International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 3

Paulsie

Expert Member

Two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech covid-19 vaccine provide more than 95% protection against infection, hospital admission, and death, including among older people, a peer reviewed study from Israel has found.

Seven days after a second dose, the Pfizer vaccine provided everyone aged over 16 with 95.3% protection (95% confidence interval 94.9 to 95.7) against infection, 97.2% (96.8 to 97.5) protection against hospital admission overall, 97.5% (97.1 to 97.8) protection against severe and critical hospital admission, and 96.7% protection (96.0 to 97.3) against death.

By 14 days after the second dose, protections for everyone over 16 increased to 96.5% (96.3 to 96.8) against infection, 98.0% (97.7 to 98.3) against hospital admission overall, 98.4% (98.1 to 98.6) against severe and critical hospital admission, and 98.1% (97.6 to 98.5) against death.
So to put these numbers into perspective, if 33.5 million people are vaccinated, 1.5% of them can still die? The 1.5% being approx 500,000, which is pretty much what the US has reported since the start of this whole thing?

buka001

Honorary Master
So to put these numbers into perspective, if 33.5 million people are vaccinated, 1.5% of them can still die? The 1.5% being approx 500,000, which is pretty much what the US has reported since the start of this whole thing?
No.

Dave

Honorary Master

Jesus Christ…

are you seriously so obtuse?

Dave

Honorary Master

Turns out it was Wales that let the side down.

Zero coronavirus deaths have been announced in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland on Monday.

Wales recorded four deaths meaning that, overall, the UK showed a slight increase on the two deaths recorded on Sunday.

Rosaudio

First Officer
Lol, the sad thing is, many people will think exactly along these lines..

A Misleading C.D.C. Number

Some interesting paragraphs (remember this next time the politicians utter the famous phrase, "following the science").

When the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released new guidelines last month for mask wearing, it announced that “less than 10 percent” of Covid-19 transmission was occurring outdoors. Media organizations repeated the statistic, and it quickly became a standard description of the frequency of outdoor transmission.

But the number is almost certainly misleading.

It appears to be based partly on a misclassification of some Covid transmission that actually took place in enclosed spaces (as I explain below). An even bigger issue is the extreme caution of C.D.C. officials, who picked a benchmark — 10 percent — so high that nobody could reasonably dispute it.

That benchmark “seems to be a huge exaggeration,” as Dr. Muge Cevik, a virologist at the University of St. Andrews, said. In truth, the share of transmission that has occurred outdoors seems to be below 1 percent and may be below 0.1 percent, multiple epidemiologists told me. The rare outdoor transmission that has happened almost all seems to have involved crowded places or close conversation.

Saying that less than 10 percent of Covid transmission occurs outdoors is akin to saying that sharks attack fewer than 20,000 swimmers a year. (The actual worldwide number is around 150.) It’s both true and deceiving.

These recommendations would be more grounded in science if anywhere close to 10 percent of Covid transmission were occurring outdoors. But it is not. There is not a single documented Covid infection anywhere in the world from casual outdoor interactions, such as walking past someone on a street or eating at a nearby table.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Report into failures and wasted opportunities to control the start of the pandemic:
The panel argued that the WHO's Emergency Committee should have declared the outbreak in China an international emergency a week earlier than it did.

It should have done so at its first meeting on 22 January last year, the report said, instead of waiting until 30 January.
The month following the WHO's declaration was "lost" as countries failed to take appropriate measures to halt the spread of the virus.

The WHO was then hindered by its own regulations that travel restrictions should be a last resort, the panel said, adding that Europe and the US wasted the entire month of February and acted only when their hospitals began to fill up.
The panel calls for better processes and structures to spot the next highly infectious pathogen. As well as better funding for the World Health Organization to make it stronger and give it more teeth.

After the worst shock to the global economy since World War Two, all countries will agree that it's a case of "never again". But will meaningful reform be possible when so much of the current response is still about putting national interests first?

flippakitten

Expert Member
Meanwhile some of us in SA were accused of being entitled when we questioned the intelligence behind closing all outdoors and forcing people indoors.

Lol, how to twist words to appear you were right. We were told to stay home, which happens to be indoors. It's not like they closed the beaches and left cinemas open.

Also, I specifically remember most people questioning why beaches were closed, or have you forgotten the "Beaches are closed because ANC heard covid comes in waves" joke?

Paulsie

Expert Member
Lol, how to twist words to appear you were right. We were told to stay home, which happens to be indoors. It's not like they closed the beaches and left cinemas open.

Also, I specifically remember most people questioning why beaches were closed, or have you forgotten the "Beaches are closed because ANC heard covid comes in waves" joke?
Why do you but in when it was not even aimed at you? I was purely using your post as a follow on.

But since you did bother....they did not just close beaches, they closed parks, streets, the front of your gate that faces the street (remember you were not even allowed to set foot outside your gate), lone walks with your dog etc. BECAUSE it was so dangerous to be outside and they could not trust people not to come too close to one another - turns out unnecessarily.

And I'm not only talking about level 5 in SA. I'm also talking about Christmas, where beaches were closed, but malls (which is INDOORS for your information) were open. THAT is how they forced people indoors.

And SA was not the only country to do that.

Daveogg

Expert Member
Why do you but in when it was not even aimed at you? I was purely using your post as a follow on.

But since you did bother....they did not just close beaches, they closed parks, streets, the front of your gate that faces the street (remember you were not even allowed to set foot outside your gate), lone walks with your dog etc. BECAUSE it was so dangerous to be outside and they could not trust people not to come too close to one another - turns out unnecessarily.

And I'm not only talking about level 5 in SA. I'm also talking about Christmas, where beaches were closed, but malls (which is INDOORS for your information) were open. THAT is how they forced people indoors.

You have seen Durban beachfront at Christmas? Consider how did these masses get to the beachfront and how do they get home?

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 16

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You have seen Durban beachfront at Christmas? Consider how did these masses get to the beachfront and how do they get home?
Simple, in bus and taxi Covid pressure cookers

Last edited:

flippakitten

Expert Member

It's a public forum, anyone can join in whenever they please, even more so when you quote their posts.

Where you allowed to hang out in malls, go to the cinema and sit in restaurants. Or was it just to do shopping? No, you where supposed to just do your shopping and leave.

One minute you're going on about the economy and the next you're on about being forced inside.

My original point still stands though, very few, if any, round here agrees with beaches being closed.

Paulsie

Expert Member
One minute you're going on about the economy and the next you're on about being forced inside.

My original point still stands though, very few, if any, round here agrees with beaches being closed.
My post had nothing to do with the economy nor with beaches per se. It was about thinking that being anywhere outside is dangerous too - it is NOT.