International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 2

Lupus

Honorary Master
I saw that in 2015 or something, it's not new.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
1589357003111.png

UK doing a bit better than its European contemporaries for now.

(Although to be fair the lockdown started a few weeks later for the UK than many other European countries)

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Another country climbing up the league table, with a large number of untested cases, and early exposure to the epidemic:
It registered 881 new deaths on Tuesday, the health ministry said. The total death toll now stands at 12,400.

It means Brazil, which is at the centre of the Latin American outbreak, is now the sixth worst affected country in terms of recorded deaths.

And experts say the real figure may be far higher due to a lack of testing in the country.
"Brazil is only testing people who end up in the hospital," Domingo Alves from the University of Säo Paulo Medical School told AFP news agency.

"It's hard to know what's really happening based on the available data," he said. "We don't have a real policy to manage the outbreak."

Mr Alves is one of the authors of a study that estimated the real number of infections was 15 times higher than the official figure.
The number of confirmed cases in the country currently stands at 177,589, officials say. It rose by more than 9,000 on Tuesday and overtook Germany's tally of 170,000.

Brazil's total is second only to the US in the Western Hemisphere. The World Health Organization (WHO) says the Americas are currently at the centre of the pandemic.
Scientists at the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation said that molecular tests suggested one patient who died in Rio de Janeiro between 19 and 25 January had Covid-19.

The scientists also said their research suggested the virus was being spread from person to person in Brazil in early February - weeks before the country's popular carnival street parties kicked off.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Yeah SA has done almost double the number of tests on a per capita basis according to World-o-meter. Brazil is a good comparator country to SA. They have quite a crazy president though who has encouraged civil disorder and the like and seems to not really think the novel corona virus is that serious.

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
France is for all practical purposes now back in business. I went to the Dentist today, he told me that the last few weeks did hurt financially, but it just postponed his appointments. He is fully booked for the next few months.

Hopefully many people are going that way.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Ja there are some things that still will have to be attended to and will happen. IF you are in one of those professions or industries, then all that happened was a temporary cash-flow problem.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
High profile (and young) Japanese victim:
According to a report by Yomiuri News, around 1,000 members of the JSA will have to undergo a virus antibody test - the first large-scale testing event to be held in the Japanese sporting world.

Last month, the JSA announced that a stablemaster and five other sumo wrestlers had tested positive for the virus.

MiW

Expert Member
Mexico also.
Will be interesting to see how Brazil will progress, without a centralized lock down... will it be the same month or two to pass the peak ( depend on the time you start counting) , or will it be worse than Ita, Sp, UK...

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Will be interesting to see how Brazil will progress, without a centralized lock down... will it be the same month or two to pass the peak ( depend on the time you start counting) , or will it be worse than Ita, Sp, UK...
By the time half of your neighbours are sick, and several relatives have died, basic survival instincts kick in! People are not stupid, and can make up their own minds. You don't need a government to tell you to wear a mask and wash your hands.

Anyway Brazil's state governors are independently imposing their own restrictions. Every country will muddle through this pandemic in their own way...

MiW

Expert Member
Coolio Carl Justin John Morgan was born on 2 May at the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend, but died three days later in Swansea.
The primary cause of death was listed as severe hypoxic ischaemic encephalopathy, meaning the brain is starved of blood and oxygen.
Maternal Covid-19 was listed as a secondary cause.

Sad, but I suspect his name could be the secondary case (if babies can understand their names)

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Interesting first-person account from one of the world's most experienced virologists:
I tested positive for COVID-19, as I suspected. I put myself in isolation in the guest room at home. But the fever didn’t go away. I had never been seriously ill and have not taken a day of sick leave the past 10 years. I live a pretty healthy life and walk regularly. The only risk factor for corona is my age—I’m 71. I’m an optimist, so I thought it would pass. But on 1 April, a doctor friend advised me to get a thorough examination because the fever and especially the exhaustion were getting worse and worse.

It turned out I had severe oxygen deficiency, although I still wasn’t short of breath. Lung images showed I had severe pneumonia, typical of COVID-19, as well as bacterial pneumonia. I constantly felt exhausted, while normally I’m always buzzing with energy. It wasn’t just fatigue, but complete exhaustion; I’ll never forget that feeling. I had to be hospitalized, although I tested negative for the virus in the meantime. This is also typical for COVID-19: The virus disappears, but its consequences linger for weeks.
I was concerned I would be put on a ventilator immediately because I had seen publications showing it increases your chance of dying. I was pretty scared, but fortunately, they just gave me an oxygen mask first and that turned out to work. So, I ended up in an isolation room in the antechamber of the intensive care department. You’re tired, so you’re resigned to your fate. You completely surrender to the nursing staff. You live in a routine from syringe to infusion and you hope you make it. I am usually quite proactive in the way I operate, but here I was 100% patient.
One week after I was discharged, I became increasingly short of breath. I had to go to the hospital again, but fortunately, I could be treated on an outpatient basis. I turned out to have an organizing pneumonia-induced lung disease, caused by a so-called cytokine storm. It’s a result of your immune defense going into overdrive. Many people do not die from the tissue damage caused by the virus, but from the exaggerated response of their immune system, which doesn’t know what to do with the virus. I’m still under treatment for that, with high doses of corticosteroids that slow down the immune system. If I had had that storm along with the symptoms of the viral outbreak in my body, I wouldn’t have survived. I had atrial fibrillation, with my heart rate going up to 170 beats per minute; that also needs to be controlled with therapy, particularly to prevent blood clotting events, including stroke. This is an underestimated ability of the virus: It can probably affect all the organs in our body.
Many people think COVID-19 kills 1% of patients, and the rest get away with some flulike symptoms. But the story gets more complicated. Many people will be left with chronic kidney and heart problems. Even their neural system is disrupted. There will be hundreds of thousands of people worldwide, possibly more, who will need treatments such as renal dialysis for the rest of their lives. The more we learn about the coronavirus, the more questions arise. We are learning while we are sailing. That’s why I get so annoyed by the many commentators on the sidelines who, without much insight, criticize the scientists and policymakers trying hard to get the epidemic under control. That’s very unfair.

Cage Rattler

"Been in Spain!!!
On the 10th all regulations removed.
No-one has left their house.
Only two restaurants open on the beach. The rest out of business.
Yesterday, a restaurant closed early because of no customers.
Police came. Made them re-open.
Welcome to the new world." - John McAfee