International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 2

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Yes, it will disappear. Eventually.... wreaking havoc until it does

tetrasect

Exactly. Far better to access the original paper before commenting on anything the journalist think the authors meant.
So the study shows that some family members of people with antibodies had SARS-CoV-2-specific T-cells even though they tested negative for antibodies, meaning they must have had the virus in the past.

That's great news! It means immunity does not disappear with antibodies.

MiW

Expert Member
So the study shows that some family members of people with antibodies had SARS-CoV-2-specific T-cells even though they tested negative for antibodies, meaning they must have had the virus in the past.

That's great news! It means immunity does not disappear with antibodies.
I am not getting to the same conclusion. If this family members never got sick (?) , means that they had previous immunity , probably cross from other corona viruses, hence no need to make antibodies.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Hmmm...Independence Day weekend in the US! Corona be :love:

Kristi Noem, the Republican governor of South Dakota, said this week that the 7,500 people expected to gather for a fireworks display on Friday at Mount Rushmore — which President Donald Trump is attending — would not be required to wear masks or practise social distancing.
It will be hard to wear a mask while drinking cocktails and eating appetisers at Blackwater Jacks this weekend. The Ozarks bar told the Financial Times it plans to hold a pool party on Friday — irreverently named “No Ducks Given” — despite the coronavirus outbreak.

tetrasect

I am not getting to the same conclusion. If this family members never got sick (?) , means that they had previous immunity , probably cross from other corona viruses, hence no need to make antibodies.
They specifically targeted people who showed symptoms in the past but never got tested. So they definitely did get sick, they just didn't know till now that it was covid.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
At finishes we'll probably give the public a wristband that lets out a noise when people don’t respect social distancing, registering who they come into contact with.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gi...al-distancing-with-sound-emitting-wristbands/

I find the use of innovation and technology quite refreshing in this. About time we took this over from the useless governments.

I assume they would implement something like this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...the-coronavirus-era/5ebc46fd88e0fa17cddfa4c0/

Companies are rolling out wearables that will buzz or light up when co-workers aren't maintaining social distance in the workplace.
It also makes a nice change from the round and round arguments about numbers and crackdowns and assorted bullshit.