International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 2

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
A study by the South China University of Technology concluded that Covid-19 'probably' originated in the Centre for Disease Control – although shortly after its publication, the research paper was removed from a social networking site for scientists and researchers
The Bubonic plague came from China as well. :unsure:

Temujin

Executive Member

Puppet of the Chinese Communist Party. Communism is based on lies and deception.
My biggest issue with WHO is their do not panic, we've investigated and no human to human transfer bs they were spinning mid to end jan. How many countries were getting first cases and breathed a sign of relief and backed off preparations, screening etc as there was nothing to worry about, only way to be infected was at market in wuhan. Just shows they conducted 0 investigations, they just peddled whatever bs the commies were feeding them... WHO needs to be investigated for all this bs

Sensorei

Executive Member
Compared to ARDS' seen with severe seasonal flu related pneumonia, COVID-19 ARDS causes your immune system to switch from only attacking the infection, to destroying the entire infected area including healthy lung cells. So your body is attacking itself. In this panic state immune response your white blood cells cause a toxic amount of inflammatory cytokines to leak into the lungs and other organs like the kidneys and heart, and can lead to organ failure.

Good interview by a NYC Surgeon interviewing a Virologist about the virus:

Arthur

Honorary Master
My original link is dicey. And there's clearly a move afoot to censor it or shut down its heterodox view, probably for political reasons, because the ramifications are explosive...

Here's another location:

@Sinbad. This is the sort of detail Geoff has in mind, though the unknown author dumbs it down for us laymen.
I've finally managed to track down the author, one Andrew Gaiziunas, son of a retired Illinois doctor by the same name. After the takedown on Medium he came out on SmallDeadAnimals, here (a Canadian blog site I'd never heard of before now). The comments, as always, are interesting.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
So apparently New Zealand that also went into lockdown about 10 days ago is squashing the curve. Yet they are still allowed smokes and to walk and bike around their neighbourhood.
So if they are managing to squash the curve why is it impossible that we've done the same?
You are allowed to take a hour long driving distance away from your residence in New Zealand. It is reasonable in my opinion.

It is more a case of exercising obedience which is difficult in our country as already proven. Same rules for everyone.

Lupus

Honorary Master
You are allowed to take a hour long driving distance away from your residence in New Zealand. It is reasonable in my opinion.

It is more a case of exercising obedience which is difficult in our country as already proven. Same rules for everyone.
True when a minister just breaks it, this is just going to cause more people to break the rules now.

Brian_G

Expert Member
With all the viva-it's-free and spoilt brats attitudes in this country we need it to be stricter than most other places. But, wrong people seeing to it, and they being strict for the wrong reasons (or so we mostly believe).
So I guess this will be another fail. But if the figures are anything near reality it seems that may not matter, whatever the still unknown reason for all of that currently hopeful news.

Personally getting tired of the subject now...... :sleep:

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
France needs help...desperately. They must currently have the highest per capita death rate at the moment...

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
France needs help...desperately. They must currently have the highest per capita death rate at the moment...
Link posted earlier:
In total, 8,911 people have died there, and the number of confirmed cases is almost at 100,000.

On Tuesday, Health Minister Olivier Véran said the outbreak had yet to reach its peak, telling broadcaster BFMTV, "We are still in a worsening phase of the epidemic."
Already in lockdown:
France has been under strict lockdown measures for almost a month. Anyone who goes outside is required to carry a document stating their reason for leaving home: shopping for necessities, visiting a doctor, or exercise within 1km (half a mile) of their address.
Mixed numbers:
There have been positive signs that the outbreak may be slowing. Monday's figures from the French health ministry showed only a small rise of people who need intensive care treatment.

But there have also been concerns about the situation in French care homes. Until recently, reported deaths from the virus only included those who died in hospitals, and not elsewhere.

Mr Véran on Monday announced there would be a "vast operation" nationwide to screen nursing homes, their residents and their careworkers, in a bid to tackle the crisis there.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Good to see some 3D plots! A lot of 2D charts don't show the complex correlation between underlying factors.

Edit: Time factors are often absent (as in this case), or misinterpreted.

Edit: The data for Spain and Italy are not labelled, but probably the two dots in the top RH corner. Note the high percentages (low testing) in those two countries.

Edit: The data points should be adjusted per million population. Would make the chart a lot neater.

Displaying complex data visually is hard. Most popular media can't get beyond pie-charts and bar-graphs...

Some useful background reading, on what we are mostly lacking: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_visualization

Last edited:

Mirai

Good to see some 3D plots. A lot of 2D charts don't show any correlation between underlying factors.

Displaying complex data visually is hard. Most popular media can't get beyond pie-charts and bar-graphs...

Some useful background reading, on what we are mostly lacking: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_visualization
We're not missing anything. We're not the ones making decisions. ;-)

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
We're not missing anything. We're not the ones making decisions. ;-)
It helps if people understand WHY decisions are being made.

And it would make this sub-forum a lot shorter, instead of asking X,Y,Z repeatedly over and over.

krycor

Honorary Master

Giving people an inch never works.. always take it all. EU, UK, US and ZA have this in common with a large enough % of populous to make it problematic as seen elsewhere too.

People disobey traffic rules.. imagine my surprise when spouse told me that she saw people loitering at store(she did restock .. tho we trying to avg every 2weeks.. hard when stores limit 2 per item).

Nzl is an outlier in this respect but I dunno I suspect they will tighten up fast if it isn’t under control. Reality is that they have a small populous and an island x2 which is easily isolated. I reckon the SA crowd will likely be bitching about it there and disobeying rules as is the norm.. the avg Nzl citizen tho is law abiding (they do have drinking issues as is here tho).

Mirai

It helps if people understand WHY decisions are being made.

And it would make this sub-forum a lot shorter, instead of asking X,Y,Z repeatedly over and over.
I doubt it. Because even experts disagree.