International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveza

Honorary Master
Surface transmission.
Another way to catch the new coronavirus is when you touch surfaces that someone who has the virus has coughed or sneezed on. You may touch a countertop or doorknob that's contaminated and then touch your nose, mouth, or eyes.

The question I still don't have an answer for after 8 months.

So you have a covid drop on your finger and you then touch your nose or cheek.

What then ?

Does it burrow through the dermis and seek it's way to your lungs ?

Is there a hidden passage from the eyelid to the Bronchioles ?

You need to breathe this stuff in in quite large amounts.

I'm pretty sure we have all breathed in at least one or two little covids yet here we are.

sand_man

Honorary Master
The question I still don't have an answer for after 8 months.

So you have a covid drop on your finger and you then touch your nose or cheek.

What then ?

Does it burrow through the dermis and seek it's way to your lungs ?

Is there a hidden passage from the eyelid to the Bronchioles ?

You need to breathe this stuff in in quite large amounts.

I'm pretty sure we have all breathed in at least one or two little covids yet here we are.
Seems infection through the eye is quite a stretch, possible but unlikely...

itsme2

At this point I wear a mask, wash my hands and social distance to help reduce the rate of spread so the hospitals don't fill up with old people too quickly.
sounds like you need to be isolating rather. Also sounds like the hospitals are crippled by this, however they’re not?

tetrasect

Expert Member
I think you are always so conveniently acting on the side of what even science is now proving does not actually make people immune.

Keep peddling your snakeoil and live in fear, while you are at it why not wear a complete hazmat suite and make sure you dont wander close to poor people because you might get infected with poverty.

I made it clear that the most effective outcome of wearing a mask in this climate is to make others around you "feel" safe and I am perfectly fine with that. Just don't try and play the game that if everyone wears a mask suddenly no one would get infected, the virus doesn't give a fk and it will infect you with/without a mask.

Again, nobody has ever said that wearing a cloth mask somehow makes you immune to Covid, same as brushing your teeth doesn't make you immune to cavities or wearing a seatbelt doesn't guarantee you don't get injured in a car accident.

Reduction ≠ elimination.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Declining antibodies have nothing to do with declining immunity and virus memory (ie T-cells). Having antibodies means your body has recently been exposed to threat and had to protect itself. When no longer under threat, antibodies decline but memory stays. Unless of course the new threat looks different to the old one (ie mutation).

That's basic immunology that even elementary students understand
Even ordinary reasonably informed people also understand it.

Last edited:

flippakitten

Expert Member
I think you are always so conveniently acting on the side of what even science is now proving does not actually make people immune.

Keep peddling your snakeoil and live in fear, while you are at it why not wear a complete hazmat suite and make sure you dont wander close to poor people because you might get infected with poverty.

I made it clear that the most effective outcome of wearing a mask in this climate is to make others around you "feel" safe and I am perfectly fine with that. Just don't try and play the game that if everyone wears a mask suddenly no one would get infected, the virus doesn't give a fk and it will infect you with/without a mask.

Calm down Karen, masks reduce the rate of spread, nothing more, nothing less. It's really not hard to understand, or maybe it is for you apparently.

Lupus

Honorary Master

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
This explains why deaths are not showing as much, doctors have learnt how to treat it better. I mean we're also not seeing the pictures of the hospitals full of people and doctors rushing around.
And it is becoming just another media topic.

tetrasect

Expert Member
This explains why deaths are not showing as much, doctors have learnt how to treat it better. I mean we're also not seeing the pictures of the hospitals full of people and doctors rushing around.

I think that does make a difference but it's not the main difference.

If you remember at the beginning before/in the early days of lockdowns we had even more deaths globally than today (and hence more cases). Hospitals were overwhelmed because those outbreaks and accompanying deaths were mostly concentrated in specific areas/countries like NYC, Italy, France, Wuhan, Spain, UK, whereas now cases/deaths are spread out among pretty much every country in the world.

flippakitten

Expert Member
Yes, its fantastic. In a few months that fantastic restaurant would have to close its doors because it cannot sustain itself with the occasional hipster like yourself seated there. Most restaurants right now is on life support just hoping things can open up before they run out of funds even though you somehow think its fantastic to have all that space all to yourself.

I got one word for your frame of mind, DISGUSTING.

Socially distanced seating is fantastic and you know it.

It oviously can't stay like that but unfortunately there is still a pandemic which fills up hospitals, not really much I can do about that.

What I do is support local business buy a burger from the kiosk instead of Mcdonalds, buy meat from the butcher not the super market. Kick the Amazon/Take-a-lot habbit.

It's actually funny, people go on about supporting local and then buy from the supermarkets because it's cheaper. They'll tweet China is the devil from their iPhone made in China while wearing Mr Price clothing that falls apart in a year... made in China.

itsme2

Socially distanced seating is fantastic and you know it.

It oviously can't stay like that but unfortunately there is still a pandemic which fills up hospitals, not really much I can do about that.

What I do is support local business buy a burger from the kiosk instead of Mcdonalds, buy meat from the butcher not the super market. Kick the Amazon/Take-a-lot habbit.

It's actually funny, people go on about supporting local and then buy from the supermarkets because it's cheaper. They'll tweet China is the devil from their iPhone made in China while wearing Mr Price clothing that falls apart in a year... made in China.
Glass houses buddy...

Many people need to save as much as they can.

flippakitten

Expert Member
sounds like you need to be isolating rather. Also sounds like the hospitals are crippled by this, however they’re not?

Not at the moment, and some were definetly on the brink. In Italy they were.

It's not just a few people, it's wards full of people that need oxygen and the nurses that need to support them and all the PPE they have to wear.

It's not lying around feeling a bit ill, it's struggling to breath. We can harp on about percentages all day but convert that to numbers and there's a big glaring problem we've known about to years.

Underdunded and inadequate hospitals.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member

Good for you , unfortunately the majority have their expenses dictated to them by their wallets, not sentiment.

flippakitten

Expert Member
Glass houses buddy...

Good for you , unfortunately the majority have their expenses dictated to them by their wallets, not sentiment.

I'm talking about people shouting about how xyz is suffering due to covid and then simultaneously not supporting them.

You don't have to be rich to afford R30 more for a months worth of meat.

flippakitten

Expert Member

Also:

It can easily happen.

edit: @Lupus This video specifically mentions what you've been saying for a while now about "Doctors know how to treat covid19 now"

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Declining antibodies have nothing to do with declining immunity and virus memory (ie T-cells). Having antibodies means your body has recently been exposed to threat and had to protect itself. When no longer under threat, antibodies decline but memory stays. Unless of course the new threat looks different to the old one (ie mutation).

That's basic immunology that even elementary students understand

If you actually read the article, it is not so simple:
Exactly what the antibody drop means for immunity is still uncertain. There are other parts of the immune system, such as T-cells, which may also play a role, directly killing infected host cells and calling to other immune cells to help out.

However, the researchers warn antibodies tend to be highly predictive of who is protected.

Prof Wendy Barclay said: "We can see the antibodies and we can see them declining and we know antibodies on their own are quite protective.

"On the balance of evidence, I would say it would look as if immunity declines away at the same rate as antibodies decline away, and that this is an indication of waning immunity."

Paulsie

Expert Member
Glass houses buddy...

Viscious circle buddy. Remember Mr Ford paid his employees well so that they could all afford his vehicles?

Nowadays salary is a big cost that needs to be kept as low as possible (globally). Employees end up with no savings, have to borrow and goods have to be cheap and rubbish so people can afford them.

Hence we come full circle to your argument of people needing to save..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.