International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 2

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I am curious about the Chain of Command in the UK. I know Raab is now deputised, but is there a formal process of who is deputy if the PM is incapacitated?

I mean they would have had contingencies like this for the Cold War?

What happens to Nuclear launch authority etc?

Just curious, that is all.
Isn't QE II CIC of the armed forces?

theratman

Executive Member
Was gonna report the numbers.. this after they self congratulated themselves for reductions the previous day.

This week is gonna be brutal..
I don't get the attitude. Congratulate yourself when it's under control, comes across as heavy spinning otherwise.

Unhappy438

Honorary Master

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
View attachment 813963

Daily new deaths: • US has averaged 1,000 deaths per day over the last week • Daily deaths in Italy & Spain peaked around 23-24 days after lockdown • Suggests UK could peak in 7-10 days

Most countries peak 18-24 days after the start of self-isolation or lockdown. Its not rocket-science, simply the incubation period followed by the average hospital stay preceding death.

N.B. The FT does not have a chart for South Africa, because we do not meet their criteria of 3 daily deaths! Sometimes there is good news hidden in the data...

Last edited:

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Over 8000 recoveries in Germany compared to the day before. That's very impressive and probably a record - confirms, as has been suggested, that Germany has a lot of cases due to them picking up many marginal cases, not just the severe ones, which is further confirmed by the low number of deaths (although there is dispute about this regarding how Germany records deaths). Nevertheless, a very impressive achievement and the only country with over 100k cases where corona never veered out of control.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Most countries peak 18-24 days after the start of self-isolation or lockdown. Its not rocket-science, simply the incubation period followed by the average hospital stay preceding death.

N.B. The FT does not have a chart for South Africa, because we do not meet their criteria of 3 daily deaths! Sometimes there is good news hidden in the data...
Haha, I was wondering when (if?) we would make an appearance...

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Even in these twilight moments of what little remains of civilisation, it's gratifying to see just one of Our Noble Elites hoisted by her own petard. She wanted lockdown and had specifically scolded those who went to second homes, but exempted herself.

This isn't a case of social shaming, but of hypocrisy exposed.
Like boozehound Cele wanting us to all be on the wagon.

cenredash

Expert Member
Can somebody please help me make sense of this article?

They give four options, post the 21 day lockdown.
1. Open it up — likelihood ±5%
2. Keep it shut (extend the lockdown) — likelihood ±50%
3. Open the country up for a bit, then shut it again in 1-2 weeks — likelihood ±15%
4: Phase out some restrictions, but be ready to return to full lockdown — likelihood ±30%

However, the first sentence under 4 states:
"This is the other most plausible option. "

What are they basing the percentages on, if not plausability? Which would mean it is 2? Or am I misunderstanding the article.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Can somebody please help me make sense of this article?

3. Open the country up for a bit, then shut it again in 1-2 weeks — likelihood ±15%
4: Phase out some restrictions, but be ready to return to full lockdown — likelihood ±30%

What are they basing the percentages on, if not plausability? Which would mean it is 2? Or am I misunderstanding the article.
Useful discussion article, but the decision making process is going to be a mess. By comparison, imposing the lockdown was relatively easy. Lifting it will be harder.

The Voice

Executive Member
And then there are countries with 'zero' cases of Covid (or HIV). Borat would be proud! See:
"The Central Asian country claims it still has zero coronavirus cases. But can we trust the figures provided by a government renowned for censorship?

"Official health statistics from Turkmenistan are notoriously unreliable," said Professor Martin McKee from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, who has studied the Turkmen healthcare system."

One has to wonder what the actual infection/death rate around the world really is.

Arthur

Honorary Master
And the account has been suspended!
Watch this video from a frontline doctor in New York daily treating Covid-19 patients. What he is seeing ties in with the unnamed, uncredentialled and unreferenced piece I posted earlier.

He sees not conventional ARDS and pneumonia but symptoms consistent with hypoxia.

It's urgent that we get to the bottom of this.

If crap, it should be dismissed and ignored, maybe even shut down.

But if there's truth we haven't yet seen, it could be very significant.

What we can't do is have political and ideological blinkers dismiss it out of hand. This is a scientific and biomedical issue, and those should be the only criteria.

Last edited:

dualmeister

Honorary Master
LOL.

Americans grappling with the rapidly-spreading coronavirus purchased more guns last month than at any other point since the FBI began collecting data over 20 years ago.

According to US media, the FBI data indicates that over two million guns were purchased in March alone.

BBC News - How the coronavirus led to the highest-ever spike in US gun sales

reactor_sa

Executive Member
LOL.

Americans grappling with the rapidly-spreading coronavirus purchased more guns last month than at any other point since the FBI began collecting data over 20 years ago.

According to US media, the FBI data indicates that over two million guns were purchased in March alone.

BBC News - How the coronavirus led to the highest-ever spike in US gun sales
Merica just heard Coronachan is coming for them and people are dying, they wanna defend themselves
Guess it was better than nothing, obviously Walmart was out of ventilators.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member

They are basing those stats on previous studies done on the effectiveness of a lockdown in past pandemics. For example:

spanish flu US cities.png

Shorter lockdowns did not tangibly help with reducing a spike in hospitalisations and deaths. Lockdowns with a brief interval fared better. Longer lockdowns resulted in a lower death rate.

Timing is everything.

Watch this video from a frontline doctor in New York daily treating Covid-19 patients. What he is seeing ties in with the unnamed, uncredentialled and unreferenced piece I posted earlier.

He sees not conventional ARDS and pneumonia but symptoms consistent with hypoxia.

It's urgent that we get to the bottom of this.
To be fair, the guidebook issued by a Chinese academic hospital with details on how to combat the virus and how to treat patients mentions that low oxygen count is an early indicator of respiratory distress in a patient. Hypoxia is a known symptom (which is why an early symptom is headache and/or lethargy), but at the point where someone is in ICU they're dangerously close to their pulmonary system getting overwhelmed.