International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 2

flippakitten

Expert Member
So, Russia claims to have a vaccine.

Two interesting things come to mind;
1. Will they share it with BRICS countries first and...
2. Will we actually WANT to try it? :)
What do the Anti-Vaxers have to say :cautious:
An unconfirmed vaccine from Russia within 8 months?
Sounds like the perfect setup of a Zombie movie.

Seriously though, I'm not going to trust it until the west have verified it until then I'm going to assume it's Vodka.

neoprema

Expert Member
H
On what authority are we calling it "improperly tested"? Did they get insight into the testing process?

I mean Moderna, Pfeizer and Oxford/AZ are basically ready to launch soon now too, are we calling theirs "improperly tested" too?

I just hope science prevails here and not politics so that we don't suspect the Russian vaccine simply because it comes out of Russia.

Paulsie

An unconfirmed vaccine from Russia within 8 months?
Sounds like the perfect setup of a Zombie movie.

Seriously though, I'm not going to trust it until the west have verified it until then I'm going to assume it's Vodka.
They probably using all the old radioactive stockpiles from the old days. Apparently it's effective against ANY virus!!!

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
H

On what authority are we calling it "improperly tested"? Did they get insight into the testing process?

I mean Moderna, Pfeizer and Oxford/AZ are basically ready to launch soon now too, are we calling theirs "improperly tested" too?

I just hope science prevails here and not politics so that we don't suspect the Russian vaccine simply because it comes out of Russia.
Because there's no way their vaccine has gotten through phase 2 trials yet, nevermind phase 3. They also haven't shared any data on what they got from phase 1.

The Gamaleya vaccine has been given to 76 volunteers as part of two early-stage trials listed on ClinicalTrials.gov, but no results from those trials or other preclinical studies have been published, and little else is known about the experimental vaccine.
The data from all the ones you mentioned are publicly available. Even the main one in China's published its phase 1 data.

Paulsie

Interesting new book on the rise of "medical power".
French philosopher Gaston Bachelard observed that “scientific truth” is never more than a “corrected mistake.” The British philosopher of science Karl Popper also argued that the only “truth” in science is the hypothesis that has not yet been falsified, with the implication that one day it may well be falsified.
My favourite part!!

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
My favourite part!!
That is the first lesson about Science one has to learn and understand. If you don't you will always fall for the latest flavour of the month crap.
There is only what appears to be possibly correct given the current understanding.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
There are two medical discipline a at least, who should hang their heads in shame after this Covid 19 debacle.
The first are the Pulmonologists who have been shown to be rather poorly trained fluid mechanics technicians.
The second group are the Epidemiologists who have been shown up for using really poor science in their models.
Then there are the other hangers on . The list is rather long.