International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Tempus

Executive Member
Ok, so one more time in case anyone hasn't seen this yet:

View attachment 940432

That is such a dumb comparison, I hope you are aware.

Water molecules are much larger than biological molecules.

Is this a democrat argument ? Only democrats would somehow be able to just randomly pee on other people if they had a chance.

I can accept masks for what it is, pretentious things on our faces making the paranoid feel safe and I am ok with that for now. The thing I am not OK with is that we are treating this virus as if its the end all life on earth virus and it is anything but that but it is all done of course to make people feel safe without science even backing it.

The one moment everyone takes the advice of the WHO when they say wear masks, lock down, etc. and then when they come out stating that masks are not really effective and lock downs dont work the same people suddenly don't appreciate the information from the WHO.

Pick your poison.

tetrasect

Expert Member
That is such a dumb comparison, I hope you are aware.

Water molecules are much larger than biological molecules.

Is this a democrat argument ? Only democrats would somehow be able to just randomly pee on other people if they had a chance.

I can accept masks for what it is, pretentious things on our faces making the paranoid feel safe and I am ok with that for now. The thing I am not OK with is that we are treating this virus as if its the end all life on earth virus and it is anything but that but it is all done of course to make people feel safe without science even backing it.

The one moment everyone takes the advice of the WHO when they say wear masks, lock down, etc. and then when they come out stating that masks are not really effective and lock downs dont work the same people suddenly don't appreciate the information from the WHO.

Pick your poison.

A few points I wanna make:

1). Everyone (except you apparently) knows that masks are not meant to protect you, they are meant to protect those around you.

2). Nobody gives a crap about what the democrats or the WHO says. Anyone with 2 brain cells can figure out that a piece of material covering your mouth will block the majority of particles that are ejected when speaking/breathing. And for those who can't figure that out for themselves there has been plenty evidence provided over the last 9 months which is just a google or youtube search away (or by going to the previous page on this very thread).

3). What makes you think "science doesn't back it"? Do you seriously need someone to write a scientific paper using physics to explain that when you spit into a mask, your spit doesn't hit the person in front of you? This is kindergarten level knowledge.

zoozi

Obviously a mask just for the fact it is some sort of cover over the mouth would contain "something" but the science is out on this entire issue and the states in USA alone that is conforming with complete mask mandate is hit with the highest covid19 confirmed cases. So either these mostly blue states are just unlucky or it just shows that masks does not improve anything and whatever sneeze you might put into the mask still travels out of it quite easily.

Case in point, I went to get a haircut and had my N95 masks snug yet at the end of the haircut I still have a mouth full of hair as if I didn't wear a mask so if hair can so easily still make it through I don't see how it would manage to prevent biological sht to get through with ease.

On average, the number of excess COVID-19 cases per 100,000 residents in US states reopening without masks is 10 times the number in states reopening with masks after 8 weeks. 50,000 excess deaths were prevented within 6 weeks in 13 states that implemented mask mandates prior to reopening.

neoprema

Expert Member
A mask helps, no one is touting it as the best thing ever. But its better than nothing.
And if your risk profile says you don't need to wear a mask to protect others, you should cut the brake lines on your car. Your airbag will protect you, and you clearly don't care about the baby in the pram you ran over cause you didn't stop, as long as YOU are ok.

rietrot

Honorary Master
A mask helps, no one is touting it as the best thing ever. But its better than nothing.
And if your risk profile says you don't need to wear a mask to protect others, you should cut the brake lines on your car. Your airbag will protect you, and you clearly don't care about the baby in the pram you ran over cause you didn't stop, as long as YOU are ok.
At this point posting nonsense like this with no clue what you are talking about amounts to religious fanaticism.

neoprema

Expert Member
At this point posting nonsense like this with no clue what you are talking about amounts to religious fanaticism.
Oh I'm sorry, you clearly know more than WHO and all the scientists who have said a mask helps and prevents others from getting the virus. Including all the clearly demonstrating videos tetrasect was referring to.
Perhaps they should promote you to global leader so you can fire everyone else...

zoozi

You have hard data on the viral payload and spread in these sneezes that only 20% of infected engage in?

Really. That's awesome.
Come on now man, we've known about asymptomatic/pre-symptomatic transmission for MONTHS. You guys are tiresome.
I really couldn't be bothered to look up more recent studies, I posted the following in this thread in April:

"The viral load that was detected in the asymptomatic patient was similar to that in the symptomatic patients, which suggests the transmission potential of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic patients. These findings are in concordance with reports that transmission may occur early in the course of infection5 and suggest that case detection and isolation may require strategies different from those required for the control of SARS-CoV. How SARS-CoV-2 viral load correlates with culturable virus needs to be determined. Identification of patients with few or no symptoms and with modest levels of detectable viral RNA in the oropharynx for at least 5 days suggests that we need better data to determine transmission dynamics and inform our screening practices. "

"A key factor in the transmissibility of Covid-19 is the high level of SARS-CoV-2 shedding in the upper respiratory tract,1 even among presymptomatic patients, which distinguishes it from SARS-CoV-1, where replication occurs mainly in the lower respiratory tract.2 Viral loads with SARS-CoV-1, which are associated with symptom onset, peak a median of 5 days later than viral loads with SARS-CoV-2 "
Asymptomatic Transmission, the Achilles’ Heel of Current Strategies to Control Covid-19
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2009758

rustypup

Expert Member
You guys are tiresome.
Really. We're tiresome now. That's nice, I guess.

