being counted in the official figures.

krycor

Honorary Master
30331 new cases and 1255 new deaths in the United States

An estimated additional 180 - 195 deaths per day occurring at home in New York City due to COVID-19 are not being counted in the official figures.
Was gonna report the numbers.. this after they self congratulated themselves for reductions the previous day.

This week is gonna be brutal..