International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 2

B-1

Yes, the ignorance is amazing. At a party in Virginia Beach with my host and his headmistress wife introduces one of her teachers. The lady asked where I was from because "you speak kinda funny". I told her South Africa. She thought a bit, then asked "Is there a North Africa". Apparently she had a college degree

I found its best to say I am from England. You know, that place with castles and all
I like to say Im from south africa and then when they look puzzled I say its in sub saharan africa and then change the subject.

Temujin

Executive Member
NDZ needs to mandate fat camps for herself and the rest of the waste of skin politicians

Reactions: air

Lupus

Honorary Master
3 days ago there was over 200k recoveries. Also a record high but one you don't often see published.
Active cases are sitting at over 38% worldwide now, with recoveries sitting at over 56% leaving just over 4.6% deaths.

buka001

Executive Member
More places go back to lockdown:

Spain locks down an area near Barcelona with 400,000 people after spike in coronavirus cases just as Britons prepare to head out there on long-awaited summer holidays

In certain postcodes in Melbourne, people will not be allowed out for any reason whatsoever!

It's also worth watching NY in the States, as it had the highest daily test count since June 12 (guess constant protesting does that...)
After the scenes of Soho in London last night, I think they could be having a local lockdown soon.

chrisc

Executive Member
How long if ever will it take to rebuild the world economy ..........but one thing is for sure,- it will never be the same again.

In the (USA) the Tsunami of bankruptcies begins...

See the US economy landscape :

Nissan Motor Co. may close down in USA

1. Biggest Car Rental company (Hertz) filed for bankruptcy - they also own Thrifty and Dollar

2. Biggest Trucking company (Comcar) filed for bankruptcy - they have 4000 trucks

3. Oldest retail company (JC Penny) filed for bankruptcy - to be acquired by Amazon for pennies

4. Biggest investor in the world (Warren Buffet) lost $50B in the last 2 months

5. Biggest investment company in the world (BlackRock) is signalling disaster in the world economy - they manage over $7 Trillion

6. Biggest mall in America (Mall of America) stopped paying mortgage payments

7. Most reputable airline in the world (Emirates) laying off 30% of its employees

8. US Treasury printing trillions to try to keep the economy on life support - their balance sheet will become $7 T+

9. Estimated no. of retail stores closing in 2020 - 12,000 to 15,000. The following are big retailers that have announced closing:

-- J. Crew
-- Gap
-- Victoria's Secret
-- Bath & Body Works
-- Forever 21
-- Sears
-- Walgreens
-- GameStop
-- Pier 1 Imports
-- Nordstrom
-- Papyrus
-- Chico's
-- Destination Maternity
-- Modell's
-- A.C. Moore
-- Macy's
-- Bose
-- Art Van Furniture
-- Olympia Sports
-- K Mart
-- Specialty Cafe & Bakery
and many many more...

World-renowned brands from January to May because of the impact of the epidemic:

Victoria’s Secret declared bankruptcy,
ZARA closed 1,200 stores,
La Chapelle withdraws 4391 stores,
Chanel was discontinued,
Hermes is discontinued,
Patek Philippe discontinued production,
Rolex discontinued production,

The world’s luxury industry has ceased production,

Nike has a total of 23 billion US dollars, preparing for the second stage of layoffs,
Needless to say about travel,

The founder of Airbnb said that because of the epidemic, 12 years of efforts were destroyed in 6 weeks,

Even Starbucks also announced "to permanently close 400 stores"

Under the weight of the new crown epidemic, many giants are facing the crisis of failure!

Five months of the epidemic, 780 million people were in debt, and tens of thousands of companies went bankrupt, so the company was seriously replaced.

Massive mortgage loan defaults, credit card defaults and auto loan defaults are expected

The real impact of Covid -19 will be known in the third quarter of 2020.

Unemployment claims reached an all-time high of 38+ million - unemployment is over 25% (out of 160 million of work force, close to 40 million are jobless). With no income, consumer demand is falling drastically and the economy will go into a free fall.

This is just in USA..

Paulsie

How long if ever will it take to rebuild the world economy ..........but one thing is for sure,- it will never be the same again.

In the (USA) the Tsunami of bankruptcies begins...
And most courtesy of share buybacks. In good times they were not spending towards growth or saving for leaner times.

Most were wasting money on share buybacks, so that shareholders could cash in. Some were even borrowing to buy their shares back.

Edit: what I mean by the above is that for the vast majority of large companies in trouble, covid is just the trigger (black swan event), not the cause.

Last edited:

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Interesting proposal from Fauci.

He said that instead of testing an entire household, the US should implement pool testing.

That is, if someone being tested lives with other people, if the person tests negative, don't test any other member of the house/flat/shack.

Certainly makes sense and will save a lot of time.

I don't have a link now as I saw it on TV (MSNBC)

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Interesting proposal from Fauci.

He said that instead of testing an entire household, the US should implement pool testing.

That is, if someone being tested lives with other people, if the person tests negative, don't test any other member of the house/flat/shack.

Certainly makes sense and will save a lot of time.

I don't have a link now as I saw it on TV (MSNBC)
That's not very scientific. Studies in Germany found that only half of all multi-member households have more than one infection, so you are likely to miss a lot of cases.

Anyway, most countries don't have the resources for random population testing, so this is completely irrelevant IMO...

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
That's not very scientific. Studies in Germany found that only half of all multi-member households have more than one infection, so you are likely to miss a lot of cases.

Anyway, most countries don't have the resources for random population testing, so this is completely irrelevant IMO...
This is how it will work

So how does pool testing work?

People would still go in individually and get a coronavirus test, but in the lab, instead of testing each one, they would combine the specimens in small batches of maybe five, 10, or 15. Then they would run one test on all of them together

If that test is negative, then it's fair to say that batch of five, 10, or 15 people are all negative, but instead of utilizing 10 tests, they only used one, which saves resources.

If the test comes back positive — then that’s when the lab would have to backtrack and re-test each specimen individually to find the infected person or persons.

I tend to agree with him, the number of people going for a test if they just sneezed is using up a lot of resources and wastes time.

Let's face it, the number of negative cases is absolutely useless for any model.

Edit: my initial interpretation was incorrect. Apologies. Its only when I googled what he said that I understood

Last edited:

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Yeah-no, that's what started all of this. The timeline fits perfectly.
(Don't bother trying to change my mind...it's not going to happen.)
Refreshing to see someone admit they're impervious to evidence. :)

Which is also the primary destination for thousands of university students from the rest of the country for Spring Break?
Spring Break was at the beginning of April. The latest spikes are from Memorial Day and re-opening too quickly.

jack_spratt

Expert Member
If Hillary was president we wouldn't even hear about Covid, there would just be a slight increase in normal flu deaths.

tetrasect

This has been known pretty much from the beginning already. The fact that it spreads so fast was evidence enough that it was not being transmitted by people coughing and sneezing on each other.

It's astounding how backwards the WHO is...