You still haven't provided anything remotely close to data supporting your contention that it's the 20% of coughing, sneezing, symptomatic carriers who are entirely responsible for infecting the remaining 80% non-symptomatic infected, who are neither coughing nor sneezing.

Or did you just climb into this discussion because it's tiresome explaining unrelated factoids to us clueless, tiresome, dimwits?

rustypup

Expert Member
they are meant to protect those around you.
If you're symptomatic, sure.

...and you're not constantly adjusting said mask
...and you're sanitising the mask....

As an observer of human nature, I'm betting that none of the above apply.

Do you seriously need someone to write a scientific paper using physics to explain that when you spit into a mask
No. I require no such data because I understand that proving suspended particles of sputum have sufficient payload to swamp a healthy immune system is non-trivial and unlikely to render usable results in the face of the *fact* that the largest infected cohort is not spraying sputum everywhere.

That you continue to pretend that this is only *one* vector and not the most prevalent, given the disparity in infection rates, speaks to a desire to hang onto anything that affirms your bias whilst doing everything in your power to avoid acknowledging that humans are dirty, disease-riddled, creatures that engage in poor hygiene as a matter of course and pretending masks are going to protect anyone is the juvenile equivalent of cowering under the covers.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Oh I'm sorry, you clearly know more than WHO and all the scientists who have said a mask helps and prevents others from getting the virus. Including all the clearly demonstrating videos tetrasect was referring to.
Perhaps they should promote you to global leader so you can fire everyone else...
I would decline the position. Thanks but no thanks.

tetrasect

Expert Member
You have hard data on the viral payload and spread in these sneezes that only 20% of infected engage in?

Really. That's awesome.

I never said anything about percentages of sneezes or whatever you're on about.

Like I said, go use your same ridiculous logic to argue against toothbrushes and toothpaste, since clearly we have a plandemic of cavities on our hands which can only mean one thing: It's actually the toothpaste that's creating the cavities and the WHO is making us brush our teeth as an act of submission to their nefarious plans!

tetrasect

Expert Member
If you're symptomatic, sure.

Or asymptomatic.

No. I require no such data because I understand that proving suspended particles of sputum have sufficient payload to swamp a healthy immune system is non-trivial and unlikely to render usable results in the face of the *fact* that the largest infected cohort is not spraying sputum everywhere.

That you continue to pretend that this is only *one* vector and not the most prevalent, given the disparity in infection rates, speaks to a desire to hang onto anything that affirms your bias whilst doing everything in your power to avoid acknowledging that humans are dirty, disease-riddled, creatures that engage in poor hygiene as a matter of course and pretending masks are going to protect anyone is the juvenile equivalent of cowering under the covers.

What don't you understand about MASK > NO MASK?!

sand_man

Honorary Master
Person-to-Person Transmission
Experts believe the virus that causes COVID-19 spreads mainly from person to person. There are several ways this can happen:

• Droplets or aerosols. When an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks, droplets or tiny particles called aerosols carry the virus into the air from their nose or mouth. Anyone who is within 6 feet of that person can breathe it into their lungs.
  • Airborne transmission. Research shows that the virus can live in the air for up to 3 hours. It can get into your lungs if someone who has it breathes out and you breathe that air in. Experts are divided on how often the virus spreads through the airborne route and how much it contributes to the pandemic.
  • Surface transmission. Another way to catch the new coronavirus is when you touch surfaces that someone who has the virus has coughed or sneezed on. You may touch a countertop or doorknob that's contaminated and then touch your nose, mouth, or eyes. The virus can live on surfaces like plastic and stainless steel for 2 to 3 days. To stop it, clean and disinfect all counters, knobs, and other surfaces you and your family touch several times a day.
  • Fecal-oral. Studies also suggest that virus particles can be found in infected people's poop. But experts aren't sure whether the infection can spread through contact with an infected person's stool. If that person uses the bathroom and doesn't wash their hands, they could infect things and people that they touch.
The virus most often spreads through people who have symptoms. But it is possible to pass it on without showing any signs. Some people who don't know they've been infected can give it to others. This is called asymptomatic spread. You can also pass it on before you notice any signs of infection, called presymptomatic spread.
Don't be a tool, just wear your fcking mask...

neoprema

Expert Member
Malema apparently saying at a news briefing the country should be moved back to lockdown Level 5

What is he smoking!?

Status
Not open for further replies.