International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 2

rietrot

Honorary Master
Last I heard it was wait another month, then it's the month after that.
It has always been wait for winter. That's why the northern hemisphere is past their peak. Guateng was still warm last week. Winter is only starting now. The Cape had maybe a week or two head start.

Brazil is scary. They have ridiculous numbers going onto winter.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Sorry but how exactly would you put "sweden has reached herd immunity" into context?

I watched just a random small portion of that video and saw the guy spreading lies and misinformation.
I really don't need more of a reason to stop watching.
I don't see how dismissing his rant as a good source of information destroys my credibility.

EDIT: Perhaps on a different day I would have gone through the whole video to debunk or confirm each point and statement but I'm just not up to it today, sorry if that upsets you.
Maybe watch the full thing if you actually want to comment on it. Then you see the context for yourself.

Brian_G

Expert Member
It has always been wait for winter. That's why the northern hemisphere is past their peak. Guateng was still warm last week. Winter is only starting now. The Cape had maybe a week or two head start.

Brazil is scary. They have ridiculous numbers going onto winter.
Seasonal concerns ended many weeks ago, only considered a small impact if any. Sorry, I can't recall the details after all this time though.

Brazil is suspicious IMO, make a noise then end up an example (many wilder countries have not been so affected, including ours). And the numbers are not scary for the size of their population, though still very sad.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Keeping an island nation Covid free will require eternal vigilance:
The two new cases are part of a group of 149 Mauritians repatriated from New Delhi and Mumbai on May 9 and placed in quarantine on their return, said Dr Zouberr Joomaye, spokesperson for a government committee formed to combat Covid-19.
They are being held in the same quarantine centre and are asymptomatic, Joomaye said.

The news "justifies all the precautionary measures taken by the government," Joomaye told AFP.

"Can you imagine if these two people had been allowed to return home without going through quarantine here?"

rietrot

Honorary Master
Seasonal concerns ended many weeks ago, only considered a small impact if any. Sorry, I can't recall the details after all this time though.

Brazil is suspicious IMO, make a noise then end up an example (many wilder countries have not been so affected, including ours). And the numbers are not scary for the size of their population, though still very sad.
Seasonal concerns seems very obvious for me, I also heard it's not a big deal, but I don't believe that. We will see.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Seasonal concerns are by far not over for SA. The flu season has only marginally kicked off in WC, probably because the population is under house arrest.
And for the rest of the country has yet to start. This is according to the monitoring undertaken by the NICD.

So why should season concerns relating to Covid 19 be any different? SA is still vulnerable form that point of view.
The first Cold Front has only arrived this week and is a mild one at that for most the country except for WC and EC

Brian_G

Expert Member
So why should season concerns relating to Covid 19 be any different?
There was some very clear evidence that developed against season influence at the time, many on the orig. internat. thread saw it and accepted it.
But agreed, let's not be hasty to just toss its possibilities out now that we're getting there.

MiW

Expert Member
I am doing my own scientific research. I need a peer reviews :)

The ten countries with the highest smoking rates are:
  • Greece (42.65%)
  • Serbia (41.65%)
  • Russia (40.90%)
  • Jordan (40.45%)
  • Indonesia (39.90%)
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina (38.60%)
  • Lebanon (38.30%)
  • Chile (38.00%)
All of the above have very little death rates(and not draconial lockdowns in many). There are many other countries with very high smoking e.g Bulgaria, Turkey , Russia , some more in the middle east...
Going through it fast on first glance , they have very low mortality... conclusions?

Brian_G

Expert Member
Since it's quiet, guess I'll bite :- )

Does seem to correlate, and as we know there are scientists who believe it offers some initial immunity.
But are there perhaps other factors - for instance, they're less developed countries so are they not maybe more toughened up and therefore more resistant capable, and for an extreme example are they not less likely to have 5G...... :giggle::popcorn:

MiW

Expert Member

Does seem to correlate, and as we know there are scientists who believe it offers some initial immunity.
But are there perhaps other factors - for instance, they're less developed countries so are they not maybe more toughened up and therefore more resistant capable, and for an extreme example are they not less likely to have 5G...... :giggle::popcorn:
Just don't tell the Greeks they are less developed :ROFL:.. or the Russians

wernerdp

Less antibiotics, less vaccines , more natural immune system

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
I am doing my own scientific research. I need a peer reviews :)

The ten countries with the highest smoking rates are:
  • Greece (42.65%)
  • Serbia (41.65%)
  • Russia (40.90%)
  • Jordan (40.45%)
  • Indonesia (39.90%)
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina (38.60%)
  • Lebanon (38.30%)
  • Chile (38.00%)
All of the above have very little death rates(and not draconial lockdowns in many). There are many other countries with very high smoking e.g Bulgaria, Turkey , Russia , some more in the middle east...
Going through it fast on first glance , they have very low mortality... conclusions?
Despite a French study suggesting smokers may have less risk of contracting the virus, the WHO said there is “currently insufficient information” to confirm it.

The organisation said it is constantly evaluating new research, including research that examines the link between tobacco and nicotine use, and Covid-19.

“WHO urges researchers, scientists and the media to be cautious about amplifying unproven claims that tobacco or nicotine could reduce the risk of Covid-19,” the organisation said in a statement.

tetrasect

Not just about such incidents in the article, but will be some interesting areas to watch. Two weeks I presume?
I think many of those people are on vacation and will take it back home so in addition to those specific areas we will probably see a greater impact around the US.

Maybe watch the full thing if you actually want to comment on it. Then you see the context for yourself.
Sigh... Again, there is no possible context in which you can say "sweden has reached herd immunity" that makes it true. Sweden has not reached herd immunity and the guy knows it, that's why he shifted his eyes away from the camera the exact second he said it. He is consciously lying.