International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 3

Lupus

Honorary Master
When you look up "nanny state" in the dictionary do you get a picture of a kangaroo and one of those hats with all the corks on it?

That stereotype of Aussie yobbos drinking beer and being tough must surely be a myth.
Yeah perhaps all those fosters might have eroded their toughness.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Ja agree. I know of no one that has died directly from the bug. One family member died as a result of being denied "elective surgery" when it could have made a difference, and one family member who actually got the bug. That is it.

Yet the official all cause deaths figure (unadjusted for shortfalls in official reported deaths) did peak at a high level for a few weeks. So there must have been some or other evidence around in some areas?.
Still do find the conclusions drawn by some from the figures very dubious.

When you look up "nanny state" in the dictionary do you get a picture of a kangaroo and one of those hats with all the corks on it?

That stereotype of Aussie yobbos drinking beer and being tough must surely be a myth.
My mom's friend who emigrated to Perth messaged today to say she is "loving" the 3-day lockdown with a picture of takeaway pizzas. It's all rather disturbing.

Rosaudio

First Officer
Pretty awful scenes over in India

India's healthcare system is buckling as a record surge in Covid-19 cases puts pressure on hospital beds and drains oxygen supplies.
Families are left pleading for their relatives who are desperately ill, with some patients left untreated for hours.
Crematoriums are organising mass funeral pyres.
On Friday India reported 332,730 new cases of coronavirus, setting a world record for a second day running. Deaths were numbered at 2,263 in 24 hours.

Lupus

Honorary Master

Seems they are also only a few beds away from disaster at any time.

Nod

Executive Member
Until they start losing income, what exactly will a 3 day lockdown really achieve?
From my understanding it is for the government to perform contact tracing for anybody that might have contact with the new infected people, and then place those people in quarantine. Trying to limit the spread in that way. This is also how NZ is doing it.

Rosaudio

First Officer

Seems they are also only a few beds away from disaster at any time.
First article was about a single hospital in Delhi that people flock to for free treatment? The second during their first wave?

Not really sure I understand whatever point you're trying to make? Are they actually fine over there?

Lupus

Honorary Master
First article was about a single hospital in Delhi that people flock to for free treatment? The second during their first wave?

Not really sure I understand whatever point you're trying to make? Are they actually fine over there?
No, but it doesn't take a lot to make hospitals overflow sadly. They aren't designed for a lot of people or for extended stays, a friend was in India for awhile and says most hospitals there aren't great already. Much like South Africa :(

Paulsie

Expert Member
Until they start losing income, what exactly will a 3 day lockdown really achieve?
Not going to happen in Aus (losing income), as it is not happening in the UK. In the US, employers have difficulties finding low level employees as they all enjoy sitting at home, getting 1400USD in their pockets from government.

Simply not worth the effort to get up each day to earn extra 100USD a week.

UBI here we come - anything is possible and sky is the limit.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Encouraging numbers:
_118169186_optimised-vaccine_doses_per100_countries_rate23apr-nc.png

The health ministry said more than 53% of the country's population of about nine million people had received two doses of vaccine.
_118056278_cases_vs_mobility-1.png

In February, Israel's health ministry said studies revealed the risk of illness from the virus had dropped 95.8% among people who have had both doses of the Pfizer vaccine.

The country is preparing to start vaccinating children aged 12-15 as soon as the US Food and Drugs Administration, a regulator, approves vaccine use for people in that age bracket.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
'Just the flu bro' ....... the death rate may not be much of a percentage versus the recovery rate but its not just the damn flu. Gods I'm glad to not be in a 3rd world hole anymore.

Rosaudio

First Officer
Not going to happen in Aus (losing income), as it is not happening in the UK. In the US, employers have difficulties finding low level employees as they all enjoy sitting at home, getting 1400USD in their pockets from government.

Simply not worth the effort to get up each day to earn extra 100USD a week.

UBI here we come - anything is possible and sky is the limit.
I think you're in the wrong thread

Paulsie

Expert Member
I think you're in the wrong thread
Simply stating the countries with most stringent/extensive/prolonged lockdowns are able to print their own helicopter money and hand it out free if consequence, while the rest of the world tries to copy their actions without the same ability to support their lockdown stricken population in the same way. So those populations suffer as a consequence. BECAUSE OF Covid. I think I'm exactly where I belong.