International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 2

tetrasect

There's your bias right there - you don't believe it's provable but then call it patently false... not interested in your approach or attempts to justify.
Social distancing was not and will never have been invented in 2020 by a 14 year old girl, and saying it was is patently false. That's a fact. There was social distancing throughout history. During the Spanish flu they had lockdowns with closure of schools, masks and social distancing much like today.
I really don't understand what you are trying to say here.

Lupus

Honorary Master
You really think so. Despite the comparatively "massively" low averaged worldwide mortality rate after nearly half a year?

("Massively" is a MyBB catch-term.)
It would be 6 months if you look at it from December.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Ditto. I have no idea who the presenter is or what his business is. The link was posted on another forum's chat and I actually watched.

It's a pretty fair summary of what we know about this disease, in my view.
What I think we need to do is take each of his 10 points and go through them one by one, checking his facts and his links and then judge. Some of the points he makes are a bit thin, but most of them are worth looking into.

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
That video is absolute garbage. This guy is being purposefully misleading and is outright lying.
I just skipped to a random place in the video and he is saying that Sweden has achieved herd immunity!? (you can see his eyes shift when he is telling this obvious lie).
Skipped forward a bit and he says that social distancing is unscientific and was "invented" by a 14 year old girl who did a computer simulation about it. What a load of crap!

Not even gonna waste any more time on this video, it's very easy to see this is verifiably false information.
A classic example of selective out of context access to information. You should be ashamed of yourself because this single post is destroying quite a bit of credibility you have earned on this forum.

Brian_G

Expert Member
@tetrasect , the point in that instance may be (notice I'm not saying "definitely is") that a girl had such an influence in the modern usage of the concept, or term.
I do understand you're just trying to weed out the rubbish.

Anyway, what @Geoff.D has just suggested makes enough sense for all of us.

Verde

Expert Member
You really think so. Despite the comparatively "massively" low averaged worldwide mortality rate after nearly half a year?

("Massively" is a MyBB catch-term.)
I do think the surviving geriatrics in Bergamo are on a good wicket.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Of course "herd immunity" is not too bad either. Makes us sound like cows. Or sheep. The herd of sheeple grazing in the pasture of corona waiting for the immunity dip.
Herd immunity is a concept or term that has a very specific definition.

herd immunity

noun
noun: herd immunity; plural noun: herd immunities
  1. the resistance to the spread of a contagious disease within a population that results if a sufficiently high proportion of individuals are immune to the disease, especially through vaccination.
    "the level of vaccination needed to achieve herd immunity varies by disease"
Here is one reference that does a fairly good job of describing why the concept is pretty useless in relation to Covid 19 id describing why the disease appears to have subsided in some countries.

Herd immunity without a vaccine is by definition not a preventative measure.

Herd immunity is an epidemiological concept that describes the state where a population – usually of people – is sufficiently immune to a disease that the infection will not spread within that group. In other words, enough people can't get the disease – either through vaccination or natural immunity – that the people who are vulnerable are protected.
That, of course, won't stop journalists and others, even scientists using the term when it suits their arguments or arguing against others' arguments.

Last edited:

tetrasect

A classic example of selective out of context access to information. You should be ashamed of yourself because this single post is destroying quite a bit of credibility you have earned on this forum.
Sorry but how exactly would you put "sweden has reached herd immunity" into context?

I watched just a random small portion of that video and saw the guy spreading lies and misinformation.
I really don't need more of a reason to stop watching.
I don't see how dismissing his rant as a good source of information destroys my credibility.

EDIT: Perhaps on a different day I would have gone through the whole video to debunk or confirm each point and statement but I'm just not up to it today, sorry if that upsets you.

Last edited:

Brian_G

Expert Member
I do think the surviving geriatrics in Bergamo are on a good wicket.
The old aged are certainly going to need more careful care. Without it ruining their social rights though.

A question - what do we all consider the age where some isolation may be wise / recommended?
My vote would be 75 for the healthy-enough, and those with serious-ish illness who can be mobile should maybe reconsider if around 65 to 70.
(I'm going to be 58, so perhaps pushing the figures forward a bit :sneaky: )

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Just wait. The next two weeks will be critical.
And then there will be another 2 weeks. especially while the politicians try and justify why it was necessary to prevent the sale of "adult underwear or flip-flops" to save SA from Covid 19.

What do you think? Patel could be nicknamed the Minister of "Flip-Flops" ? :unsure: :giggle:

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
The gap between active and closed cases is getting smaller. This is good. We want active cases to get below closed cases ideally.

Verde

Expert Member
The old aged are certainly going to need more careful care. Without it ruining their social rights though.

A question - what do we all consider the age where some isolation may be wise / recommended?
My vote would be 75 for the healthy-enough, and those with serious-ish illness who can be mobile should maybe reconsider if around 65 to 70.
(I'm going to be 58, so perhaps pushing the figures forward a bit :sneaky: )
In Spain 67% of those who died were over 85. Looking at the IFR per age group based on seroprevalence studies and comparing it to natural mortality rates, I am convinced that Covid-19 is not the underlying cause in at least 90% of the deaths. It is simply an intermediate cause prematurely ending the lives of already severely ill people who are at deaths door.
The risk is real for people over 80 and those diagnosed with severe life limiting illness.

Ask your doctor what your life expectancy is, if its more than 5 years, I would take the risk and venture outside.

Brian_G

Expert Member
In Missouri, people packed bars and restaurants at the Lake of the Ozarks, a vacation spot popular with Chicagoans, over the weekend. One video showed a crammed pool where vacationers lounged close together without masks, St. Louis station KMOV-TV reported.

In Daytona Beach, Florida, gunfire erupted Saturday night along a beachside road where more than 200 people had gathered and were seen partying and dancing despite the restrictions. Several people were wounded and taken to the hospital, authorities said.
"Disney is closed, Universal is closed. Everything is closed, so where did everybody come with the first warm day with 50% opening? Everybody came to the beach," Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood said at a Sunday news conference, referring to crowds in the Daytona Beach area.

On Georgia's Tybee Island, the beach was filled with families, bicyclists, beach chairs, games, swimmers, and more. On a main drag, people lined the sidewalk at Wet Willie's, a chain bar that sells frozen cocktails. Most stood close together — not nearly 6 feet apart — and none wore masks.
Not just about such incidents in the article, but will be some interesting areas to watch. Two weeks I presume?