International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 2

flippakitten

Expert Member
I don't know why people have to persistently exaggerate the benefit of masks.

The meta-analysis also only applies to N95, surgical masks and 12-16 layer cloth masks.

But they additionally claim "Wearing face masks was also acceptable and feasible." I don't know how they pulled that from their meta-analysis. It's difficult to get medical staff to wear masks consistently, due to comfort issues. This is likely to be even more of a problem with the general public.

There have also been studies that found masks blocked a significant amount of material yet in practice there was an insignificant difference in infections between those wearing masks and those not. Now that could be down to inconsistent use due to poor tolerability. This would certainly match what I have observed in the real world - the majority of people cannot keep them on for long.
Heads up, it's currently July, at this point in time we know that different masks have varying results but any kind of face covering introduces a barrier which in turn reduces the amount of arsolised and droplets in the air.

pouroverguy

Hopefully our doctors are paying attention
They are. In general, SA has excellent doctors and they're paying attention to trends and treatment breakthroughs and so on. For example, Dexamethasone was approved for use here very quickly, once the RECOVERY trial's results came out.

Paulsie

When, a few weeks ago, I mentioned that sugar (junk foods, processed foods etc) should be banned instead of focusing on smoking, I was shouted down. Turns out blood sugar levels are harmful, while nicotine might provide certain levels of protection. Hmm, perhaps the Internet experts are the real experts after all

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory

On March 1, California seemed destined to be pummeled by the coronavirus. America’s most populous state has large, crowded cities and a diverse population, and travel between it and Asia and Europe is prodigious. Seattle, another West Coast hub, had just become the first U.S. city to be hit by the virus, and a cruise ship crawling with COVID-19 was about to enter San Francisco Bay.

Three months later, California had weathered the virus’s first storm. By June 1, the state had experienced a total of 115,000 cases and 4,200 deaths. In contrast, New York State, its population half that of California, had seen 372,000 cases and 29,900 deaths, not counting thousands more who died at home. Had California’s per capita mortality rate equaled New York’s, 55,000 more people would have died.

I and others dubbed it the “California miracle.”

A month later, the miracle has evaporated. Case and hospitalization rates in California have doubled since early June. Although mortality rates have lagged, deaths will invariably follow. So will finger-pointing. How did the Golden State manage to screw things up after such a promising start? California’s experience shows that doing the right thing matters—but gives you no special privilege when you stop doing it.
1594476163898.png

Paulsie

View attachment 873055
The way I read this article is that it is yet another proof of the lockdown being useless as a covid strategy. Yes you can use it short term to build hospital capacity etc, but once you reopen, the virus comes back whether you like it or not. And why wouldn't it??

So either you lockdown forever, or you stop being surprised that lockdown has not helped with getting rid of the virus and start looking for other strategies.

realkingkam

View attachment 873231

The young have now begun to transmit it to the elderly folk in the Sun Belt states. Keep an eye out for an increase in deaths soon in the US.
Its just the beginning, 1 to 2 weeks for symptoms then another month till its tickets. Next month they should start reporting deaths in the tens of thousands a day. Virus did not change the damage it done with the first million infections it will do with the next million infections...

Hey sitting on 3 million and climbing i really sympathize with all those people it is going to be bad ... no stopping it now ...

MiW

Expert Member

Flu vac seems to increase nearly x5 the chance to get severe respiratory infection, from other viruses , like rhino and corona.

Also that might be the reason why the 'poorer' side of EU didn't get hit as bad.

Interesting that no one is checking this.

pouroverguy

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

Flu vac seems to increase nearly x5 the chance to get severe respiratory infection, from other viruses , like rhino and corona.

Also that might be the reason why the 'poorer' side of EU didn't get hit as bad.

Interesting that no one is checking this.
Increase or decrease? Post confusing. I am not about to check that video.

MiW

Expert Member
Increase - get a jab, protect yourself from flu, but become more susceptible to everything else..
% INFLUENZA VACCINATIONS IN THE ELDERLY/COVID-19 DEATHRATES PER MILLION
Czech Republic 20.3/28 Lithuania 13.4/22
Denmark 52.0/97 Luxembourg 37.6/174
Estonia 4.8/48 Netherlands 64.0/337
Finland 48.4/55 Norway 34.4/43
France 49.7/431 Portugal 60.8/125
Germany 34.8/99 Slovak Republic 13.0/5
Hungary 26.8/49 Slovenia 11.8/51
Ireland 57.6/319 Spain 53.7/596
Italy 52.7/535 Sweden 49.4/384
Latvia 7.7/12 United Kingdom 72.6/531