International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulsie

Expert Member

Sounds like a lock down to me.
That's what people do not understand. That's what the Swedes have been doing right from the start. Following recommendations and guidelines and using their brains. That's what any sane person should do when sick, regardless whether it is covid, flu, tb or just a cold.

In the meantime the rest of the wold decided to wield its iron fist and shout "Obey or else!!".

The Swedes isolated and limited visits, contact etc back in Mar, Apr, May... but we're told they are foolish for not controlling their people. Now that they are returning to the same situation as before, they're suddenly locking down????

MiW

Expert Member
That's what people do not understand. That's what the Swedes have been doing right from the start. Following recommendations and guidelines and using their brains. That's what any sane person should do when sick, regardless whether it is covid, flu, tb or just a cold.

In the meantime the rest of the wold decided to wield its iron fist and shout "Obey or else!!".

The Swedes isolated and limited visits, contact etc back in Mar, Apr, May... but we're told they are foolish for not controlling their people. Now that they are returning to the same situation as before, they're suddenly locking down????
Sadly most of the people on earth lack the Nordic/Germanic and Japanese/SK mentality of following logical Governments.
Might have a lots to do with the lack of logical Governments , and the plenty of corrupt and stupid politicians around the globe, who are first to defy any common sense.

tetrasect

Expert Member

They have always had a lockdown, even the first time around. Sure it's a voluntary lockdown but that doesn't make it any less of a lockdown.

It's also important to realize that it has only remained voluntary because people are willingly following the guidelines. If the public went all Karen then the Swedish government would have no problem imposing fines for breaking the rules. And I'm pretty sure something like deliberately coughing on people is still considered a criminal offense, even in Sweden.

Paulsie

Expert Member
They have always had a lockdown, even the first time around. Sure it's a voluntary lockdown but that doesn't make it any less of a lockdown.

It's also important to realize that it has only remained voluntary because people are willingly following the guidelines. If the public went all Karen then the Swedish government would have no problem imposing fines for breaking the rules. And I'm pretty sure something like deliberately coughing on people is still considered a criminal offense, even in Sweden.
Refering back to my previous post - when you feel sick for whatever reason, you stay at home, don't go to work and keep to yourself.

Remember the "keep away from me" people use when they have common cold and don't want to infect other people?

So now all of a sudden we are calling this a lockdown and have to be forced into it??

tetrasect

Expert Member
Refering back to my previous post - when you feel sick for whatever reason, you stay at home, don't go to work and keep to yourself.

Remember the "keep away from me" people use when they have common cold and don't want to infect other people?

So now all of a sudden we are calling this a lockdown and have to be forced into it??

I agree, at this point everyone knows what Coronavirus is and is aware of the risks.

Our hospitals are nowhere close to capacity and quarantine "hospitals" are empty.

They should just keep the masks and social distancing in public and scrap the rest.

If you have pre-existing conditions and attend an event with 2000 people you have nobody but yourself to blame if you get infected.

noxibox

Honorary Master

Well even the amount of isolating, visiting and contact limiting was very limited. They'd still be vilified for generally continuing to go about their lives, which is what they did. Additionally people in other countries were already also doing essentially the same basic things. Yet they still went for the draconian option. Sometimes it was the demand of some segments of the population, others the government deciding that more extreme measures were called for. Sweden resisted the temptation to take that route. The Netherlands partially buckled.

Rather it is an attempt at revisionism. The Swedes were meant to die in droves. They didn't. Which is a bit inconvenient for promoters of lock downs.

flippakitten

Expert Member

In Apr/May (they were letting old people die in March by doing nothing) they were being used as an example by people against lockdowns when in reality they did have one but they're civilized so it wasn't mandated.

UK and US as an example are totally different places to Sweden, people were asked to do xyz and didn't, so it was mandated. People we asked to wear masks in shops but didn't, so it was mandated. The mandates are a response to inaction by the population.

Do I have to remind you of the videos from the South African townships of people having parties chanting corona.

flippakitten

Expert Member
and more on the point of why shielding the vunerable and people doing what's right.

I agree it's a breach of human rights but at the same time, it's also a breach to knowingly put someone elses life at risk.

I guess if you believe it's a breach of human rights, you should move out of the care home? Jeeze, that's a terrible thing to say but I'm not sure what else to do.

flippakitten

Expert Member
Shoo hectic! The bodies must have lined the streets for weeks! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Give it two weeks... Also I don't remember seeing those videos?

The point I was making wasn't about the virus it was about people don't do what they are asked to hence things need to be mandated.

I also still don't get joke about the two weeks...
Hospital adminsions per day in the UK are more than doubled what they were two weeks ago.

Then again you two have no clue what's really going on in South Africa, or what went on looking through your middle class medical aid point of view.

The pictures from some of the government hospitals was quite the opposite of what your experience was.

How does that phrase go "Just because it's not happening to you doesn't mean it's not happening"

MiW

Expert Member
The point I was making wasn't about the virus it was about people don't do what they are asked to hence things need to be mandated.

I also still don't get joke about the two weeks...
Hospital adminsions per day in the UK are more than doubled what they were two weeks ago.

Then again you two have no clue what's really going on in South Africa, or what went on looking through your middle class medical aid point of view.

The pictures from some of the government hospitals was quite the opposite of what your experience was.

How does that phrase go "Just because it's not happening to you doesn't mean it's not happening"
1603295841364.png

Status
Not open for further replies.