International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetrasect

Expert Member
More nonsense from these scare-mongering scientists. Just read an article in the FT saying how much lower the fatality rate is now compared to March / April.

Yeah "tens of thousands" is a very high estimate. "Thousands" is a far more realistic guess.

neoprema

Expert Member
You need a better shrink. Your mental fortitude is ****ed my man.
Lol I asked a simple question? We all have breaking news alerts from various providers - I get about 5-10 of them daily from CNN, AJ, Sky etc. I'm asking, do people think those who avoid news/media are better off handling COVID-19 (or any disaster really) than those who are privy to the world news at any moment?

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Lol I asked a simple question? We all have breaking news alerts from various providers - I get about 5-10 of them daily from CNN, AJ, Sky etc. I'm asking, do people think those who avoid news/media are better off handling COVID-19 (or any disaster really) than those who are privy to the world news at any moment?
Those who are mentally(/emotionally?) strong let the **** wash off like water from a duck's back.

neoprema

Expert Member
Then in reality, what difference would it make? Your chances of being infected when so isolated are practically zero.
Okay, so you're saying that person may still worry about it, but worry less because their risk profile is lower given the lack of interaction with the infected?

flippakitten

Expert Member
UK can expect tens of thousands of deaths in second wave – Sage scientist
The UK can expect tens of thousands of deaths from the second wave of coronavirus in what is a “bleak” situation, a Government scientist has said.
Professor John Edmunds, a member of the Government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) and from the London said the virus will never go away, even with a vaccine. We will never be as we were.

:oops::oops::oops:

Take with a gallon of salt.

Simply apply the same logic to him as to every other person that runs their mouth.
Please show us the evidence and studies to backup this statement.

edit: Talking about Professor John Edmunds

neoprema

Expert Member
Take with a gallon of salt.

Simply apply the same logic to him as to every other person that runs their mouth.
Please show us the evidence and studies to backup this statement.
Yeah it seems the very people we've educated all these years and put into positions of authority on subjects, are the ones we have to suspect the most now.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Okay, so you're saying that person may still worry about it, but worry less because their risk profile is lower given the lack of interaction with the infected?
A rational person wouldn't give two hoots in such a situation as they come into contact with no-one and on the rare chance they do, it's not going to be hundreds of people in confined spaces indoors.

I'd also suggest that to live off the grid requires the kind of personality that shrugs off fear mongering and media hype anyway.

flippakitten

Expert Member

I've done that to a degree, it's peaceful but then you need food, drive into town and theres a protest riot and you car get's pelted with bricks. So instead of know what's going on, you end up worry what's going to happen.

I would say if you were totally uninformed and told to you had to wear a mask it would be more worrying.

(Also, most people that live off grid still rely on the system when they get sick, or need to send their kids to school. So basically unless you move in with some untouched amazonian tribe, that won't happen.)

flippakitten

Expert Member
Yeah it seems the very people we've educated all these years and put into positions of authority on subjects, are the ones we have to suspect the most now.

Well, I will first go see where the good proffessor said this and then find out exactly what he said because sensationalism tends to twist words.

neoprema

Expert Member
I've done that to a degree, it's peaceful but then you need food, drive into town and theres a protest riot and you car get's pelted with bricks. So instead of know what's going on, you end up worry what's going to happen.

I would say if you were totally uninformed and told to you had to wear a mask it would be more worrying.

(Also, most people that live off grid still rely on the system when they get sick, or need to send their kids to school. So basically unless you move in with some untouched amazonian tribe, that won't happen.)
Thank you for a great answer :) flippakitten for president! :)

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Well, I will first go see where the good proffessor said this and then find out exactly what he said because sensationalism tends to twist words.
But' it's been proven, all the most of the learned people on the SA MAC lied and/or got it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.